Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
mururoa
mururoa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Full Screen ?

Hello,
I cant manage to have a real full screen on the Glo.
There's always a line in the bottom with the page number. Well not real line but more a dark ribbon with the page number taking at least 2 or 3 lines.
It should be possible as I can see that on several pictures of the Glo.
But how ?

Last edited by mururoa; 10-28-2012 at 03:18 PM.
mururoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I checked my Glo and I could not find anywhere a mean of removing that space and let it be used by a text line sorry. That line is there to give the number of the page you have reached.
But if there is a way, I'd like to hear it

Oh and welcome to the Forums Mururoa
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mururoa View Post
Hello,
I cant manage to have a real full screen on the Glo.
There's always a line in the bottom with the page number. Well not real line but more a dark ribbon with the page number taking at least 2 or 3 lines.
It should be possible as I can see that on several pictures of the Glo.
But how ?
I don't have a Glo yet, but from elsewhere in the forum:

Settings
Light,sleep&power
Light indicator appears :
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:03 AM   #4
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
I don't know a means to help you with this, but I'm amazed by the number of people that are expressing that kind of concern. I have had a lots of paper books and always saw page number and most of the time the title (or the chapter title) in head and foot pages. As you can expect, ereader behave the same way... I hope you'll find a way to make your device display exactly the way you want it

Last edited by vice-versa; 10-29-2012 at 03:05 AM.
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:39 AM   #5
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vice-versa View Post
... I have had a lots of paper books and always saw page number and most of the time the title (or the chapter title) in head and foot pages. As you can expect, ereader behave the same way...
Well, I do expect page numbers in a paper book, but I don't expect an ereader to behave the same way. Because it's not a book, it's an ereader

Personally I like to see page numbers, but as mururoa I don't like the waste of space because of the really big bar. I would very much like to have an optional fullscreen mode on the Glo.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
I read somewhere else in the forum that the purpose of the black band is to eliminate an overly bright area from the light. After all, the band is directly in front of where the light is and only appears when you turn the light on. Therefore, it has a purpose!
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
mururoa
mururoa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46jimbo View Post
I read somewhere else in the forum that the purpose of the black band is to eliminate an overly bright area from the light. After all, the band is directly in front of where the light is and only appears when you turn the light on. Therefore, it has a purpose!
That make sens. At least good news it wont appear when not using light. I have to try the settings too as said for sleep & power.
It's just that 6" is SMALL, well small and every wasted line make the device less convenient. Before the glo I had an LCD ereader (90% of my reading is by night) of 7" and that was the good size for a reader. My old reader was off (not standby) to ready to read in about 3 seconds too and that was nice. Well the screen was not so nice and it last about 4 to 6 hours before recharge and that was not nice
mururoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
vice-versa, most other ereaders DON'T behave the same way; look at some others (try a non-illuminated Kindle). Also, when you're paying a lot of money for screen real estate, YOU should be able to decide what goes on that real estate. Also, actually, most printed books these days have the page numbers in the HEADERS, not the FOOTERS, so if you're going to make an argument that "real books do the exact same thing," it's actually worth looking at a real book before you do so.

The real answer is that none of Kobo, Kindle, or Nook have found a way to deal with the interference patterns caused by the LEDs they use for their backlights at the edge of the screen closest to the location of the LEDs, and so they seek to disguise that location. A solution that did not eat up screen real estate migh be to recess the LEDs further into the bezel, protected behind a clear wall, but no one has implemented that. (Kobo's unique solution is to make the bottom line inverse video, but it is entirely an attempt to mask a flaw in the display technology, and has nothing to do with emulating paper books.)
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #9
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
Wink

I'm really confused, but just opened a paper book bought 2 months ago (yes, I know I should NOT have done this, but I succombed ) and in the header it reads "Lux Tenebrae" and in the footer the page number... Perhaps in France we lack civilisation Try and teach our editors

I did'nt wanted to be offensive with my previous remark I personnaly set the font size very small (I don't like huge letters) so even on a 6 inch device, I get more reading in a page than in the actual paper book I mentioned above (that makes me wonder how I could enjoy reading it being so hugely written).

Again, I just hope you'll find a way for your device to display the way you like it
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Also, actually, most printed books these days have the page numbers in the HEADERS, not the FOOTERS, so if you're going to make an argument that "real books do the exact same thing," it's actually worth looking at a real book before you do so.
Actually, I own thousands of paper books, but NONE of my books have the page numbers in the HEADERS. I am from Europe, so maybe it's common in Europe to have the page numbers in the FOOTERS instead.

I understand that vice-versa is from France, so maybe it's worth looking at the location of a poster before teaching him a lesson
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:20 PM   #11
vitor.fernandes
vitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughingvitor.fernandes can shake the floor when laughing

Device: none
Guys, you're all missing the point. The issue is not the Glo taking 1 line of text for the page number,that is normal as in the paperwhite. The issue is the Glo taking about 4 lines of text to display only the page number. No way of removing this huge bar, only option is to have it in Black or transparent.

I know this is to mask the blotchy bottom screen, but I'd like an option to make it like the Kindle Paperwhite.
vitor.fernandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:36 AM   #12
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
As a former Sony User I was also kinda annoyed with the "waste" of space, the Sony readers in comparison put a lot more Text on the screen.
What helped me was to reformat my books, reducing the linespacing to 110% or even 105%, and most importantly removing top and bottom margins really helped to get the feeling of having a properly filled page to read.

Most books have fixed 5px margins on top and bottom set in their css, as most readers write Text right on the edge of the screen otherwise.
The Kobo automaticaly leaves a comfortable 3-4px white space on top, and it of course has a huge empty space at the bottom that makes any lower margin redundant.

Just removing those lines should net you an extra line of text, or more depending on your fontsize.
I know it's not the solution you really want, but it was a big step for my reading comfort, and you at least regain one line back from the bottom white space.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote