Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
I received word from Adobe that the Kindle DX's integration of the Adobe Reader Mobile SDK only includes PDF support, but not support for EPUB or Adobe Content Server 4 yet.

At least it's a first step.
In my opinion, it's the wrong step. It's a step that may hurt ePub and tell the world that PDF is a great eBook format. This is just so wrong on so many levels. Amazon botched the DX big time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #77
swalke16
swalke16 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle v1
Annotations supported in pdf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
Shame users will only be able to highlight text if they've got a properly OCRed PDF.

Do you know this for sure somewhere? From the user guide pdf it appears that the "Add Note & Highlight" menu item is disabled in the PDF. I couldn't find anything anywhere saying definitively if PDF annotation would be supported or not.

If it is supported in properly OCRed files at least I will be all over buying one of these. If you can't annotate PDF files at all it is a total deal breaker for me.
swalke16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #78
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
I like it, mostly. But I am not pre-ordering, yet.

First, it does seem it was a preemptive strike, against all the other 9.7" which are about to roll out, and probably against the 10" Apple notepad. The K DX is a reasonably sexy design, but so might be some of the competitors' readers, and some may have real touch screens, which would be sexier.

Second, while it says "native" support for PDF, it also says it can display "most" PDFs. This can mean many things, but I'll wait and see. Plus, I am not sure their description implies reflowable PDF support, or PDF search capability, or zooming, or PDF dictionary support.

So, me thinks, there is little reason to pre-order, until they are close to shipping, and we know what else is on the market at that time, and what exactly the KDX's PDF support consists of.

P.S. Also, while 4GB sounds like a lot, a PDF title can easily be 20 megs or more (much more).... So, without card support, one can fill this up fast.

Last edited by Sonist; 05-06-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #79
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Looks like the larger screen - except for PDF and image viewing - is largely wasted. You can put more text on the screen by choosing smaller text size, but then the line length is too long to be very readable. Should be an option to split into two columns, at least when in landscape mode - I didn't see this ability in the user manual.

Also, they really need to add better Unicode display support (Cyrillic, Chinese/Japanese/Korean) if they are targeting educational. While they are at it they can add this to K2 as well. Guess we will know when they ship, but it would be nice to know before that.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #80
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Second, while it says "native" support for PDF, it also says it can display "most" PDFs. This can mean many things, but I'll wait and see.
Well, the K DX does not support Adobe Content Server 4. So I suppose PDFs protected with that solution won't run on the DX.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #81
politicorific
politicorific began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
I'm holding my breath until I see some reviewers throw some real pdf files at it. PDF has gone through so many revisions, just like every adobe format, that it has to support of lot of different types of encoding. A lot of content has been scanned in without converting via OCR, so essentially it's a lot of bitmaps or other compressed graphics. I want to see how it deals with 400 mb pdfs that are only a couple hundred pages long, which is another drawback of not having an SD slot. I'm more concerned about legacy support than anything else. For new creations I really have no wish to become a latex expert when epub will do just fine - mobi just doesn't have the presentation capabilities epub has.
politicorific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #82
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by swalke16 View Post
Do you know this for sure somewhere? From the user guide pdf it appears that the "Add Note & Highlight" menu item is disabled in the PDF. I couldn't find anything anywhere saying definitively if PDF annotation would be supported or not.

If it is supported in properly OCRed files at least I will be all over buying one of these. If you can't annotate PDF files at all it is a total deal breaker for me.
You're kidding, right? Although I'd guess you aren't. Anyway, that would really make the PDF support (assuming it's meant mostly for textbooks that are hard to layout in .mobi) pretty much useless.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #83
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Hey, everybody. I actually attended the Amazon press conference today. (I said I was "from mobileread.com"; I hope you don't mind, Alex!) I took some pictures and some video, and got to handle the DX a little bit. I'll be starting another thread with some comments, pics, info, and links to movies, as soon as they finish uploading to Youtube.

In the meantime I'll say that it seems to me like a killer app. Amazon just totally raised the bar with this. I don't know about pdf highlighting/note-taking, but I can say that pdfs are totally readable even in portrait orientation. In landscape orientation, you're essentially seeing the pdf full-size, half a page at a time. The screen is 8"x5.5", which is pretty much half of a standard letter-sized page.

The DX is a bit heavy and feels quite solid. I'm not a huge fan of the buttons, but the keyboard is unobtrusive and seems to serve its purpose.

More soon!
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #84
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharker View Post
Hey, everybody. I actually attended the Amazon press conference today. (I said I was "from mobileread.com"; I hope you don't mind, Alex!) I took some pictures and some video, and got to handle the DX a little bit. I'll be starting another thread with some comments, pics, info, and links to movies, as soon as they finish uploading to Youtube.

Did you meet Dennis? Too bad I didn't know earlier, you guys could have said hello to each other.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #85
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Looks like the larger screen - except for PDF and image viewing - is largely wasted. You can put more text on the screen by choosing smaller text size, but then the line length is too long to be very readable.
Actually, there's a menu option to change the column width from full page to a narrower column, in addition to changing the text size. I don't remember seeing anything about multi-column mode, though.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #86
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I preordered the DX. Larger screen and PDF support makes it a no brainer.

I strongly dislike PDF for fiction but I literally have a wall of craft books (needlearts and others) that will be great on the DX once I scan and convert them to PDF. PDF is a great document format for technical books that contain lots of tables and charts (sounds like a lot like my craft books!)

Not supporting ePub doesn't really bother me. It's one of those "It'd be nice" but it won't stop me from preordering the DX.

I'll still keep my K2 for portable reading.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #87
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
In case anyone cares... the DX's model number is: D00611
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:00 PM   #88
kuliand
Connoisseur
kuliand doesn't litterkuliand doesn't litter

Device: sony prs505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
They didn't say, but since they've said they won't do Kindle's for elsewhere until publishers build up a decent library of ebooks they can sell (at least 90,000 titles like they had for K1's launch IIRC) I doubt the DX will be any more available than the K1 or K2.
Well i don't believe that is i good reason sony seem to have quite a few books plus once publishers have a device to sell too they might get and realese more books in ebook format just like record companies had to wake up and sell music online. What are the chances of being able to import a kindle DX to the uk?
kuliand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:00 PM   #89
swalke16
swalke16 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle v1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
You're kidding, right? Although I'd guess you aren't. Anyway, that would really make the PDF support (assuming it's meant mostly for textbooks that are hard to layout in .mobi) pretty much useless.
I completely agree! And no I'm not kidding...

See the guide page #66.

It clearly states:

Quote:
The options available while reading a PDF file are slightly different than when reading a book or a periodical on Kindle. Options that are not available in PDF files are grayed out in the menu.
Below which there is a picture of the menu and the "Add a note or highlight" option is grayed out.

I've got one pre-ordered, but will cancel spot-on if I find out annotations in PDF are not supported.
swalke16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:00 PM   #90
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think lack of ePub is only going to do ALL OF US a disservice as it helps to push PDF as an eBook format. Amazon should be ashamed of themselves.
I share the sentiment, but it sounds like this is full-blown PDF with DRM support obtained by licensing Adobe code. It is interesting to see if Kindle can be registered to work with ADE (to download DRM-ed PDF's). It is also interesting that ePub support is optional in "Adobe Mobile Reader" platform.

I hope that Adobe is not having second thoughts about ePub. That would be very frightening news.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote