Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-01-2009, 01:22 AM   #1
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Automatic font embedding - or something else?

A reader of my blog has a curious problem - from all description it seems to me that his Calibre is configured to automatically embed fonts without czech support:

1) He starts with an EPUB with czech (eastern-europen) characters
2) He converts that EPUB into LRF
3) He copies that LRF to the Reader (PRS-505)
4) The Reader fails to display czech characters

If I start with the same EPUB as he and convert it to LRF using my Calibre, the LRF displays fine on my Reader. I sent my LRF to the guy and his Reader displays it just fine, too. He tells me that he has "None" in all font-embedding options in the conversion dialog, and he tells me he gets the same result with both Mac and Windows version of Calibre (Mac being the default).

Does Calibre have some configuration file where embedding could be specified regardless of GUI? Because that's about the only thing I can imagine that would show described behavior.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Tt's easy to check if an LRF file has embedded fonts, just run lrf2lrs on it and if it has embedded fonts they will be extracted. And note that conversion settings for individual books override the defaults
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

I am mystified, then. What could be causing this problem if not embedded fonts, caused by some hidden configuration option? I honestly have no idea where to look to find and possibly solve the problem.

Btw., I have been told that the command line version works fine, it's just conversion through GUI that is causing the problem. No information about the version of Calibre yet, though.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As far as I know there are no "hidden" config options. Still calibre is a complex system and there may be a bug causing this. Have you checked that there are no embedded fonts?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
pepak
Guru

Problem solved - the conversion was going OK, it's just that the guy was sending a wrong file into the Reader :-)
Advert