Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
ghero
Connoisseur
ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently owned: Nook HD+, pyrus mini. Previously owned: Sony prs-t2.
Fantasies on ereaders of the future

Here is one of mine:

E-ink, at least 9 inch or larger, high res (retina lvl or higher), fast processor, front lit, long battery life, thin and light, WITH PEN SUPPORT.

I think this kind of e reader will be perfect to read pdfs, comics, research papers. And with pen support (which allows your hand to rest comfortably on the touch screen while using the pen to write), people can also use it to take notes from lectures, to replace massive note papers and heavy binders (common, it is so eco-friendly ). Also, can you imagine, a device that not only allows you to read like on a real paper, but also allows you to write like on a real paper? I think if the cost can be managed properly, this kind of ereaders can be easily marketed to students. Lower cost, high battery life, light and thin, and paper reading experience shall give it an advantage over LCD tablet notes. Also, having an open ecosystem on this kind of ereader is going to be great, since you can have other 3rd parties to develop amazing note taking apps on this.

So what's yours?
ghero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Covered in another thread:
  • More file format support; specifically, doc/rtf/html: easily-editable formats. It's a nuisance to edit epubs.
  • Buttons, not touchscreens. Or in addition to touchscreens. I don't like having to smear the reading surface.
  • Multiple types of bookmarks, even if they're just checkmark/dot/star--the equivalent of color-coded post-it flags.
  • Better annotation/highlight support. Exportable as csv file.
  • Ability to flag 2 (or more) books as "open right now" to switch back and forth between them easily.
  • Side-by-side view of those two books, even if that means landscaped and only a few lines at a time.
  • Better image zoom, including auto-captioning with the image filename and dimensions. (so when you hit zoom, it'd add "map01.jpg, 450x235" underneath it. You'd know whether it was worth trying to zoom.)
  • Easy access to the book's metadata while reading it. (Quality of metadata depends on the publisher.)
  • User-Replaceable battery.
  • Solar charger.
  • Tags/groups/folders editable from within the device itself
  • Ability to see lists of both "all ebooks on this device," sorted various ways (title, author, date added, date last accessed, word count, filesize, possibly user-created rating), and subgroups--folders or tags.
I don't want a 9" screen. I prefer a 5" screen; although I can easily see the use for a larger screen, I'd much prefer better image/zoom support. I like a pocket reader; bigger than a 6" screen is a real nuisance for me.

If they ever figure out how to have a two-screen display that folds in half, that'd be great. Until then, I want small screens.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I don't want a 9" screen. I prefer a 5" screen; although I can easily see the use for a larger screen, I'd much prefer better image/zoom support. I like a pocket reader; bigger than a 6" screen is a real nuisance for me.

If they ever figure out how to have a two-screen display that folds in half, that'd be great. Until then, I want small screens.
Why choose screen size? Why fold it? I want it to fit in my pocket, and then I pull it out and stretch it until it's just the size I want for what I'm reading at the time.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
ghero
Connoisseur
ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghero ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently owned: Nook HD+, pyrus mini. Previously owned: Sony prs-t2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Why choose screen size? Why fold it? I want it to fit in my pocket, and then I pull it out and stretch it until it's just the size I want for what I'm reading at the time.
Why stretch it? maybe let them build a 5 inch model but attach a projector lense on back, so you can read off from some random wall if you suddenly decide that you want to read on a larger screen.
ghero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghero View Post
Why stretch it? maybe let them build a 5 inch model but attach a projector lense on back, so you can read off from some random wall if you suddenly decide that you want to read on a larger screen.
Why project it? I would like an implant that goes directly to my optic nerve.
Advert
Old 05-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Sounds like an episode of The Twilight Zone.

If I hear Rod Serling, I'm outta here!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Sounds like an episode of The Twilight Zone.
Or Futurama. Check out the eyePhone.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Actually, it sounds more like something from "The Outer Limits." Episodes tend to show the downsides of incredible technological advances (see the episode "The New Breed" for an example of an advance that at first looks terrific, but becomes a horrifying nightmare).
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #9
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
My current fantasy about an ereader involves having the time and attention to be able to read for more than half an hour at a time, usually just before bed.

but I don't suppose that Amazon could sell me a couple more hours in each day? (and if they could, would it be covered under my Prime membership?)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
What about an ereader like the pull out communicators from Earth Final conflict.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
[QUOTE=Elfwreck;2505827]Covered in another thread:
  • More file format support; specifically, doc/rtf/html: easily-editable formats. It's a nuisance to edit epubs.
  • Buttons, not touchscreens. Or in addition to touchscreens. I don't like having to smear the reading surface.
  • Multiple types of bookmarks, even if they're just checkmark/dot/star--the equivalent of color-coded post-it flags.
  • Better annotation/highlight support. Exportable as csv file.
  • Ability to flag 2 (or more) books as "open right now" to switch back and forth between them easily.
  • Side-by-side view of those two books, even if that means landscaped and only a few lines at a time.
  • Better image zoom, including auto-captioning with the image filename and dimensions. (so when you hit zoom, it'd add "map01.jpg, 450x235" underneath it. You'd know whether it was worth trying to zoom.)
  • Easy access to the book's metadata while reading it. (Quality of metadata depends on the publisher.)
  • Tags/groups/folders editable from within the device itself
  • Ability to see lists of both "all ebooks on this device," sorted various ways (title, author, date added, date last accessed, word count, filesize, possibly user-created rating), and subgroups--folders or tags.

Most of these.

I really want better ways of searching and sorting by various metadata fields

Being able to use the touch screen to take freehand notes with a stylus, saved as a picture not converted to text, for doodles, diagrams and to do lists.

Much better large library management

More memory and a sd slot. I hate and don't trust the cloud. I want all my books with me not off in someone elses control and potentially out of my reach.

For the PC and Mac apps I want Speech Recognition to be able to select, open, and page through the book. I was hospitalized once with IVs in both arms. I couldn't bend my arms without alarms going off so no reading. Very frustrating. A voice controlled app would have been so nice. Even more so for those with permanent motor control problems.

Last edited by crossi; 05-07-2013 at 04:00 PM.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
elemenoP
Wizard

>>Being able to use the touch screen to take freehand notes with a stylus, saved as a picture not converted to text, for doodles, diagrams and to do lists.<<

My Sony Reader can do this, and it even has a slot for the stylus so you don't lose it.

eP
Old 05-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #13
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Fits in my shirt pocket when not in use. Unfolds, or scrolls out, to three times its size for reading.

And for the shirt of the future: more pockets!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #14
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
If you could go ahead and beam it straight into my brain, that'll be great.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #15
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Better contrast. All ereaders I've seen look muddy.
Screens at least as big as a standard paperback.
Nice and solid feeling. I don't like flimsy-feeling things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
>>Being able to use the touch screen to take freehand notes with a stylus, saved as a picture not converted to text, for doodles, diagrams and to do lists.<<

My Sony Reader can do this, and it even has a slot for the stylus so you don't lose it.

eP
The T2 reader? If so, I am much more interested in one. I've been trying to find a good electronic note-taking scheme for ages.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote