Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #736
ianc
ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3
Quote:
Are you sure you used Modify Epub or converted to actually embed the metadata summaries?
Quote:
@ianc it shows my book summaries well.
Hmmm... very odd. Yes, my modus operandi with epubs is to load them in Calibre, modify (download) the metadata, then convert them to epub (even if they were already epub), then save them to disk, then copy to my phone (Samsung Galaxy S3 running Android 4.1.1). My other changes such as author sort, cover, series, etc. are all saving properly using this method, but I just cannot see the summary anywhere.

Ideal for me would be the ability to view the summary in the screen which results from a long press on the book in the browse list. Then you wouldn't actually need to open the book to get an idea what it's about.

Hopefully Buggins might be able to comment one day. Thanks all,

ianc
ianc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #737
NWKENT
NWKENT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NWKENT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NWKENT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NWKENT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NWKENT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NWKENT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NWKENT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NWKENT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NWKENT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NWKENT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NWKENT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Motorola XYBoard 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I can not answer any of your questions regarding feature requests, but I can say that I have seen continual development by Buggins on this app for some years now. I first started using Coolreader on a now obsolete e-ink ereader, and now on Android. There was recently a major change in the look and feel of the Android Coolreader, and I like it even better now.
Thank you very much..I look forward to more development with this awesome app. Hope the Dev. continues to take into consideration of the users input..

send by my Motorola Droid XYBoard MZ617-32 10.1 ICS 4.04
NWKENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:45 AM   #738
iamosam
Enthusiast
iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Is there anyway I can add a new font to the coolreader desktop application? In the preferences window it only shows a subset of the fonts installed on the system. Can someone help me please?

P.S.: I wonder why the desktop application is not updated for quite sometime. (considering, this is the best ebook reader in both linux and windows.
iamosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #739
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamosam View Post
Is there anyway I can add a new font to the coolreader desktop application? In the preferences window it only shows a subset of the fonts installed on the system. Can someone help me please?

P.S.: I wonder why the desktop application is not updated for quite sometime. (considering, this is the best ebook reader in both linux and windows.
Create a fonts folder under the program folder, windows example:
Code:
c:\myprogs\coolreader\fonts
And copy your desired TTF or OTF fonts to that folder. I use Georgia TTF on Android/Linux/Windows. It does seem the desktop versions are not as polished as the android version. Also, the Linux desktop version has a flaw where you must run as root in order to save or update app settings. General book reading can be done under a normal account.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #740
Jack Schmidling
Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet
I am running cool Reader on a Nook N2A card. Love CR Read Aloud feature but have problems loading edited epubs.

I like knowing where the book ends before I get there so I remove the Gutenburg boilerplate at the end but CR will not accept these files after they have been modified.

There is no such problem with Mantano or other readers.

I am editing with Sigil.

Any ideas?

jack
Jack Schmidling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #741
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Schmidling View Post
I am running cool Reader on a Nook N2A card. Love CR Read Aloud feature but have problems loading edited epubs.
I can't offer any help for your specific case, but I can say that I use Sigil on about half of the epubs I read, to tweak alignment or paragraph spacing, etc. The modified books work in Coolreader for Android, Linux, and Windows. There are some rather vague settings in Sigil which can affect how it reads/writes files.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #742
April
April ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.April ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.April ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.April ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.April ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.April ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.April ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.April ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.April ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.April ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.April ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: htc one x phone
I've been using cool reader for a few months on my phone (htc one x, android version 4.1.1), and the last few weeks, the crashing has been driving me crazy. Sometimes it crashes every 2-3 page turns, and when I re-open it, I'm up to 200 pages back! I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program, but no luck.

I seriously love cool reader, and although I've tried a couple of other programs that don't crash, I don't like them nearly as much. Help, please??
April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #743
Jack Schmidling
Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Schmidling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
I can't offer any help for your specific case, but I can say that I use Sigil on about half of the epubs I read, to tweak alignment or paragraph spacing, etc. The modified books work in Coolreader for Android, Linux, and Windows. There are some rather vague settings in Sigil which can affect how it reads/writes files.
That's interesting because I just download CR for Windows and have the same problem. I was about to conclude that it's a Nook or n2a problem but now that's not the case.

So what are the "vague setings"?

js
Old 01-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #744
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Dictionary help needed.

I just set up my Nexus 7 with and downloaded Fora Dictionary. On my previous table (Nook Color) a double press on a word brought up the dictionary for the word. Cannot get this to work with the latest version all I get is a number of icons on the bottom.

What do I need to do to access the dictionary, I have set it up in settings by checking Fora.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:57 AM   #745
iamosam
Enthusiast
iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Create a fonts folder under the program folder, windows example:
Code:
c:\myprogs\coolreader\fonts
And copy your desired TTF or OTF fonts to that folder.
Thank you, that worked. The windows version I downloaded, did not even have an installer, rather came as something like a portable folder. I created a fonts folder inside that and coolreader picked it up. (I don't know why the installed system fonts are not available by default)

Quote:
It does seem the desktop versions are not as polished as the android version. Also, the Linux desktop version has a flaw where you must run as root in order to save or update app settings. General book reading can be done under a normal account.
Not at all polished. No updates etc., no rpm version for linux (only deb), the preferences window feels like archaic. And the linux bug is a joke (I spend like a week trying to figure out how to make changes stick, finally got the answer from this forum).

But even with all these flows, coolreader excels in performance. Superfast and responsive. Calibre will take like hours to open some docs. and coolreader will open it in the blink of an eye. The 2-page reading, formatting options (white letters on black background) and marking chapters in the scrollbar etc. are awesome. There are no other applications that is even close (except calibre). I hope they spend more time on the desktop version.

Last edited by iamosam; 01-29-2013 at 07:01 AM.
iamosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #746
ianc
ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ianc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3
Quote:
Dictionary help needed.

I just set up my Nexus 7 with and downloaded Fora Dictionary. On my previous table (Nook Color) a double press on a word brought up the dictionary for the word. Cannot get this to work with the latest version all I get is a number of icons on the bottom.
Make sure you have 'Single Selection Action' set to 'Find in Dictionary' and 'Text Selection with double tap' checked in the little pointy finger section of the options, and your dictionary setting set to Fora,

ianc
ianc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #747
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Cool Reader is my favourite epub reader app so far. Use it on my Galaxy Note.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #748
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
Make sure you have 'Single Selection Action' set to 'Find in Dictionary' and 'Text Selection with double tap' checked in the little pointy finger section of the options, and your dictionary setting set to Fora,

ianc
Thank you, that solved it.

The only problem I can find with CR is that there are so many options available. The single selection must have previously been the default as I can not recall changing this on earlier versions and am sure updates maintain what you had. As this was a new load on a new Nexus it didn't pick up my previous preferences
Old 02-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #749
Jack Schmidling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post

ianc
Wow! Solved half of my problem.

The rest of the problem is that the simplest word, can not be found by Fora and all I get is "No results" and the usual links. By simplest word , I really mean any word. It can never find any word but at least your fix has simplified getting there.

js
Old 02-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #750
goldberry
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Schmidling View Post
Wow! Solved half of my problem.

The rest of the problem is that the simplest word, can not be found by Fora and all I get is "No results" and the usual links. By simplest word , I really mean any word. It can never find any word but at least your fix has simplified getting there.

js
Try Colordict see if that is better.

Tags
cool reader, fb2 epub rtf chm fbreader