Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-16-2013, 03:19 AM   #1
mr10463
mr10463 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Index containing page no. with links - <pagelist> problem

Hi,

a service provider converted a printed book (indesign/pdf master) into epub (epub2). As usual in real professional books you have an index at the end, containing page numbers.

During conversion all page no. were asigned a link to the corresponding chapter/html file including its anchor (e.g. 'sealing: 12, 33, 47, etc').

Unfortunately my ebook handler (libreka in Germany) refuses to publish it to the the apple book store with the reason: "please fix linked page numbers in the index with <pagelist> (toc.ncx)".

Kiling the index completely does not help at all because then I get around 1300 linking errors (all links in chapters refer to the index as well) ... So I am a bit in a struggle what to do

Can anybody give me advice how to fix my problem? As far as I googled <pagelist> is not the answer to my problems ... And please keep in mind: I am dealing with approx. 1,300 links at all. Manual editing would take a huge amount of time.

Thanks in advance. Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

btw.: pagina-EPUB-Checker_Win-1.1.0 does not find any errors at all!
mr10463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
ePub 3 has support for page lists. See http://www.idpf.org/accessibility/gu...v/pagelist.php

and http://www.idpf.org/accessibility/gu...ml/pagenum.php

Apple does have quite a bit of epub 3 support for iBooks. I have no idea if this will fully solve your problem but it may give you some ideas.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:08 AM   #3
hesham
hesham began at the beginning.

Device: none
It is strange though that the links in the chapters refer to the Index ! ... It should be the inverse. The links in the Index should be redirecting the reader to the corresponding page in the book.

Unless the links take the reader to a specific location(named destination) in the page and not just to a specific page number. In that case the corresponding named destination in each page must be removed from the page to prevent these errors.
hesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
mr10463

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesham View Post
In that case the corresponding named destination in each page must be removed from the page to prevent these errors.
Exactly. BUT: Is there any way to not do manually? As I mentioned: more than 1,300 links at all ...

Cheers
Old 05-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
mzmm
Groupie
mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: iPad, Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr10463 View Post
Exactly. BUT: Is there any way to not do manually? As I mentioned: more than 1,300 links at all ...

Cheers
kind of a shame to wipe out the entire index, but if you removed all the links in the index, then you could just do a global search/replace for all the anchors in the html pages to remove them too.
mzmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:

Cheers
Give an example of some Index code and the code for the anchors in the paragraphs. Perhaps someone can help you come up with a Regex to handle the situations.

Also, for more information on the PageList and/or page-map, I found this link on the Wiki:

http://blog.threepress.org/2009/11/2...-ncx-pagelist/
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:29 AM   #7
mr10463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Give an example of some Index code and the code for the anchors in the paragraphs. Perhaps someone can help you come up with a Regex to handle the situations.
Well, here is some exemplary code...

This is the code in the chapter file:
<a href="../Text/anhang3.html#ir_9_220" id="in_9_220">ANY_TEXT</a>

This is the code in the index file:
<a href="../Text/chapter03.html#in_9_220" id="ir_9_220">220</a>

220 corresponds to the real page number. Why they made a link to the index file: I don't know!

It looks that way, that all links in the chapter files have a similar ID construct, starting with id="in_*_*".

Maybe anyone can help ...

Thanks in advance. Cheers.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #8
mzmm
Groupie
mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: iPad, Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
220 corresponds to the real page number. Why they made a link to the index file: I don't know!
for ease of navigation? in case they accidentally click on a footnote? i almost always make links back/forth so the reader can get back to wherever they were for whatever reason.

Quote:
Well, here is some exemplary code...

This is the code in the chapter file:
<a href="../Text/anhang3.html#ir_9_220" id="in_9_220">ANY_TEXT</a>

This is the code in the index file:
<a href="../Text/chapter03.html#in_9_220" id="ir_9_220">220</a>

It looks that way, that all links in the chapter files have a similar ID construct, starting with id="in_*_*".

Maybe anyone can help ...
if there's absolutely no other option than to remove what seems like a probably useful addition to your ebook, you could use this (definitely test it before doing a globaly find/replace):

Code:
find:<a[^#]+#ir[^>]+>(.*?)</a>

repl:\1
this is going to kill all your links, and again, i kind of can't believe there's no other solution you could use to keep the index in there.

regardless, it's probably a good idea to backup your file in case you decide to switch distribution in the future.
mzmm is offline   Reply With Quote