Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-06-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
keegon
keegon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Newbie asking for Advice

Ok, so I've spent the past few hours going through the conversations, and it seems that most users enjoy the Sony PRS-505. However, I can't find one anywhere. I am currently studying abroad in Europe for the next couple years, and was hoping to get an ereader offline. Here's what I would like mine to have:

I want... read books (html/pdf/etc)

borrow books from library

read graphic novels (Comics, is that even possible?)

insert sd/memory

bookmarks (or an easy navigation system)

good battery/replaceable

good screen/can read in daylight (idk the difference between ink
and LCD)

password protect it? I'm not even sure if this is an option.

Any advice on the e-book reader would be greatly appreciated. I've all ready looked at the E-book Reader Matrix, but I think it just confused me more.
keegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:38 AM   #2
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
The 505 has been superseded by the 600. It's still available in odd places (my local M&S has some - or did last week).

If you can't find a 505, your easiest choices for offline buying is the Sony 600. The Sony 300 doesn't have a card slot. None have replaceable batteries. In normal use, you can expect a week or more from them between charges.

E-ink screens (which pretty much all e-readers have) have 2 major benefits: easy to read in very bright light and, crucially, very long battery life compared to LCD. Typical e-reader battery life in reasonable (1-3 hours per day) is between one and two weeks. Typical laptop/netbook life is between one and two days (there are odd exceptions). E-ink screens, like paper, need light, so you can't read them in the dark (hence the discussion here about reading lights).

If I have to recommend, I say go for the Sony 600. It's easily available offline, supports many different formats, allows you to get ebooks from libraries, has a card slot, is very well made and easy to use. Depending where you are in Europe, you might find the Bebook and various equivalents offline. Also a good choice. I pick the Sony because it's easy to find in most countries

There will be many developments in the next year

BTW, none of the standard readers seems to support password security - I think a major flaw.
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 04:40 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick101 View Post
BTW, none of the standard readers seems to support password security - I think a major flaw.
Sure they do. The Sony, for example, allows you to set up a 4-digit keycode that has to be entered when you switch the machine on.

Last edited by ravenne; 12-09-2009 at 01:46 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:42 AM   #4
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sure they do. The Sony, for example, allows you to set up a 4-digit keycode that has to be entered when you switch the machine on.
Oops; sorry. Maybe I should read the manual.

Thanks for the correction
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:04 AM   #5
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
If you really want something with a user replaceable battery and something that can read many formats you can also go for the Pocketbook 360 which I've heard great things about though don't have one myself. I think they're available in Europe or certainly would be via mail order.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert