Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Amazon Drops $2 International Delivery Fee?

It's being reported that the $2 international delivery fee that used to get added to kindle store ebook prices for most international customers has now been dropped.

Checking a reasonably large ebook and a free ebook at Amazon.com, and changing regions reveals some interesting changes.

There are now three kinds of charging region. One that doesn't have the extra delivery charge at all. One that only has the delivery charge on non-free ebooks, and one that has the delivery charge on all ebooks.

Regions without any delivery charge:

United States
United Kingdom
Australia
Canada
Europe

Regions with $2 on non-free, but free books are $0:
Asia and Pacific
India

Regions with $2 delivery charge on all ebooks:
Africa
Latin Am. & Caribbean
Middle East

[EDIT: USA never had the charge, the UK, Australia and Canada had the charge removed earlier. I think the recent change is probably the no charges for all of Europe, and the no charges on free ebooks in Asia & Pacific and India.]

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-08-2011 at 10:37 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There have been no delivery charges in the UK since early last year.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
Pernicious
Pernicious doesn't litterPernicious doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
I've had a Kindle in Ireland since October and I never got charged for delivery.
Pernicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I've never been charged a $2 delivery fee here in Peru, but that may be because I have a legitimate U.S.A. address.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I've never been charged a $2 delivery fee here in Peru, but that may be because I have a legitimate U.S.A. address.
You won't have a charge added on to the cost of the book, but you will be charged if you download any books to your Kindle via whispernet.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Hmmm... We've been discussing Amazon prices in the Nook section, and for a specific Kindle edition book discussed there I (in Sweden) see a price of $13.78 while apparently others see $9.99. I checked about a minute ago, and it's still the same for me. Somewhere along the line almost $4 gets added to the price for me...
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Hmmm... We've been discussing Amazon prices in the Nook section, and for a specific Kindle edition book discussed there I (in Sweden) see a price of $13.78 while apparently others see $9.99. I checked about a minute ago, and it's still the same for me. Somewhere along the line almost $4 gets added to the price for me...
In Sweden you'll get VAT at 25% added (which would make a $9.99 ebook in the US into a $12.49 ebook in Sweden). It's also possible that the publisher has set a different retail price for the european market.

Which book? I could check the UK price for you.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
Alissa
Connoisseur
Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 + Story HD + Kobo Touch
Asia & Pacific

I'm living in Japan (a part of Asia & Pacific) and using Kindle since last Nov. I've been enjoying a lot of $0.00 books from the beginning, so "free books are $0" change should be before Nov. 2010. I believe I usually pay $2.00 delivery fee for non-free books.

I sometimes (not very often) see non-free books with prices below $1.99, however. An example is a book by famous Amanda Hocking (My Blood Approves, in particular) I bought recently, and it was $0.99 for me. Her other books all appear as $2.99, though.

I guess Amazon sometimes waivers delivery fees of some selected books for some reason.
Alissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #9
simonroyle
Addict
simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alissa View Post
I'm living in Japan (a part of Asia & Pacific) and using Kindle since last Nov. I've been enjoying a lot of $0.00 books from the beginning, so "free books are $0" change should be before Nov. 2010. I believe I usually pay $2.00 delivery fee for non-free books.

I sometimes (not very often) see non-free books with prices below $1.99, however. An example is a book by famous Amanda Hocking (My Blood Approves, in particular) I bought recently, and it was $0.99 for me. Her other books all appear as $2.99, though.

I guess Amazon sometimes waivers delivery fees of some selected books for some reason.
I'm in Thailand, and I cross checked my book's price with a friend in Slovakia. Previously USD4.99, now USD2.99. Don't think my book has been specially selected by Amazon for that kind of treatment. I'm seeing quite a few books that are not "free", at the .99 cents price.

Who knows... maybe a glitch, or maybe it is a market move by Amazon to spur more volume.
simonroyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #10
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I
Which book? I could check the UK price for you.
Thank you for offering, but it was just part of a discussion. I don't have a Kindle, so I don't buy eBooks from Amazon.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:32 AM   #11
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
When this rolled into Canada a year ago, it took 2 or 3 months to be reflected in all titles. Books by the same author and publisher, which were all $9.99 in the US, were variably $11.99 or $9.99 during the transition. The latest releases reflected the lower prices; gradually the older titles dropped and matched.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
You won't have a charge added on to the cost of the book, but you will be charged if you download any books to your Kindle via whispernet.

In checking my statements, I see that I haven't been charged this extra charge.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #13
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
do you mean 3G? What if you use wifi?
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #14
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Still $2.30 to my address in Latvia, which is EU
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
do you mean 3G? What if you use wifi?
There's no charge for downloading over wifi.