Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-03-2009, 04:55 AM   #1
Arcticnick
ArcticNick
Arcticnick began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505/SC
PRS 505 Brick! No flashing techniques work. Desperate! Please help.

Hi there,
I would be immensely grateful if someone out there can help me, please.

My PSR- 505 has just crashed.

I had a crash, issue before but solved it with the very useful information here, and by using the flashing software.
Unfortunately it does not work this time.

The cause of the problem seemed to be...
I was charging the PRS via the USB cable but had to reboot my PC. Windows would not load so I unplugged the 505 without un-docking it. I did this several times as I had to reboot the computer several times (owch!)

Then I seemed to lose all the library on the device.
After that I did numerous things including trying the reset button on the back, trying to reset the device by pressing 5 on the number pad to reset to factory defaults, but it just did nothing.

Now I have removed all the PRS files in Windows and tried to replace them, on a thumb drive, with the flash files. Still nothing. I am not sure if I should have removed the files or not.

When I start the Sony it goes into constant reboot mode and will not turn off. This drains the battery in a few hours.
As I have said...nothing seems to work.
I read or read (past tense?) over two hours a day and can't imagine a normal life without by Sony PRS- 505.

If anyone can help to solve my problem then I would be eternally grateful.
Arcticnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:15 AM   #2
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Have you tried a hard reset?

1. Press the Reset button
2. While holding down the + Volume button and the Bookmark button, turn on the reader.
3. Continue holding down the + Volume and the bookmark buttons.
4. When asked if you want to reformat the device, choose the Yes option (I believe it's the 5 button).
5. The Reader will turn itself off when it's done.

When you next connect the device to the computer, you'll have to re-authorize it at the Sony store. You should be prompted to do so.

Good luck.

Last edited by doreenjoy; 09-03-2009 at 05:18 AM.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 06:30 AM   #3
Arcticnick
ArcticNick

Yes. As I said...I have done all that but sadly it just looks at me, with a blank stare.
There is no response after I press #5.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:31 AM   #4
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Hmm, does it still go into disk mode when you connect it to windows via USB?
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:03 AM   #5
Arcticnick
ArcticNick

What is disk mode, please?
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 07:29 AM   #6
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Connect it to your PC with a USB cable, the reader should show the "connected" screen, and it will appear as multiple removable disks on your PC. I'm thinking if you can get it to disk mode you could try flashing it again.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:30 AM   #7
Arcticnick
ArcticNick

Good idea but I have tried adding the flashing files to the Sony in Windows in Explorer, when connected. It continually says 'Loading' and the activity arrows just go round forever. (I can see a ghost of the reader library catagories faintly on the screen.) I think it will continue 'loading' until the batteries run down.
Is this what you meant?

My Sony does not appear as multiple removable disks on my PC, though.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #8
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover

I'm a little confused, so how did you add the flashing files to the sony if it doesn't appear as a disk?
Old 09-03-2009, 08:54 AM   #9
Arcticnick
ArcticNick

I used a memory card from my Canon Ixus which I then slot into the Sony when it starts up.
Thanks for your help.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:59 AM   #10
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover

I'm pretty much out of ideas, sounds like a brick to me. For reference for more advanced users here, have you tried the Sony official firmware upgrade and/or the universal flasher?
Old 09-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #11
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I would try a long mains recharge; then a hard reset, perhaps while connected to the mains.
(A PSP charger works as well as the official Sony one.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote