Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
discourse
Connoisseur
discourse has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight, iPad 1
Maximum size SD card

What is the maximum size SD card that the Cybook Gen3 accepts? I have tried using my 16GB card and the Cybook just freezes up.
discourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by discourse View Post
What is the maximum size SD card that the Cybook Gen3 accepts? I have tried using my 16GB card and the Cybook just freezes up.
On the Cybooks with 64MB of RAM the largest size of SD card is 2GB. I *believe*, but have no way to test this belief, that the Cybooks with 512MB of RAM *may* support 4GB SD cards.

And to the best of my knowledge, the Cybook won't support SDHC cards at all at this point.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by discourse View Post
2G - It does not support SDHC.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:46 PM   #4
discourse
Connoisseur

Thanks! The smallest I have is 4GB. Time to go shopping.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:54 PM   #5
stxopher
Nameless Being

Actually, it's kind of nice to have several really small capacity SD cards. You can devote a card to an entire series of books without keeping all of them on one card. Easy to shuffle them around.

Plus if you keep all of them in a case you can feel all Star Treky by searching through your "portable library" and loading them up as you read them. (I usually do this while talking to myself in a Kirk monologue voiceover: "Quick...I need to find....something...about dragons and.....muskets. There must....BE....something.... for that....in here." For extra nerdiness most of my cards have labels with ship name/numbers and the old logo from the United Federation of Planets that a friend printed up for me. He had extra since he originally printed them up for himself and the maintainance technical manuals he was storing on SD.)
Old 07-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Yes, 2GB is the maximum. SDHC are not supported.

I hope we will see lager cards supported in future devices, but the User Interface needs to improve drastically for lots of files.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
discourse
Connoisseur

that sounds like a cool idea stxopher! I will try to adopt your card label idea for my own use can you post some pics of your labelled cards?
Old 07-03-2008, 09:28 AM   #8
stxopher
Nameless Being

Can't really post pics. I'm one of the few left in the world who never got a cell phone or needed a camera. (And yet I have electricity and running water. How odd.)

I can post the file used and a quick shot of it. The pic will probably have to be scaled down to look right since it's supposed to be 1 x .75. The ZIP file is from the program GIMP (freeware draw program). That gets used by my friends an me a lot due to it's price. If you decide to try something like that, just load the file up and mod, mod, mod to your hearts content.

I use self-stick labels to print them out on and then cut them out. Not elegant but it works.

(Oh, warning. Do NOT label them with anything even remotely looking like a government agency. TSA gets all wacky about that while doing searches.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NCC-2117-export.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	14041  
Attached Files
File Type: zip NCC-2117-export.zip (15.3 KB, 358 views)
Old 07-04-2008, 02:36 AM   #9
discourse
Connoisseur

Thanks I went out and bought 4 Sandisk 2GB cards. My local electronic store had them cheaper than ebay or amazon. Currently hand cutting some custom stickers
Old 08-20-2008, 09:26 AM   #10
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher View Post
... For extra nerdiness most of my cards have labels with ship name/numbers and the old logo from the United Federation of Planets that a friend printed up for me. He had extra since he originally printed them up for himself and the maintainance technical manuals he was storing on SD.)
I've often wanted to label my SD cards (I have about 6 of them I carry around on my keychain) but I read somewhere (on the oh so reliable internet) that it was a BAD idea to stick labels on SD cards. I believe the argument had something to do with SD slots being a tight fit and aftermarket stickers peeling easily and getting jammed in the slot.

So, have you had any problems like that? Do you put the labels on top of the label that comes on the card? Or do you remove the original sticker and replace with your own to keep the profile low? If so, how do you remove the original stickers?

Thanks for sharing your experience.
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote