Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
makani
Enthusiast
makani began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-505
nook & overdrive

I am on the fence about the nook and was wondering if anyone has sucessfully used the public library download site called overdrive to put books on their nook to read.
Thanks for your help,
Phil
makani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Yes, the nook will work with Overdrive library books. You can side load them using Adobe Digital Editions.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
The nook can load ePub and PDF files, but not MobiPocket ebooks. Overdrive carries all 3 formats, and your library (or library consortium) chooses which ones to offer.

At my library, the older books they got when they first signed up with Overdrive are PDF and/or Mobipocket.

Almost all the most recent offerings are ePub and/or PDF.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:18 AM   #4
Bekster
Bekster began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Thumbs up

The nook does work with Overdrive... They do expire when it says they will (I believe it's 3 weeks), so you can't necessarily download for reading when you want to.
Other than that, they work great!
Bekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Yup, works great. As AO stated, you need to use Adobe Digital Editions.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: B&N Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekster View Post
The nook does work with Overdrive... They do expire when it says they will (I believe it's 3 weeks), so you can't necessarily download for reading when you want to.
Other than that, they work great!
The loan period for library books is based on your individual library's policy. From what I've seen, libraries allow books to be borrowed for up to 21 days. However, I do know at least one library will books may be borrowed for only up to 14 days. Either way, when you go to check out a library book, there is a drop down list so that you can determine how long you want to borrow the book, either 7, 14, or 21 days (if allowed).

I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to download when you want to, but if a book is available in your library, you can borrow it immediately. However, many popular books may already be checked out, in which case you can add yourself to the waiting list and you will be notified by email when the book is available for checkout.

I personally think borrowing library books is the best feature of the nook (or any ereader that can read epub)! My library recently converted to epub and now has 3,000+ books, including new releases. I haven't had to buy a book in 2 months!
bookwerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:02 AM   #7
icedragon
icedragon began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I like the idea of being able to check books out from the library--although my library doesn't have a lot of books that I would want to read right now. There was one that I checked out when I first got the nook, but I was having problems with adobe digital reader recognizing my nook, and I had "returned" the book before we got the problem figured out, and you can only check a book out once, apparently, according to what we read on the library page.
icedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #8
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: B&N Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by icedragon View Post
and you can only check a book out once, apparently, according to what we read on the library page.
You may want to check if this is a limitation of your specific library. I've been able to check out the same book twice - I started the book, and didn't finish it in the 3 week timespan, so checked it out again. Caveat - you can only do this if there's no one on the waiting list. If there is someone on the waiting list, you can just add yourself to list and check it out when the title's available.
bookwerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
Note that for library e-books, you have to install them onto the NOOK using Adobe Digital Editions. Same for removing them.

With bought e-books you can just drag'n'drop them with any old tool.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #10
robslp
Enthusiast
robslp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 & 3, Nook, Android Razr, Fire, Transformer Prime.
I also have enjoyed downloading PDF and ePub formatted books from my library using Overdrive and then Adobe Digital Editions. Hopefully my library will get more books, but it is a great feature. I find that I use my Nook way more than my Kindle I due to this feature. I also like that you can return the books early when you are done reading them. Have fun reading!
robslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:12 AM   #11
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Our Overdrive/Library site has no Mobi-format eBooks, only Adobe EPUB and PDF. eBooks and audiobooks can be checked out for 7, 14, or 21 days. They usually download quickly into ADE, and easily side load to my nook.

Last edited by Poppa1956; 06-19-2010 at 01:13 AM. Reason: I type at least as well and OCR.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:21 PM   #12
andrea t
andrea t began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yes and its so easy to do! My library allows a 14 day borrow period. I've noticed my library is adding more and more e books too. This is a GREAT feature!
andrea t is offline   Reply With Quote