Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 11-13-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
Chicky
Book addict
Chicky began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hey. I'm Sarah, and I'm writing a fantasy book!

I have been working on a fantasy book for the past three years, and I am actually trying to find a publisher that will take unsolicited authors and submissions. The only publishers I have found so far aren't that good. Help would be nice.
Chicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Welcome Sarah. Can't help with a publisher but would be glad to read your book. I am so good at writing () that I can not even imagine getting started in three life times, let alone three years. I admire anyone who can.

Good luck. There are some writers here who might help.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Sarah and welcome to the Forum. Some writers here who can give you advice. And there is no end of voracious bookworms here who will be rooting for you. Perhaps you could post a chapter or excerpt from your book here
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:34 AM   #4
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Welcome Sarah. Let us know your work.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:50 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Baen Books accepts unsolicited manuscripts. See

http://www.baen.com/submit.htm

But for almost anyone else you're going to need an agent. Nearly all publishers now only accept submissions through an agent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky View Post
I have been working on a fantasy book for the past three years, and I am actually trying to find a publisher that will take unsolicited authors and submissions. The only publishers I have found so far aren't that good. Help would be nice.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2008, 05:08 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One suggestion: before you submit it, get it checked by someone else for grammatical errors. It's very difficult to spot your own mistakes!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:57 PM   #7
Chicky
Book addict
Chicky began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One suggestion: before you submit it, get it checked by someone else for grammatical errors. It's very difficult to spot your own mistakes!
Thanks. I actually have two English teachers and an author assisting me in that area.
Chicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:40 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Well if you would like someone local to give it a read, I'd be happy to do so. Plus I can also help get it in a few different eBook formats if you'd like.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:41 PM   #9
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Have you considered publishing your book via Amazon on Kindle?
Your up-front costs are zero (except for writting the book and formatting it for the Kindle, Of course). You get relatively fair share of the money people pay for your e-book. The e-book is DRM protected(*), so you do not have to worry that people will be sharing it on pirate sites.
The only problem I see will be persuading people to buy your book ;-)

(*) not that I like DRM protected e-books but from your point of view it gives you peace of mind
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #10
UtterInanity
UtterInanity is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505, iRex DR1000S
Well, I'm just starting a publishing business, and I'm in the process of looking for authors. It works under a different model from traditional publishers, and allows for an author to make an amount that they think is fair for the work they put in, and yet still have the book freely available, with no DRM. If this sounds like something you'd be interested in, send me a message and I'll send you the link to the site. (I don't want anyone to think I'm spamming )
UtterInanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtterInanity View Post
(I don't want anyone to think I'm spamming )
If you have a DRM free book store that is legitimate we would all love a link. Since I asked you wouldn't be spamming.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:22 PM   #12
UtterInanity
UtterInanity is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505, iRex DR1000S
I'm going to have to ask for a little bit of trust on the legitimacy part, since it's just getting started, and there's only one book at the moment, and it's mine. All great ideas have to start somewhere though, right?
Altruism Publishing
UtterInanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:40 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtterInanity View Post
I'm going to have to ask for a little bit of trust on the legitimacy part, since it's just getting started, and there's only one book at the moment, and it's mine. All great ideas have to start somewhere though, right?
Altruism Publishing
As long as we don't start seeing Harry Potter books on there...
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:07 AM   #14
Rockstone
Rockstone began at the beginning.

Agent then Publisher

reading about it the below is correct be careful

Last edited by Rockstone; 12-19-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Rockstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:24 AM   #15
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstone View Post
He said he went through so many rejections that he was about to give up but he found an agent. It still took a few years even with his agent but finally managed to get it published the link to thats is www.eloquentbooks.com
A tad of googling indicates that caution might be taken when considering the above publisher:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...d.php?t=101448
(threads merged, so can be a little confusing to read)

http://www.sfwa.org/beware/general.html#Literary

http://myfloridalegal.com/lit_ec.nsf...2573760050A9EA

The "Writer Beware" website may be a resource that will serve the OP well here:

http://www.sfwa.org/Beware/

though the authors at MR may also have more to say on the matter.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote