Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-09-2007, 08:43 PM   #1
dxt78
dxt78 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Books with TABLE OF CONTENTS

Hi everyone,
I just got my Amazon Kindle, and I am very excitedly using it. But, I have just one issue: its hard to read long ebooks without there being a table of contents, because you cannot, say, move easily to a chapter in the middle of the book.

1) Some books bought from Amazon don't have a table of contents - I have already returned one book for this reason.

2) Book that I download in azm format also do not have a table of contents.

3) I am using mobipocket creator to convert pdf books to Kindle-compatible format (prc), but I also do not know how to add a table of contents.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
dxt78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:32 AM   #2
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I've been fortunate that all the books I've purchased so far have had good formatting, but I'm feeling your pain on point 3. I'd really like to know how to format books correctly for conversion. I've been trying to find a concise how-to without much luck.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2007, 01:22 AM   #3
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
We've just released our Mobipocket/Kindle output on Feedbooks and we already got TOC support through an inline-HTML TOC at the end of the book (it's referenced as a TOC in the guide).

With Mobigen, you can add a TOC if you use an OPF file instead of a single HTML file.

Try Feedbooks if you're looking for an example: http://www.feedbooks.com/discover
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:29 AM   #4
dxt78
dxt78 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi, I will check out your website tonight - thanks for your input. I just bought another book without a table of contents from Amazon and am currently trying to return it...
dxt78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:43 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have yet to see a book with no ToC in BBeB format purchased via Sony Connect, Mobipocket or in MS Reader format ebooks. Is this something that may be unique to AZW format ebooks? Did they get rushed to be released and maybe the ToC was left out by accident?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have yet to see a book with no ToC in BBeB format purchased via Sony Connect, Mobipocket or in MS Reader format ebooks. Is this something that may be unique to AZW format ebooks? Did they get rushed to be released and maybe the ToC was left out by accident?
All of my purchased books have had ToC. Many of the conversions I've gotten of Gutenberg files have not.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:51 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
All of the books I've uploaded to Amazon were either from Word files or Mobi files, and all had functioning TOCs in them. When I upload the books and checked the preview function of the DTP server, the TOCs did not work. I have assumed that the TOCs do work on actual Kindle devices, but as I don't know anyone who's purchased any of my books from Amazon, I haven't gotten any feedback on it.

I can only say I hope they work as they should, because Amazon's tech support on Kindle publishing has been pretty lax, and I don't expect them to put any effort into changing something on their system (unless it's a major glitch).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:52 PM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I've purchased many books in PRC format without a TOC. Mostly shorter books from smaller publishers.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:07 PM   #9
Alisa
Gadget Geek

So far my purchases have been more from larger publishers. I haven't purchased any of the self-published works yet.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:51 PM   #10
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Clearly you have not bought any of the disappointingly-formatted Connect Classics, Jon.
No ToC and full of errors. I had the option of 50 classics as an offer when I bought the Reader. After finding the first six were dreadful, I didn't bother downloading any more. And I've since replaced the six with home-made versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote