Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 09:17 AM   #46
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Illegal, fine. I don't mind being a criminal in respect to the DMCA by removing DRM from the books I buy. But what the heck is highly illegal?
a sick bird on top of a mountain
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:19 AM   #47
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
IThe app has a long way to go to get to Stanza or eReader standards.
Indeed. While it works, it's not worth all that much to me in the present state -- just too basic. Seems like they rushed this out. Hopefully refinements will come quickly.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 09:20 AM   #48
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

Very good!
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:26 AM   #49
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Illegal, fine. I don't mind being a criminal in respect to the DMCA by removing DRM from the books I buy. But what the heck is highly illegal?
It means the plaintiff retains "highly" paid lawyers.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:27 AM   #50
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
So what are the odds of Sony following suit? I have an iPod Touch and a Sony PRS-505. I may be dumping the prs-505 in the very near future.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #51
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
Well, my wife who reads more of the current best seller stuff than I, has been quite jealous of the Amazon prices, so this could be quite the boon for her. I had tried to give her my Sony when I was getting rid of it, but she didn't want it, and doesn't particularly want to carry an additional device.

She may need to wait until more features are implemented, though. She reads on her iPhone (with eReader) for hours at a time, but she prefers reading in landscape. If the Kindle app won't even rotate, that may give her fits... at least until the next time she wants a book, but doesn't want to pay $25 for the ebook.

Did I read right, that you have to swipe, you can't turn the page with a tap? I may not last long on it myself. If I remember correctly, that really frustrated my wife, too, until I showed her how to change the settings in eReader. I'll download it today myself and see just how basic it is.

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #52
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

YYAAAWWWWWNNNNN!!!!!

Someone please wake me when there's a Kindle app for ANY cellphone, PDA or PC/laptop. Nothing against the iPhone, but there are 2 or 3 other devices out there, and no reason to expect everyone who wants to read to replace their cellphones for this. (I won't.)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:36 AM   #53
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
YYAAAWWWWWNNNNN!!!!!

Someone please wake me when there's a Kindle app for ANY cellphone, PDA or PC/laptop. Nothing against the iPhone, but there are 2 or 3 other devices out there, and no reason to expect everyone who wants to read to replace their cellphones for this. (I won't.)
I think this is a solid first step. I expect a Windows Mobile app in the near future.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #54
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
This tells me two things: 1. Amazon is out to sell books, not devices; and 2. Apple is, for the present time at least, not going to release an e-reader.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #55
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
Ars Technica posted an article at the beginning of February with John Siracusa's prediction that Kindle would lose out to the iPhone in the same way that Rocketbook lost out to the Palm.
Perhaps but I would hope not. I have both the Kindle and iPod touch (identical for this purpose). Reading on the touch is a total pain in the butt compared to the Kindle. It makes my eyes hurt after awhile and toasts the battery in less than 1/20 the time it does on the Kindle.

This might happen since many more folks have the iPhone/Touch than the Kindle and it MIGHT prevent them from getting the Kindle.
OTOH, if they buy Kindle books for the iPhone and find them a pain to read on that ittsy, tiny, glaring screen, maybe they will go buy a Kindle. Who knows?

What this DOES say, is that rumors that Apple may be planning to get into the e-book market are now much less likely to be true. If that were the case, Apple would not have approved the app., it seems to me.

I DO still expect Apple to release (as has been rumored) a larger version of the touch. This would be good for all content, especially video, and would also be somewhat better for books.

Quote:
So what are the odds of Sony following suit?
You mean an app to buy from the Sony e-book store?? Why would anyone want to do that? Pay more and poorer selection?! I think not.

Last edited by CCDMan; 03-04-2009 at 10:48 AM.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:53 AM   #56
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Or a small bird on drugs?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #57
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can books be transferred to the itouch using the usb cable or can it only be done wirelessly?

From reading the posts I speculate that everything is done wirelessly over the itouch. Doesn't seem like you can purchase books over the pc and transferring it to the ipod touch. Is that correct?

Last edited by MerLock; 03-04-2009 at 10:57 AM.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #58
volwrath
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post

You mean an app to buy from the Sony e-book store?? Why would anyone want to do that? Pay more and poorer selection?! I think not.
Because they already have a sony reader? Although I think Amazon is more on top of things so I agree with you
Old 03-04-2009, 10:59 AM   #59
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
Can books be transferred to the ipod touch using the usb cable or can it only be done wirelessly?
Wirelessly. I just set it up on my iPod touch. You start the app and it will give you a registration screen where you input your Amazon user name and password. All the books you have purchased then show up on a list in the app and can be selected and downloaded to the phone.

When you now go to a Kindle book purchase page (on a PC or browser on the phone) one of the options to send it to when you buy is your phone or touch.

Last edited by CCDMan; 03-04-2009 at 11:48 AM.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:02 AM   #60
carchase
Enthusiast
carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
I'm wondering if there are some iPhone emulators around.
A tiny bit of search gives only NES / MAME emulators for iPhone ...
Not sure if this is what you're asking, but there's an iphone simulator built into the Iphone SDK. The sdk is free once you register. You'll need a mac of course.
carchase is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone/ipod touch, kindle