Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-21-2014, 09:31 PM   #7921
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Have you seen this one?

cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:30 AM   #7922
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃

Aladdin's wife?
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:27 AM   #7923
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
So my home phone rings last night and I see the caller ID shows "Out of Area" and a 305 area code. I know it's a telemarketer of some kind and lately I have been trying my best to keep whomever may be calling on the line as long as possible. I figure that if the goal of the telemarketing system is to reach as many people as possible, every minute I can detain the caller from moving on to the next victim means a hit to the marketing system's efficiency.

To my amazement, I actually received a call from the AAMMYY scammers. The heavily accented person on the other end let me know he was from Microsoft and all of the little "send error message to Microsoft" notices that pop up on my computer finally came to their attention and that he was calling to fix the problem. I managed to keep the guy on the phone for nearly twenty minutes before he finally hung up on me.

I figured these people are looking for the most tech-un-savvy people they can find so my best bet was to play as dumb as possible (which isn't really too much of a stretch for my meager acting skills).

The general flow of the conversation went along these lines:
- I was asked to open my web browser. I finally figured that one out.
- I was asked to go to the AMMYY.COM web site. After several heavily accented and extremely slow and over enunciated repetitions I was finally able to type in the website address.
- I was asked to click on a button to install something. "I don't see a button", "What do you see?", "A long list of search results", "Does one of them say 'remote desktop'?", "Not that I can see", "Let's try typing it in again", "OK."
- When the scammer lost hope of completing the above step he decided to try something else: "Let's try typing in to the address bar", "The what?", "Do you see a line at the top of the screen that starts with 'http'?", "Where?", "Top of the screen", "I don't see one", "Are you sure?", "I think so."
- Eventually he tried a different tactic: "Do you know where the spacebar is on the keyboard?", "The what?", "The big long key with nothing on it", "Yeah, I see it", "Do you see A, L, T next to it?", "The A, the L, and the what?", "No, a single key with A, L, and T together", "Oh, yeah, I see it", "Next to that is a key with four little boxes", "No, I see a key with an apple on it", "Apple? Are you on a Mac?", "Yeah", "No, I need you to go to your Windows computer", "Windows? I don't have one of those."

At this point the scammer finally had enough and hung up on me.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #7924
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It took me a long time to figure out what suspender Dorothy was supposed to be. Where's my coffee?
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #7925
PoP
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ Me too.

Autocorrect is your worst enema.

For those not old enough to remember:
Spoiler:
Will really spoil it:
Spoiler:
Old 07-23-2014, 09:17 AM   #7926
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
I still don't know what it means
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #7927
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
I still don't know what it means
From Wikipedia: Surrender Dorothy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Surrender-Dorothy-the-wizard-of-oz-5590189-239-174.gif
Views:	364
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	125725  
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #7928
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
From Wikipedia: Surrender Dorothy.
Aha, thanks I never watched the films.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:12 PM   #7929
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:45 PM   #7930
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Why do I find that so funny?
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:13 PM   #7931
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Cracked me up, too, and it seems inexplicable that it should do so.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:40 AM   #7932
PoP

A grade school teacher was asking his pupils what their parents did for a living.

"Tim, you be first. What does your mother do?"
Tim stood up and said, "She's a doctor."

"That's wonderful. How about you, Amy?"
Amy shyly stood up, scuffed her feet and said, "My father is a mailman."

"Thank you, Amy" said the teacher. "What does your parent do, Billy?"
Billy stood up and proudly announced, "My daddy plays piano in a whorehouse."

The teacher was shocked and went to Billy's house. Billy's father answered the door. The teacher explained what his son had said and demanded an explanation.

Billy's dad said, "I'm actually an internationalization engineer specializing in collation and normalization with multibyte Unicode canonical encoding called UTF-8 and UTF-16.

How can I explain a thing like that to a seven-year-old?"
Old 07-27-2014, 05:30 PM   #7933
cromag
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, the seven year old kid probably has the best chance at understanding!

I was a stay-at-home dad when my kids were growing up. One Father's Day, when my son was in pre-school, the teacher had the kids get up and tell the class what their fathers did. When she got to my son he stood up, shrugged his shoulders, and said "beats me!"

Last edited by cromag; 07-27-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:46 AM   #7934
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Noah had populated the Ark with two of all animals, and as the journey progressed more and more of the animals were producing offspring; all that is, except two snakes.

Try as they might, the snakes remained barren.

One day Noah's son Ham had been practicing his woodworking and had made a lovely little table. Not being sure what to do with it, the spirit of good will moved him to place it in the snake's quarters.

Lo and Behold, a few months later the Ark saw the birth of young snakes, and all rejoiced.

Noah approached the snakes and asked what had changed; what allowed them to suddenly replicate.

The snakes looked at each other, and then at Noah, and replied ...

"You see; we are just simple Adders and you gave us a Log Table, so then we could multiply."
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:14 AM   #7935
cromag

*Groan!*