Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-31-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
How Will You Test Your New iPad?

My primary reason for ordering the iPad is for reading pdf documents, mostly technical. The following file dispays perfectly on most computers:

http://www.spectrumsignal.com/public...orm_primer.pdf

Yet, the latest Sony readers render it improperly. It may be too much to hope, but I'm crossing my fingers on this one. There are many more tech documents in my library, but unfortunately they are copyrighted by the organizations which first published them. Thus, I cannot provide you with links to them, but will be listing them by title and author, if they pose a problem to the iPad. Please feel free to add yours to the thread.

Second, there are a number of ebooks that seem to confound the current generation readers. One is this book by Random House:

http://www.randomhouse.com/vintage/b...=9780307280480

The print version is double columned, but was reflowed to single column format in the epub file. It displays fine in this format on ADE and Calibre. (A bit of subterfuge is involved in getting it to load in Calibre, but I presume that most of the experts on the forum understand the concept of getting a book prepped to "cross-load"). The title looks "skinnified" on all of my current readers. I've figured out why this is technically happening, but have not pursued any CSS editing of the book. Why should I have to fix the file, dammit.

Here's looking forward to a bumpy ride. (Pessimistic Abe).
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
I have the same requirements as you for technical documents and I hope the iPad is a good choice, at least better than what is available now. There are those who say that the 9.7" screen is still not good enough for technical PDFs. I have about 100 PDFs that I would like to try. I will be posting results of my testing.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 11:54 PM   #3
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
How Will You Test Your New iPad?
My biggest concern is stability. I plan to take my freshly purchased iPad to the upper tier of the mall, directly above the Apple Store and dropping the iPad to the floor in front of the store. I am hoping for the best.

At least it will be a quick visit for repairs.

Then I will check how well it handles ePub's I stripped of DRM.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
valkyriesound
Connoisseur
valkyriesound doesn't littervalkyriesound doesn't litter

Can someone please test a comic app and cbz for me? I want to know details before getting one... Thanks!
valkyriesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I will load Stanza and my existing books. I'd be pleasantly surprised if it worked well.

I'll load some of my epub books into the iBook app.

I'll play some iPhone games.

I'll read a book for a couple hours.

I'll load photos.

I'll try out some of the free ipad apps.

I'll type a few emails and forum posts.

The only thing that I consider to be a test is the "reading for a long time".

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #6
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
I'm heading straight to the app store for Instapaper.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:26 AM   #7
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
I'm heading straight to the app store for Instapaper.
I would imagine, but could be wrong, that the iPhone/Touch app should work ok.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #8
killdanzig
killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony PRS-600
i will be testing it by turning it on and then trying to do something with it.

i am the gadget geek in the family, but i have only played around with an old u2 ipod for a total of 3-4 minutes, and have only goofed with my wife's ipod touch for about 2 minutes...long enough to find out that jailbreaking it was a pain due to the tethering issue since it is so new.

i have no idea what i am getting myself into with this thing.

everyone at my work constantly asks me questions about their ipods and all i can do is look at them blankly.

just because i can mod my game systems with no problem doesnt mean that i know how to work an ipod or know how to text on my phone.

for as progressive as i am with my computer and game systems, i am still in the stone age with ipods and phones...
killdanzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #9
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I would imagine, but could be wrong, that the iPhone/Touch app should work ok.
I own Instapaper Pro, and the iPad version will be free for me as a result. In fact, the two versions are apparently in one package. But the iPad version will be rendered better. http://blog.instapaper.com/
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:35 AM   #10
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Thumbs down Houston, we may have a problem

While we're figuring out how to get king sized pdfs into the iPad internal drive, I started emailing pdfs to myself on the ipad. You can get a test document at

http://www.higgs-boson.org/files/mass.pdf

In section 1.6, Einstein Field Equations, there is a sentence:

"Hiding the cosmological constant Λ, ..."

The greek letter lambda (Λ) does not appear when viewing the file from either Safari or the built-in app that reads pdf attachments in email. Shame, shame Apple. You really did HIDE the cosmological constant, didn't you? There are other missing math symbols, which you physicists will note. How am I supposed to turn my child into an Einstein, if the Apple so-called "Einsteins" can't even render Greek letters properly?
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:09 AM   #11
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
I own Instapaper Pro, and the iPad version will be free for me as a result. In fact, the two versions are apparently in one package. But the iPad version will be rendered better. http://blog.instapaper.com/
Correct you are.

Tags
calibre, epub conversion, ipad