Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
durk625
durk625 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Sony 505 turns back pages on it's own.. Help

My 505 started skipping back pages a couple of days ago on it own. First it turns back one page at a time for a few pages, then it starts turning back blocks of ten a time. I stop it by pressing menu and going into the history and selecting the page I was originally reading. It can be quite random, intermittent really, but the frequency of the fault is higher at first start up. It can settle for fifty odd pages or more then start again. Any ideas???
durk625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Do you normally use the pages turns buttons on the right or left side of the device?

Does it happen as soon as you open a book or does it only happen after you've hit the back page button once or twice?

It sounds like the back button is getting stuck. Turning back blocks of ten at a time means the button is being held down or stuck for a few seconds.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
durk625

I normally use the buttons on the right hand side of the book. I checked first to see if anything was sticking and couldn't find any evidence of it; the buttons on both sides felt free. I can start as soon as I turn the reader on without touching anything but the on switch. It can happen a few of times in a row with me stopping the automatic page turning by pressing the menu button, then it will read fine for a while before doing it again. There's no set pattern to the intervals of this fault really. Could it be a software or hardware fault? Would hitting the reset help do you think?
Old 03-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Anything is worth a shot, but I suspect it may be a hardware problem specific to that button.

How long have you had the device? Did you buy it locally or online?

If the reset doesn't work then you may have to look into either a return/exchange or sending to sony for repair.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #5
durk625

Bought it online on ebay at the back end of 2007, think it had just come out. So whatever warranty or guarantee has probably now expired.
Thanks for the help....
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
grooks
Wizard

You can still contact Sony and ask what it would cost for service. I would also try the reset method before giving up.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
There's a disassembly guide around too, so when it gets too annoying, you could try taking it apart & making sure the switches/contacts are clean?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you tried the other page turn buttons (the lower left circle)? Also, if the problem is with just the page forward button on the right side, you could ask for help in how to switch the page forward/page previous functions so the working page previous is now a working page next.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:55 PM   #9
wild_Willie2
Zealot
wild_Willie2 began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
Taking the reader apart and cleaning the contacts is not that difficult. I took mine apart last week and it would be quite difficult to break something while doing so as you would only have to slide out the mobo/sceen electronics about 1/3 of lenght of the readers "body"

See this link, you would only have to go upto step eight in order to clean your contacts/GIF connector.
wild_Willie2 is offline   Reply With Quote