Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-04-2008, 10:39 PM   #46
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbax View Post
Amazon should make Kindle 2 have following:

1. A touch-screen for annotations like iRex Iliad and that works with the finger like the Sony PRS-700.
I don't think the hardware exists yet. The PRS-700 apparently uses a stress-detection screen that doesn't have the fine granularity needed for note taking. The iRex uses Wacom (inductive detection) that doesn't respond to finger touches or anything else other than a special stylus that generates the inductive signal (and is proprietary to Wacom and very expensive). The resistive screens used on devices like the eBookwise respond to finger touches and can take relatively fine-grained notes, but reduce the clarity of the screen to 85%, which won't work for a reflective e ink screen.

The only touch-sensitive technology that I think might work is the capacitive screen used on the iPhone and iPod Touch, which has the necessary clarity for a front-lit/reflective screen, but others have suggested that it might not be fine-grained enough for notes, either, and it would also require a specialized stylus, if a stylus could be made to work at all. (Wikipedia suggests a conductive stylus would work, but other MR folks have said it wouldn't and doesn't.)

So I think we're waiting for a "perfect" low-cost high-transparency fine-granularity touch-screen technology.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:08 PM   #47
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
If that's the Kindle 2, then I'm totally unimpressed with it. I will keep (and continue to love) my Kindle mark 1.

Why would I want something that is (1) bigger, (2) has less memory, and (3) doesn't allow me to change the battery?

Nope .... whoever engineered this thing must have worked on New Coke at some point. That was a product I tried once, and only once, and then boycotted Coke products until they stopped trying to screw with success.

So, I'll wait until they see the error of their ways and make a product that actually improves on the original.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:26 AM   #48
Fog Dog
Fog Dog began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
IMHO, there is no way this is real. Somebody is having a good laugh at our expense.

Since design is the only major criticism among Kindle fans, I just don't see Amazon releasing a new Kindle that does not make significant design improvements. Since these photos obviously don't show any actual design improvement, I feel that we've been trolled by somebody.
Fog Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:41 AM   #49
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
...The current kindle may look clunky but the more I use it, the more I appreciate its design and function. ...
Hi Boston, that's exactly how I feel about my Kindle now that I've had it for almost 2 weeks! The more I use it, the better I like it--I really don't know anything that I'd change about it.

What I'm hoping for from Kindle 2.0 is that--when it comes out--there will still be a Kindle 1.0 AND its price will drop enough so that I can buy one for everyone else in my family!

(kinda like what's going to happen with the 505 now that the 700 is out?)

Regards,
R.L.

Last edited by rlparker; 10-05-2008 at 11:57 AM.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #50
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
My guess is those photos were "leaked" by Sony because if that's really the new Kindle then Amazon is in a world of hurt.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:10 PM   #51
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
The more I look at these photos the more I'm sure they are fake. The current Kindle, while ugly, still has what I'd call an 'ugly' elegance. This device is just plain ugly.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:20 PM   #52
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
So far I'm not impressed.

Not having a user replaceable battery is a step back, in my opinion.

Requiring that one charge it from a usb connector is a step back (in my opinion anyway) because 1) I don't think it will charge as fast and 2) when I'm traveling it's much easier to find a plug-in than a computer.

Eliminating the SD card is a step back, in my opinion, because SD cards are one way to organize content, and make it easy to transfer and save ebooks and other documents. If this is some indication that Amazon wants to make it more difficult to read ebooks from other sources on the Kindle then I thoroughly disapprove.

Personally I think it looks a little sleeker than the present Kindle, but let's face it--I don't think *anyone* bought the Kindle for its looks.

I'm inclined to agree that this is probably an early prototype that Amazon rejected. At least I certainly hope so.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:41 PM   #53
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
To all people saying it's fake or a prototype... remember FCC leak of the original Kindle? No one could believe Amazon would release it as is. A few months later the device was released virtually unchanged.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:43 PM   #54
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
To all people saying it's fake or a prototype... remember FCC leak of the original Kindle? No one could believe Amazon would release it as is. A few months later the device was released virtually unchanged.
NO, I don't remember that.

The current Kindle looks great. It is well designed. There is no wasted space along the sides. The keys on the keyboard are well positioned. But, as you say anythings possible.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:28 PM   #55
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Here's some links from before release
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4121
http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/11/a...e-book-reader/
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=11
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:27 AM   #56
nesagwa
Connoisseur
nesagwa began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook360
That thing looks like someone was having fun with a CNC machine. The lack of curves and bevels make it seem like it was cut from flat metal (like you see many homebrew hardware projects cased in) rather than an injection molded case.

If on the other hand it is real, Sony is winning.
nesagwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:37 AM   #57
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Ugh, ghastly! It looks damn uncomfortable to hold, too. The PRS-700 blows this away in terms of style and form factor. My wife was actually considering the old Kindle, considering the convenience of the store, but now that she's seen this one, she's going to wait and take my Sony PRS-505 when I upgrade the 700. IF this is the new Kindle, Amazon just lost a sale.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:49 AM   #58
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
I have to agree...I really like my current Kindle, but if that's the new one, I will have to pass on it.

It's bigger? And heavier? But the screen is the same. hmmmm what's wrong with this picture...
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:06 AM   #59
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Ugh, ghastly! It looks damn uncomfortable to hold, too. The PRS-700 blows this away in terms of style and form factor. My wife was actually considering the old Kindle, considering the convenience of the store, but now that she's seen this one, she's going to wait and take my Sony PRS-505 when I upgrade the 700. IF this is the new Kindle, Amazon just lost a sale.
If your wife is considering the current Kindle for the convenience of the store, what does it matter what Kindle 2.0 looks like? Kindle 1.0 will still have the same convenience (and maybe a software upgrade).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:46 AM   #60
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Someone is just having a little fun, there is no way that this is real, or maybe it is a picture of a Kindle 1.0 prototype.

No SD card (I have a ton of books on my SD card)
No replaceable battery
No charger and must be connected to a PC to charge
Same screen size but bigger form factor
Leather case is replaced with a bag
Ugly X Ugly [ugly squared]

Once again, there is no way this is real.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote