Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-09-2010, 01:31 AM   #1
Running Man
Running Man began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS350 & PRS650, Kobo EReader, Acer 1830TimelineX
Talking Newspapers on Original Kobo

Okay - this is for all of those that want to get some form of newspaper on the Original Kobo Ereader that is readable. I have downloaded newspapers from Sony's website - http://ebookstore.sony.com/, and from www.canada.com (National Post, Vancouver Sun, Times Colonist, Ottawa Citizen, etc). They are in the format of epub with lots of table of content and chapters so you can browse your newspaper. From the Sony website, just download the newspaper and drag and drop it into your ereader (hopefully it is in epub format). From the canada.com website, when you download the newspaper, choose the Sony Ereader device format (it does not list the Kobo EReader). You can either download the epub file directly to your Kobo Reader via your computer or download the newspaper to your computer and drag and drop it into your Kobo Ereader. The newspapers seems to work on my Kobo Ereader with out any problem. You do get some pictures with text, and it is formating is not bad. I did download a newpaper from The Globe and Mail website, but it is in PDF format. The Kobo Ereader doesn't handle it very well.
I guess if you want to enjoy newspapers on your ereader, check the newspapers own website and see if you can download it to ereaders. If so, you might be in luck

Cheers
Running Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:15 AM   #2
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
For a longer time I read feeds and find them appropriate. I assume
the content to be the same or similar to head news on the web site.
Almost all of web issues have a link to the feed and a lot of them to
choose. Imagine life without slashdot? Wrong or right, none could
call them obsolete. Regarding the topic, personally, I'd put my atten-
tion to text oriented content. The nature of the device is not for
pictures, especially if the color makes the difference. My best bet
is: almost all users would take rss reader as adequate for their hunger
for news. When at home, they could go after web issue as well.
Someone think it is on the same level as newspapers?
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Kobo support has said (I believe on the FB discussion page) that they are working to have kobo listed as an alternative for newspaper downloads--also that if Cool-er is listed, that version plays well with Kobo.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

This one?
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?ui...91&topic=16203
Old 11-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Yes, Z--that one!
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
Running Man
Running Man began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS350 & PRS650, Kobo EReader, Acer 1830TimelineX
Thanks for the facebook page
Running Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:51 AM   #7
zoran
himself

I'm sure people have paid for daily news and want them on the reader.
Otherwise, take an instance, if you live in NYC:
http://www.nytimes.com/
A lot of short news and links to full stories. Somewhere on the very
bottom of the page, lives the rss link to the page:
http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/index.html
Imagine that you are interested in local news, so you take:
http://feeds.nytimes.com/nyt/rss/NYRegion
To get there. one does not need to fulfill the same route every day.
Rss feed is always the same. I follow ones for years, on the same link.
The problem might be the hyperlink. Without internet access and fine
browser, no go. An example I gave has all links on the same domain.
Some other doesn't, but put you all over the world. So, I see 2 ways
to get newspapers on version 1.
First, to follow subscription in epub and load it to the reader by the
hand or via desktop application.
Second, to unload the reader and build browser with, at least, html
version 4. It could be done if people forget preloaded books and
wait a bit for the page to load. I'm not positive if hardware is fast
for that. And how memory footprint comes in. K3 has browser and
people use it for almost all mundane tasks one might imagine. Does
it make k3 better choice? To me, epub is the very strength of kobo.
There are signs of fbreader for k3, but years could pass by to have
it on.
My choice would be to read books in epub on kobo and read news
some other way.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
michael_h
michael_h began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ebook reader
I'm now less concerned with being able to read newspapers on the Kobo device since learning how to sync Calibre with various news RSS feeds. Since the two sources I sought (CBC and Globe and Mail) are both free, they automatically feed to my computers (home and work) each morning.

Not as convenient as reading the paper on the Kobo itself, but an acceptable alternative.
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote