Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-04-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
hahler2
hahler2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Need help converting a book for my Kindle

I wasn't paying attention the other day when I was buying books, and didn't notice that one that I bought wasn't in a Kindle format. It's in a .pdb format. I am very new to the ebook reading thing (just got my Kindle two days ago) and I'm wondering how do I convert a .pdb ebook to work on my Kindle? I'm sure I will have to strip the DRM first, and then convert. Could someone help me with this please? I use a mac computer, but I have Windows installed through VMware.
hahler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahler2 View Post
I wasn't paying attention the other day when I was buying books, and didn't notice that one that I bought wasn't in a Kindle format. It's in a .pdb format. I am very new to the ebook reading thing (just got my Kindle two days ago) and I'm wondering how do I convert a .pdb ebook to work on my Kindle? I'm sure I will have to strip the DRM first, and then convert. Could someone help me with this please? I use a mac computer, but I have Windows installed through VMware.

You might try contacting the site you bought the books from. Most are very understanding, and would allow a credit to re-purchase in the .prc (mobi) format.
(I"m not familiar with .pdb?)
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2009, 10:42 PM   #3
hahler2

.pdb is for ereader. Also I looked at the site to see if I could do that and they only carry the book in that format.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I am very new to the ebook reading thing (just got my Kindle two days ago) and I'm wondering how do I convert a .pdb ebook to work on my Kindle?
I'm curious. Why would the first book(s) you buy for your Kindle be NOT from the Kindle store? The Kindle book store is one of the best parts of Kindle ownership.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:24 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
.pdb is for ereader. Also I looked at the site to see if I could do that and they only carry the book in that format.
Which site did you buy this from?
Advert
Old 01-04-2009, 11:25 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Use ereader2html to strip the DRM. This is a Python script, so see Visual Kindle Guide, (KindlePID and KindleFIX) for how to run Python scripts on the Mac.

The resulting HTML can be mailed to Amazon for conversion, or import it into Windows MobiPocket Reader (the resulting MOBI will be in My Documets\My eBooks).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
hahler2

Thank you! And I didn't buy it from the Kindle store because it wasn't offered in the Kindle Store. Otherwise I would have.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you! And I didn't buy it from the Kindle store because it wasn't offered in the Kindle Store. Otherwise I would have.
That makes sense.

BOb
Old 01-07-2009, 01:10 PM   #9
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
That makes sense.

BOb
CJ Cherryh's book The Paladin which I was searching for did finally show up. But only as a .pdb doc.
So I got that even though it is the only .pdb I own.

Last edited by Phogg; 01-07-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #10
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've had luck renaming the .pdb file to .prc, and loading that to my Kindle

Paul
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post

Paul
Yes, some PDBs are PalmDOC files where are a subset of Mobipocket and most mobipocket readers will read them just fine. But, this is not the case if it is an eReader format.

BOb
Old 01-07-2009, 04:28 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post

Paul
Would you please check the wiki article Palm Database File Code and tell us what characters you found in the file based on opening it in a text editor like Notepad.

Thanks,
Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #13
VDR928
VDR928 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I obtained my PID (Kindle 2) but have had to have knee surgery and have not gone any further with it. I got an email from the library today that a Overdrive book I req. was ready for download. I downloaded it and sent it to Amazon to convert. They sent it back but when I put it on the Kindle it says "can't open on this device, to buy the book from Amazon". I don't want to BUY the book when it is offered free at my library! It is mobi..? format, I think, but when the files were returned from Amazon they contain the word /Kindle/ in the title..?
Where is the link for Mac users... I can't find the next step after obtaining the PID?
VDR928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:11 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDR928 View Post
I obtained my PID (Kindle 2) but have had to have knee surgery and have not gone any further with it. I got an email from the library today that a Overdrive book I req. was ready for download. I downloaded it and sent it to Amazon to convert. They sent it back but when I put it on the Kindle it says "can't open on this device, to buy the book from Amazon". I don't want to BUY the book when it is offered free at my library! It is mobi..? format, I think, but when the files were returned from Amazon they contain the word /Kindle/ in the title..?
Where is the link for Mac users... I can't find the next step after obtaining the PID?

Unfortunately, we can no longer post script links.

Reminder To everyone: Please refrain from posting direct download links to any tools or scripts that may be used to circumvent copyright protections. If in doubt, you can message a moderator for assistance. Thank you.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:35 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDR928 View Post
I obtained my PID (Kindle 2) but have had to have knee surgery and have not gone any further with it. I got an email from the library today that a Overdrive book I req. was ready for download. I downloaded it and sent it to Amazon to convert.
This is an entirely legal use of lending library ebooks, but mobileread has caved to pressure from Amazon and has deleted instructions on how to use KindlePID (which you have already used) and KindleFIX (which, apparently, Amazon did not complain about). Note that Google caches some pages, so you may still be able to find the wiki page "KindleFIX Mac" somewhere or other.

You don't need to email the KindleFIXed file to Amazon. Like DRM-free MOBI ebooks, just copy it via USB to the Kindle's "documents" directory.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote