Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2012, 04:55 AM   #16
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One/Kobo Touch/iPad3
makes the screen white background + light= it seems bad for me? i know its not the same whiteness like on lcd tablets, but still have my doubts...
Tacty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #17
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
I had a Touch, I bought a Glo and I don't regret it I read with light off when the ambiant light is good and with the light on when in dimly lighted conditions. It's clearly an addition to the pleasure I had with my Touch (I gifted it to my mother that is very happy with it).
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #18
Tzar
World War II buff
Tzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
Please one question.

Has Kobo glo similar contrast than kobo touch with light off?

thanks ;-)
With light off, contrast remains better on the Glo due to higher resolution. Text is sharper. When you compare both side-to-side it is apparent although I wouldn't say it's revolutionary, it's an evolution.
Tzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #19
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Glo owners, do you notice that the light guide layer it there? What I mean is that when I had a Paperwhite when I'd view the screen at a bit of an angle sometimes it would almost have an effect that made the text appear to be 'under glass', where as my regular eInk devices didn't do that.
Perhaps this is nothing to do with the light guide layer, but the additional layer the Paperwhite has for the capacitive touch screen, whereas the Kobo still uses the (tried & tested) infra red touch?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #20
ashan
Connoisseur
ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: could be Kobo Glo or KPW
Quote:
Please one question.

thanks ;-)
I spent some time studying this and I can say that the glo is just a tad whiter than the touch. Of course I compared the white touch with the white Glo. I don't know how is for other people's eyes but the colour of the bezel really makes a difference there...

And as an advice: get the Glo, i just sold my K touch because of the lighting conditions, as I don't live in Miami ) another reason is that the bezel was white and made the screen more grey, although I just love the white bezel on ereaders...
ashan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #21
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Can't really tell you about the Touch cause I never possessed one. But I can tell you about the Glo compared to the Sony PRS-650 which is the reader I used until the Glo and I can tell you that the difference is huge. Now that I've been reading on my Glo for a week, when trying my 650 again I can tell immediately how poor the contrast is in comparison. The background is very greyish in the 650 whereas in the Kobo it's almost white, words are a dark crisp black that contrast nicely with the background. I simply could not read on my 650 anymore now that I took a bite at my Kobo Glo ...

Quote:
Please one question.

thanks ;-)

Last edited by Quexos; 10-28-2012 at 06:57 AM.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #22
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Thank you very much, I'm purchased paperwhite, but, if it doesn't like me, then i'm going with kobo glo ;-)
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #23
tnforpaul45
Zealot
tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle DX
There's a few other things to consider to: The Glo has a much higher resolution screen in it. The text is crisp and clean and pops, no fuzzyness. Also, I think, from the videos that I've seen, that the Glo is a bit faster as well, speedier device.

The "Glo" feature is not the only plus
tnforpaul45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #24
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnforpaul45 View Post
There's a few other things to consider to: The Glo has a much higher resolution screen in it. The text is crisp and clean and pops, no fuzzyness. Also, I think, from the videos that I've seen, that the Glo is a bit faster as well, speedier device.

The "Glo" feature is not the only plus
And yet, at least for some of us, the front-lighting was the key feature. I could have lived with every other element of the Kobo Touch, but opted for the Kobo Vox instead because I read in bed at night with my partner asleep a lot and needed it (a book light would have been more disturbing to her than an integrated front-light).

The front-lighting converted me from a tablet-based e-reader to an e-ink e-reader.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #25
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
So how does it feel to have to wait when others have it already ?
It doesn't bother me that much since I have devices I can use, but if they wait to long something else may hit the radar of potential customers. I think most folks agree worldwide release would be nice on all products, I know I never rub it in when we get stuff here first.

Quote:
On the other hand Kobo is hurting their profits by not selling there right now. Stuff comes there first cause it's the biggest single market in the world of course. So I wonder what is Kobo's strategy here ?
I think their strategy was that since there is a shortage they'd try and get into the markets where they had the best market share first (although with reports that Amazon has 90% of the UK market I'm not sure that's it) or where they had fairly strong retail bookstore partnerships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Perhaps this is nothing to do with the light guide layer, but the additional layer the Paperwhite has for the capacitive touch screen, whereas the Kobo still uses the (tried & tested) infra red touch?
The capacitive layer is a transparent chemical layer that's 'painted' on so I don't think that's it. I found it more responsive that IR, but not by much.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #26
rpiotr
rpiotr has learned how to read e-booksrpiotr has learned how to read e-booksrpiotr has learned how to read e-booksrpiotr has learned how to read e-booksrpiotr has learned how to read e-booksrpiotr has learned how to read e-booksrpiotr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo Touch
So, the decision is made. Today I bought Kobo Touch
At first touch I am very satisfied, thank you all for hints.
rpiotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #27
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
As much as I like my Glo, I don't think I would have had the patience to wait if I was in your shoes.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:45 AM   #28
echwel
Connoisseur
echwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavensechwel is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Forma (sold), Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobokobe View Post
As much as I like my Glo, I don't think I would have had the patience to wait if I was in your shoes.
If I had known on August 24th, that the Glo was coming, I think I would have waited, and not have bought a Touch...
echwel is offline   Reply With Quote