Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-09-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
radioflyertoo
Hog Rider
radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: HTC 7501
Early question for Friday Oct 10 2008

If you have a glass that holds exactly twenty Oz when full and now it contains exactly 10 Oz what do you think of it's state?

Your answer will determine if you are a pessimist, Optimist or true Optimist.

(Correct answer, assuming no one does, will be given sometime between friday and monday.)
radioflyertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:56 PM   #2
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
The glass is too big.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Hey! This is cheating, is not Friday yet... And here I have figured out the perfect Friday question

*sulkmode on*
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:09 PM   #4
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Depending on how many I've already had, I'd be wondering why I'm drinking from a glass with measurments on it
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #5
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Clearly, the damn thing may as well be empty. Either that or I'm full of it.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:56 PM   #6
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
As usual, a very good question, radioflyertoo (can I call you "Ray"? No? Okay). However, it's a trick question.

There iz only one Oz (two if you count fictional worlds) unless you count multiple trouser legs and universes. If you do count those, only one Oz can fit in any one glass, because one glass cannot transverse multiple universes - the glass can only be in one universe at any one time-space.

Unless it's not a glass, but a Klein bottle...man, those floogy things really frak-up the supersymmetry, and should probably be banned for underestimating alcoholic content on the label by only including perceived dimensions. That's why I sell my Zany Carter mix in them ("IN CASE OF EMERGENCE, DON'T BREAK GLASS - DRINK-UP AND BREAKDANCE INSTEAD").

In conclusion, as David Byrne once said, "fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa far better run run run run run run run away OH OH OH AY AY AYA AY UM"

Cheers,
Marc (I'm half-full, and should be full by the end of the next Klein bottle)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:42 AM   #7
Cookie Monster
Connoisseur
Cookie Monster doesn't litterCookie Monster doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-700
Was the original pint a pint of beer or a pint of beer including the head?

Is there a half pint of beer left with or without the head?
Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:53 AM   #8
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
How are we defining oz? Because 10 troy oz of gold would be a better glass to have than say a 10 oz glass of cheap beer that apparently has a hole in it. Because I never leave a glass half full so undoubtedly there is a leak or it is not my glass. Being that it is not my glass, I would order another full one and not let it out of my site until said glass is empty or appears to refill itself automatically. If the latter happens then I truly have a remarkable glass and I am truly optimistic or too many empty glasses into the evening.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:12 AM   #9
radioflyertoo
Hog Rider
radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: HTC 7501
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
As usual, a very good question, radioflyertoo (can I call you "Ray"? No? Okay). However, it's a trick question.

There iz only one Oz (two if you count fictional worlds) unless you count multiple trouser legs and universes. If you do count those, only one Oz can fit in any one glass, because one glass cannot transverse multiple universes - the glass can only be in one universe at any one time-space.

Unless it's not a glass, but a Klein bottle...man, those floogy things really frak-up the supersymmetry, and should probably be banned for underestimating alcoholic content on the label by only including perceived dimensions. That's why I sell my Zany Carter mix in them ("IN CASE OF EMERGENCE, DON'T BREAK GLASS - DRINK-UP AND BREAKDANCE INSTEAD").

In conclusion, as David Byrne once said, "fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa far better run run run run run run run away OH OH OH AY AY AYA AY UM"

[Cheers,
Marc (I'm half-full, and should be full by the end of the next Klein bottle)
Ah trouserlegs and universes is the supersymmetry of the exisitential existant of the nothingness created by a Klien bottle empting on the complete multiverse cause the ninja squirrels to rethink what Dave Byrne once said.

Now you must remember that the alcoholic content (hic) on the label is as you state a function of reversed osmosis causing a Zant Carter to regurgitate David byrne and break dance with rainbow of shadows that falls on one after the klien bottle has emptied.

Now as far as Oz is concerned I've been there and particularly enjoyed the Queen Victoria Market along with the absolutely goreous sites lining the Gold Coast beaches.

But since I was particularly investing the question in ounces and not Oz's as you so suculently stated we have an impass of the first dimensional order only to be resolved by defunking the bubbles of upside down time in the tranmorgrifried breakfast universe.

I the now reality let me restate my question in different terms:

Is the glass half full or half empty. So are you pessimistist, optimistic and truly optimistic.

(hic hic)
radioflyertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:54 AM   #10
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
The glass is a 20 ounce container with a current load of 10 ounces, minus the evaporation constant (a function of the vapor pressure in the room and at the surface tension, and the temperature) times the length of time the container has been in the stable room environment.

This is so much easier to express in metrics, btw.

Last edited by pshrynk; 10-10-2008 at 09:00 AM.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #11
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
The glass is a 20 ounce container with a current load of 10 ounces, minus the evaporation constant (a function of the vapor pressure in the room and at the surface tesion, and the temperature) times the length of time the container has been in the stable room environment.

This is so much easier to express in metrics, btw.
Agreed, I refrained from getting involved in this question since I have absolutley no idea how much an ounce is. If on the other hand you have a 2 liter glass, which currently conaints one liter of liquid (preferebly single malt whisky), i would probably be pretty drunk from drinking the missing liter, hence I wouldnt really care if it was half-empty or half-full.

See, metrics is so much easier....
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:15 AM   #12
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
That's two too many "runs". I only mention this because I admire all of your posts for their complete accuracy.

As for the question, the state of the glass depends on who is holding it, of course. If I held it last week, it's state would be "Georgia". Next week, "Illinois". This is a classic example of relativity.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:44 AM   #13
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
That's two too many "runs". I only mention this because I admire all of your posts for their complete accuracy.

As for the question, the state of the glass depends on who is holding it, of course. If I held it last week, it's state would be "Georgia". Next week, "Illinois". This is a classic example of relativity.
What about this week?

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:59 AM   #14
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Nice try. This week I'm not holding the glass.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #15
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioflyertoo View Post
Now you must remember that the alcoholic content ...
Ahh, a paradox. Well done, sir. Like they say, if you can remember the alcoholic content, you weren't there.

Quote:
Now as far as Oz is concerned I've been there and particularly enjoyed the Queen Victoria Market along with the absolutely goreous sites lining the Gold Coast beaches.
They're nice, I suppose. They're not the Sunshine Coast or Noosa, but I guess they're okay. Noosa is paradise, but, though I seem to gloat, please remember that, I've been to paradise but I've never been to me.

(There, get that song out of your head now, ya bastiches!)

Quote:
But since I was particularly investing the question in ounces and not Oz's ...
Isn't an ounce the weight of some lacey-frill-wearing, inbred monarch's first baby stool of digested scones and tea? Oh, right, you're talking fluid ounces though. So would that be about a thimble full of tears some silk-knickered poncy princling cries when he pricks his pinky while sewing his first "We hate the colonies" handkerchief?

Quote:
Is the glass half full or half empty. So are you pessimistist, optimistic and truly optimistic.

(hic hic)
It couldn't be my glass - I prefer to drink from a bucket (and by "drink" I mean "stick my entire head in and inhale").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Accuracy? Whose posts have you been reading? Now I feel like you've been cheating on me.

(The extra "run"s are my sneaky superliminal suggestion, as part of my contribution to the fight against western obesity. Is this answer convincing?)

Quote:
This is a classic example of relativity.
Like royal weddings - it's all relatives.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
unutterable silliness