Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-26-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
BOOX ebook reader by Onyx International

A new ebook reader is going to be announced next week at the CeBIT show: It's called the BOOX. I've heard back from developers, and they will be releasing more info tomorrow. Here is what we know so far:

Quote:
Technical Specs
Content Formats Supported
EPUB PDF HTML TXT CHM MOBI
JPG/BMP/PNG/GIF/TIFF
MP3

Interfaces
Touch Screen
USB Type A Connector For USB Memory Stick
SD/MMC Slot
2.5mm Stereo Audio Jack
(Optional)WIFI 802.11g Wireless LAN

System Specification
Processor: 532 MHz
Ram: 128MB
Flash memory: 512MB
Screen: 6-Inch
The specs say it has a touchscreen, and if you look at the picture you'll see that only one button is visible below the screen. I wonder if that button is anything like the Zune swipe pad?

Onyx will be at CeBIT next week at Hall 19, Stand B18. If anyone who will be there can take some pictures, we'd appreciate it.

Update: Onyx added more product information to their website this morning. My rpevious information source was a product listing on the CeBIT website. Read here for more information:
http://www.onyx-international.com/cms/product-box.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0090115032608-BOOX_o.jpg
Views:	2246
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	24471   Click image for larger version

Name:	boox.gif
Views:	2750
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	24474   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.gif
Views:	2222
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	24475   Click image for larger version

Name:	booxposter.jpg
Views:	2169
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	24548  
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Mobipocket really ? Even Bookeen and iLiad are adopting ePub at this point, supporting Mobipocket instead of ePub seems very "old school" to me.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Mobipocket really ? Even Bookeen and iLiad are adopting ePub at this point, supporting Mobipocket instead of ePub seems very "old school" to me.
I bet they ported someone else's ebook reader software to their device to provide a certain minimum of functionality. We'll find out more tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i agree, i was suprised as well that they don't mention epub support. i wouldn't buy any device which doesn't support epub, at this point.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I bet they ported someone else's ebook reader software to their device to provide a certain minimum of functionality. We'll find out more tomorrow.
There's a standard Java version of Mobipocket, that's probably what they're using.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I found a second picture:
Old 02-26-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

that's odd, it looks like it has a button in back as well ? i'll be really curious to see how the navigation works on this one.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:23 AM   #8
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
More competition. Nice.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Got it in my CeBIT planner...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:31 AM   #10
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
that's odd, it looks like it has a button in back as well ? i'll be really curious to see how the navigation works on this one.
If it is what it look slike, it cold make a great deal of sense to have a button placed on the backside. Definitely looks interesting.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:38 AM   #11
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I'd also like to see their price.

I doubt it will have something I'd really want to have,or something that can convince m to buy it.

I hope they continue development one with a larger screen!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:40 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Multiple Formats Support
Most popular ebook formats are well supported, including PDF, TXT, HTML, CHM, RTF, Mobipocket (Non-DRM), PDB, JPG, PNG, BMP, TIFF, and even MP3. More are on the way.
Just give them time on the ePub....

I like the looks of this thing!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:42 AM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Just give them time on the ePub....

I like the looks of this thing!
yep, it's another one to watch, especially since epub support could come via a fw update.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #14
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
I hope the price turns out nice. Looks great!
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:17 AM   #15
nelsonescorcio
Zealot
nelsonescorcio doesn't litternelsonescorcio doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Nothing new, really.

No better contrast (same screen as others), not faster, not anything.
Touchscreen? What in the hell for? Touchscreens seem cool, and it is "chic" to have one.
But no advantages at all - on the contrary!

Besides, and as many already said, no Epub?

I cant´t see what can this device offer to someone who as an Sony Reader, Kindle, iRex ou Cybook... And for those who have not already bought a dedicated e-reading device, will most probably prefer something that as proven itself on the market.

On last thing: is THERE market for all the players comming out? I doubt.

Last edited by nelsonescorcio; 02-26-2009 at 10:19 AM.
nelsonescorcio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boox, onyx