Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
*Angie*
Bookish
*Angie* doesn't litter*Angie* doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS-300
My homemade cover

I officially really dislike the sleeve thing that came with my 300. Ugly and annoying to use. I really couldn't see spending $40 on the official Sony cover, so I decided to take a shot at making my own.

I didn't need anything super sturdy, I mostly wanted something light that would protect it from scratches and minor bumps while carrying it in my purse. The inner & outer layers are each made of 2 layers of flannel fabric, quilted. In between the layers is a piece of plastic canvas, so it's semi-sturdy, slightly flexible, and washable. The closing tab is secured with magnets.

Figuring out a way to hold the reader securly was the biggest challenge. I attempted fabric corner pockets but couldn't get them tight enough. I tried 4 individual pieces of ribbon and elastic on the corners, but again, had trouble making it so it felt really secure. Finally I came up with the following... I took lots of photos in case anyone wants to duplicate it, it works fantastically.

I took one long piece of elastic and wrapped it fairly tightly around opposite diagnal corners, then safety pinned the ends together. I then did the same with a 2nd piece of elastic on the other corners:

With the elastic still on the reader, I hand stitched together the elastic at the 4 points they crossed over, and removed the safety pins.

Next I took a piece of chalk and marked the elastic on these 4 points, plus the 8 points on the elastic close to the edges of the reader. I used chalk so that when I positioned the reader where it would sit in the cover, the chalk rubbed off onto the cover.
Now I removed the elastic from the reader, lined up the chalked points, and hand stitched these points to the cover:

It holds the reader onto the cover amazingly well. It's so secure, I can hold the cover by the open end and shake it around and the reader doesn't even budge. The elastic does cover the AC/USB holes on the bottom, but it's easily pushed aside when you need to plug it in, and otherwise helps to keep dirt (or kids cookie crumbs at the bottom of your purse LOL) from getting into them.

*Angie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:20 PM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Looks awesome!

So, when do you take orders?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Nice cover. Very well done.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote