Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
Jayfrizzy
Jayfrizzy began at the beginning.

Device: None
Split Contents Into Seperate Books

How do I go about splitting a file with with 5 ebooks in 1 file into 5 seperate ebook files?

I've attached the file in case anyone can be of assistance

Last edited by theducks; 08-27-2013 at 10:54 PM. Reason: delete copyrighted attachment
Jayfrizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Use calibre and the ePubSplit plugin, and don't post copyrighted material.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:15 AM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Are there instructions anywhere for using it? It's not obvious and I don't see a "help" button.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:59 AM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Are there instructions anywhere for using it? It's not obvious and I don't see a "help" button.
Did you try the Sigil User's Guide? Here's the direct link to the splitting and merging section: http://web.sigil.googlecode.com/git/...d_merging.html

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:16 AM   #5
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Did you try the Sigil User's Guide? Here's the direct link to the splitting and merging section: http://web.sigil.googlecode.com/git/...d_merging.html

Hitch
This explains how to use the ePubSplit plugin? Hmm, I'm still using Sigil 0.5.3 - I wonder if these manual instructions work in that... I'll have to experiment.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:30 AM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
This explains how to use the ePubSplit plugin? Hmm, I'm still using Sigil 0.5.3 - I wonder if these manual instructions work in that... I'll have to experiment.
Well, the split mechanism certainly works almost exactly the same. In fact, I think it was easier to use the split icon (or the insert-split-marker) in 5.3, but it works identically, all-in-all. I think what's different from 0.5.3 to now in that department is that you can sequentially rename split files now.

Why are you using 0.5.3? Is this a Mac thing?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If you don't want to us Calibre-epubsplit PI

Use any version of Sigil to adjust files so 'a book' does not share a common section file (use Sigil Split).
Make 5 copies of the original EPUB file (rename each copy to reflect the end results books name)

Use Sigil to delete all but the desired 'book' from each of the saved EPUB copies. Adjust the TOC as needed

BTW use the latest Sigil if you don't have a compelling system reason .
It really has improved since 5.3

Last edited by theducks; 08-28-2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Clarity
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Just try - it won't touch your original bookfile (if you feel unsecure, save a copy of your book somewhere else). And actually it's rather straightforward: Load the epub in Calibre, press the epubsplit button, choose where you want it split and go ahead. To split it in five parts you will have to do some planning, as the plugin only seems to split the book in two each time.

You'll find epubsplit group on MobileRead here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178799

Regarding the splitting function in Sigil, it only splits the internal files in the epub - it does not split an omnibus into separate epub files, which I think is what you're after.

Regards,

Kim
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:58 AM   #9
FizzyWater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Why are you using 0.5.3? Is this a Mac thing?
Well, all I remember at this point is something in one of the upgrades close to 0.5.3 had something I didn't want, didn't understand, *or* it sounded like it was getting more complicated than I wanted.

I don't remember - I mostly use it to do simple things (remove extra covers and book ads) and occasionally a little more complicated when I'm feeling ambitious (splitting a book so there are separate HTML files for each chapter, rather than one long run-on file (possible split because of its length).

I just use it to pretty-up the books I don't like the layout or format of, mostly. It does what I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrarian View Post
Just try - it won't touch your original bookfile (if you feel unsecure, save a copy of your book somewhere else). And actually it's rather straightforward: Load the epub in Calibre, press the epubsplit button, choose where you want it split and go ahead. To split it in five parts you will have to do some planning, as the plugin only seems to split the book in two each time.
Uh, okay, I had a little luck tonight, but it still sounds like I'm not doing it "right". I clicked on the epubsplit button, highlighted each item (cover, TOC, chap1, chap2, etc) I wanted to be in 1 book and clicked split. It created a separate file with just that book. Then I repeated it 4 more times, for each of the 5 books. I couldn't figure out how to tell it "split here" (as if I wanted to split a file into 2 parts). It did what I wanted, but I didn't find it intuitive at all.

I read the top post on the sticky thread about the plug in - it seemed like a list of things it could do, without any instructions on how to do them. And I didn't have time to read through all the posts that had been made since it was rolled out. So I just experimented until I could actually get it to do something.

I can't help but think - for example - the middle column serves a purpose. I tried clicking in that column, right clicking for a context menu, clicking in a row and typing or tabbing....nothing, nothing, nothing.

I appreciate that folks make these. I do. I know with stuff like this it's an "as-is" deal. I'm just used to them being more obvious than this one....

....of course there's always the possibility there's a "click here to allow editing" button or F key that I simply missed, that would make it all obvious, and I'll feel like an idiot when I finally find it.