Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-28-2016, 02:45 PM   #1
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Basic reader /w LED light: Anything but Kindle. Kobo? Oxford Dictionary. Kindle?

(You could increase the title size from 85 characters to at least 100.)

Here's a little longer than 85 character version of the title for clarity, summary:

I want a basic reader /w a LED light, preferably anything but Kindle, why not? I'm in experimenting mode. How about a Kobo? I need Oxford Dictionary. In the end, I still can't get better than a Kindle?

I'm looking for a basic reader with LED light, good price/performance as an update to my aging Kindle 4. The LED light (and possibly 300 dpi? I don't know) and possibly improved UI would make for the difference. If it has a touchscreen as most readers have these days, it has to be capacitive, infrared sucks. Because of my reading, Oxford English (New American) dictionary is required. It is included, as far as I know, on Kindles, iBooks, Google quick dictionary on the web for quite a few words, it has been included on Sony Readers as well. Nooks, as far as I know had Merriam Webster, which sucks, but I have found no info on the Nook home page which dictionary is included on the currently offered on Nook model for $130. B&N Nook as a business is going downhill, as I'm reading on this very forum, they offer a single reader (in white only?), we are probably better skipping them. Right? The home pages of the $120 Kindle Paperwhite, newly announced Kobo Aura also do not show if they are capacitive or infrared. Any info on the scratch resistance of the screens of any readers?

Any European brands worth mentioning, like Tolino? The one offered with a capacitive touchscreen retails for EUR160, no info on the dictionary, again. The Kobo readers have no info on the type of dictionary included, again.

I don't care about any store integration, first, experience shows I'm ending up reading lots of legally free long forms from the web, second, I allow no DRMed ebook to land on my reader, regardless in which shop I'm buying from. I can convert EBUP <> Kindle format back and forth with a click like everyone. I just thought I would try something else than an Amazon Kindle this time, because I prefer EPUB as a native, open format, it offers me the possibility to choose from more DRM-free sources, Amazon, the company became this big ugly monopoly, you know, with questionable policies (for their own employees as well), so I thought, why not try and support some other venture with my euros or dollars this time?

Kobo as a company (For general support, updates, any hiccups that may occur)? I had these questions about the product (dictionary, the touchscreen being capacitive), I realized they discontinued their email customer service, which was kind of OK, then I just experienced possibly my worst customer service experience through their chat. I have no idea if they use native English speakers or not, but these people either have zero reading comprehension, compassion, understanding (still the less likely scenario in my view, it would be so inhuman), or just so bad company training which essentially denies them any meaningful interaction as a customer service agent via chat (sadly, this is the more likely scenario, I guess).

Whatever reader I end up buying, hopefully it has a better software and interface than the old Kindle 4. I don't need any fancy, a minimalist interface can work, wonders.

Last edited by avid01; 08-29-2016 at 05:59 AM.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:29 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
If you're looking for a back-light, then that excludes ALL eInk readers.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2016, 04:55 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Kobo Glo HD would be your best bet. The basic Kindle is too backic and so is the Kobo Touch 2.0 too basic.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:03 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Oh and if you need a light, you need a front light not a back light.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:27 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Backlight = Tablets Not e-Ink readers they are ALL Front Light.

From K4 you could find Most features on the Paper White 3 ... Amazon.

Need a Backlight Tablet Amazon $49 tablet is a good one to look at.

Last edited by Barbara1955; 08-28-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2016, 05:53 PM   #6
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry for my ignorance. I corrected the title to: Basic reader /w LED light: Anything but Kindle. Kobo? Oxford Dictionary. Kindle?

Though it still shows the wrong version in the list of topics, because of forum settings by admin.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:55 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then you want a newer kindle or a newer kobo or possibly another brand.
Now is there some reason you are so specific about a dictionary and only an admin or mod can change the title.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:24 PM   #8
JazzyJeff
Enthusiast
JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Personally I'm considering the InkBOOK Obsidian. https://smile.amazon.com/inkBOOK-Obs...kBOOK+Obsidian
JazzyJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:45 PM   #9
avid01
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Then you want a newer kindle or a newer kobo or possibly another brand.
That's kind of the obvious thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Now is there some reason you are so specific about a dictionary and only an admin or mod can change the title.
I care about the dictionary because when I read about some esoteric topic, a good dictionary, namely Oxford English/New American gives me a quick, precise definition. There are not so many players in the dictionary game, so probably I can't get a better one than Oxford.

I care about who can change a title because I'm a person who cares, thank you.

Last edited by avid01; 08-28-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:55 PM   #10
avid01
Addict

Here's the little longer than 85 character version of the title for clarity, summary, because I feel that my stance on to Kindle or not to Kindle, again, was not quite clear in the original post:

I want a basic reader /w a LED light, preferably anything but Kindle, why not? I'm in experimenting mode. How about a Kobo? I need Oxford Dictionary. In the end, I still can't get better than a Kindle?

@JazzyJeff: your choice of inkBOOK reader is quite an esoteric one with pretty mediocre reviews. I wouldn't really buy anything on Amazon with a lower than a 4 stars score (except maybe for book titles, I enjoy controversial books, but all my previous 3.5 star books are now upvoted to 4 stars), especially electronics are better have 4.5 stars. For what it's worth.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:57 PM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
That's kind of the obvious thing.

I care about the dictionary because when I read about some esoteric topic, a good dictionary, namely Oxford English/New American gives me a quick, precise definition. There are not so many players in the dictionary game, so probably I can't get a better one than the Oxford one.

I care about who can change a title because I'm a person who cares, thank you.
Would you like me to report your thread for a title change?
Oh and Merriam-Webster is also a good dictionary.
Now I probably wouldn't recommend the edition I have in my library unless you are reading a late 19th century/early 20th century book. It is from 1929.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:25 PM   #12
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have all three Paperwhites, a Kindle Voyage, a Nook Glowlight Plus and a Kobo Aura. I've had 2 other models of the Kobo in the past as well and I had the 4th generation Kindle, which I think is what you said you have.

I can't really recommend the Nook because it's capacative button is always throwing me back to the home screen when I accidentally touch it. Also the dictionary is displayed in grayed out faded text that's difficult to read. Other than that it's a pretty nice device.

The rest, Kindles and Kobos with front lights are all so improved over the Kindle 4 or any other non-lit device that the differences between them are trivial. Pick a Kobo that you like or a Kindle that you like and you'll be happy with your choice.

I prefer Kindles but I could be happy with a Kobo as my only reader. My suggestion is just to pick one on impulse. It'll be the right choice.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:33 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
The home pages of the $120 Kindle Paperwhite, newly announced Kobo Aura also do not show if they are capacitive or infrared.
The Kindle Paperwhite (also the Voyage and the Oasis) has a capacitive screen. The only Kindle with an IR screen is the Basic, but it has no frontlight, so it wouldn't suit you anyway.

All the newer Kobos (Glo HD, Aura HD, H2O) have infrared screens, as far as I know. I don't know what kind of screen the new Aura One has.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:58 PM   #14
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Pocketbook devices have dictionaries, but the default English-English one isn't great. However, you can buy and install other dictionaries from their shop. They sell the Oxford Dictionary of English (single volume, 350,000 words and phrases) for US$10.49. The purchased dictionary does get locked to a single device, though.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:55 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeff View Post
Personally I'm considering the InkBOOK Obsidian. https://smile.amazon.com/inkBOOK-Obs...kBOOK+Obsidian
I would no buy a Reader with a Pearl screen. They look too grey vs Carta.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote