Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 01:54 AM   #76
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
I feel a little sad. and a little nasty. I sent back the kindle 2 my bf gave to me as a present few days ago and preordered kindle 3 instead >_<
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:57 AM   #77
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
At this price, it might be something I could recommend to my mother. And they lost a lot of the bezel, which makes it a lot nicer looking.

The only problem (still) is the fact that all books she'll buy will be epub, which would mean removing DRM and converting...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 01:58 AM   #78
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Impressive, but ...

still waiting for native PDF and native ePub support. 99% of my books are PDF and ePub.

now waiting for Kindle DX to be improved the same way.

Although it's way better than K1, K2 i don't need another 6" device.

Native PDF, native ePub, 9.7" and i'm going to switch to Amazon.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:21 AM   #79
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Just curious: does anyone else not like the "graphite" color? I'm glad Amazon still sells a white version. I just don't see the appeal of a darker colored Kindle, especially since black absorbs more heat. Not to say I think it will over heat. It hardly uses enough power for that, of course. But in Arizona, black items definitely get noticeably hotter when in the sun. Maybe that's just a personal dislike. I know the Kindle has been criticized for its color since it came out, though. I just don't know what the big deal is and I have come to think white makes perfect sense on the Kindle.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:23 AM   #80
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Impressive, but ...

still waiting for native PDF and native ePub support. 99% of my books are PDF and ePub.

now waiting for Kindle DX to be improved the same way.

Although it's way better than K1, K2 i don't need another 6" device.

According to the USA Today interview with Jeff Bezos the kindles won't have epub support because they are moving too fast tech-wise and can't wait for 3rd party standards to catch up.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/20...zon29_VA_N.htm
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 02:29 AM   #81
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Where is the BBB (Big Beautiful Bezel) love?

Great improvements for a great reader, but despite Bezo's (IMHO bizarre) comments regarding "3rd party standards needing to catch up" No ePub = No sale.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:35 AM   #82
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
Just curious: does anyone else not like the "graphite" color? I'm glad Amazon still sells a white version. I just don't see the appeal of a darker colored Kindle, especially since black absorbs more heat. Not to say I think it will over heat. It hardly uses enough power for that, of course. But in Arizona, black items definitely get noticeably hotter when in the sun. Maybe that's just a personal dislike. I know the Kindle has been criticized for its color since it came out, though. I just don't know what the big deal is and I have come to think white makes perfect sense on the Kindle.
I have both the white and graphite and find I prefer the graphite. It is not black, it is graphite - a dark grey with keys labeled in a light gold color. Very attractive. The darker bezel makes the display background seem even lighter (and the difference with the new Pearl e-ink is quite noticeable). There is also no bright reflection from the graphite bezel when in the sunlight.

Many people have applied skins to their white Kindles to create the same result. Now it is not necessary.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:36 AM   #83
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
No ePub = No sale.
Yes, that's what i'm saying.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:37 AM   #84
krish
Connoisseur
krish began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302, Kindle 3(Wifi), Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
It is easy to click the screen pictures & see the difference between graphite vs white models in the below 3G model page.
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireles...=sa_menu_kdp33

Feel of contrast to the eyes is way better in graphite compared to white.
krish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:38 AM   #85
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaB View Post
Don't miss the new cover with a built-in light.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Lighted...Z165W/ref=_1_2
Oh man this cover makes me want to buy a K3:
Quote:
The new Kindle 3 cover (bought separately) comes with a built-in LED light powered by your Kindle. It’s marvellous and uses the hinges that lock-in your Kindle to power the LED.
LED light that's powered by the Kindle, now we're talking.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:50 AM   #86
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
The most noteworthy piece of that interview must be this:

"Q: Amazon is selling more Kindle e-books than hardcover books. When will you pass paperbacks?

A: I predict we will surpass paperback sales sometime in the next nine to 12 months. Sometime after that, we'll surpass the combination of paperback and hardcover."

Surpass paperback sales within the next year? That would be truly astounding.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:54 AM   #87
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I got my K2i 20 days ago. Does that mean I can return it and order the K33G instead? (same price) If so, does it need to be returned in original packaging? (I threw out the box after a week when I knew I wanted to keep it)
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:15 AM   #88
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Where is the BBB (Big Beautiful Bezel) love?
You mean the BAB hate (Big Aweful Bezel)?

This Kindle version I rather like. Looks much sleeker than that huge ugly thing that is the 1 and 2.

Quote:
Great improvements for a great reader, but despite Bezo's (IMHO bizarre) comments regarding "3rd party standards needing to catch up" No ePub = No sale.
It's just a way of saying: we won't support any other DRM supplier, because we want the world to use ours. As soon as Amazon starts to support (DRM'd) epub, the other manufacturers better beware...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:17 AM   #89
avlad
avlad began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, DX, DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post

To have native PDF the screen size needs to be bigger than 9.7".
Also, you don't need native ePUB. You can easily convert epub to mobi format using calibre.
Conversion results/pdf books looks very good on a 9.7" DXG.
avlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:25 AM   #90
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlad View Post
To have native PDF the screen size needs to be bigger than 9.7".
Also, you don't need native ePUB. You can easily convert epub to mobi format using calibre.
Conversion results/pdf books looks very good on a 9.7" DXG.
But just try to borrow an ebook from the library.. Bezos says NO!... give Amazon your money, so we can support our "advanced" Mobi format.

No ePub = No sale!

Not catchy enough?

No library lending = No sale!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote