Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you use Palm, Pocket PC, both, or neither?
Palm 18 69.23%
Pocket PC 2 7.69%
Both 4 15.38%
Neither 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2004, 12:00 PM   #1
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Do you use Pocket PC, Palm, both, or neither?

I'm in the process of converting from Palm to Pocket PC, and it got me wondering what the spread is here. It's plain that the majority here are Palm users, but it seems that that may be changing. So let us know: what do you use?
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 12:05 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Still Palm, but I am seriously considering buying a PPC as my next PDA.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2004, 12:41 PM   #3
Mobipocket
Enthusiast
Mobipocket began at the beginning.

Device: al
P800, the top for mobility.
Mobipocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 12:47 PM   #4
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
For the time being...

I am a die-hard Palm guy, but if they don't get their act together in their next line of PDA's (I'd like for them to embrace dual wireless), I may consider switching to the dark side.

Although, thanks to the wonderful lead with GuineaPig, I may go over to Zodiac and experience Sega Genesis goodness with true game controllers.
POL9A
Pride Of Lions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 01:31 PM   #5
statik
statik began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Zire 71
4 more users for palm here. Myself, my wife, father, and amazingly enough my non-techie mother are now hooked on Palm.

No plans for any of us to move to pocket pc.
statik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2004, 01:31 PM   #6
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
I recently bought a PalmOS PDA. So let's see what happens during next year and see if I'll switch to the dark side.
I don't want PalmOS to die, but apparently PalmOne is not taking the right steps.

Still, I'm very curious about what happens in your case, Ignatz. I'd like you to post the advantages... and the problems, too.

Last edited by Francesco; 09-10-2004 at 01:35 PM.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 02:45 PM   #7
gadgetguru
Addict
gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Tungsten T5
While Pocket PC is said to be more robust than Palm OS5 (debatable), most of those advantages like better integration with corporate detabases, better encryption and Point-to-point connections, 99% of those feature I don't use. So as it is, Palm is still my main platform. I do own a Pocket PC (ipaq 2210) and I should say PPC has come a long way baby (from WinCE 2.0 days) but Palm is still more elegant albiet with some limitations like file format for in-RAM files but if you use Palm for awhile, they are non-issues. Maybe its the same for Pocket PC less intuitive interface but being a long-time Palm user, I find it not necessary to switch. The NX80 still fits my needs.

Currently it seems there are more developers doing good games for the Pocket Pc but personally, I had outgrown games for my PDA. It's now mainly for business/educational (datebook, lite-office doc editing, offline website reading, ebooks) use. So I don't need a PPC. In fact, I am less enamored with my PDA now than I am with my new iPod....

Last edited by gadgetguru; 09-10-2004 at 02:48 PM.
gadgetguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 03:19 PM   #8
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
Palm OS all the way, and I'm I big fan of the "Zen of Palm" philosophy. I'm also holding out hope for the return of the Newton OS, and the first World Wide Newton Conference and Einstein Project are encouraging signs. My avatar might actually become a reality .
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 04:17 PM   #9
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
That Zen of Palm link is very interesting, Ballistic.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 12:56 AM   #10
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Well this is shaping up just as I expected. Morpheus, I didn't know that you had a PPC. What is it?
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 03:12 AM   #11
Jorgen
Connoisseur
Jorgen has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony prs-650, iPod, BEBOOK Mini, Nokia n810, iPaq
I am retired now (early) but when I worked: Palm as the main PDA (the one following me everywhere: datebook, calculator, e-books etc) and PPC for other things: Wifi, presenter-to-go (didn't exist for Palm when I bought it), .LIT e-books. I never found a datebook or calculator I liked for PPC's.

Today: mostly PPC because of the Wifi. I read a lot so either Palm or PPC suits me.

Jorgen
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 01:37 PM   #12
mercedes
Apple and Sony zealot
mercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it ismercedes knows what time it is

Device: TH55
Palm OS user but the Pocket PCs with VGA screens and WiFi are very tempting.
mercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 06:33 AM   #13
Shakalak
Shakalak began at the beginning.

Device: iPaq 4150 / SE T610
Hi, this will be my first post in this community.
I first started using Palm (III if my memory doesn't fail me) in 96 and it never became anything else than a substitute for my Filofax and something to play backgammon on when I was stuck somewhere.
A couple of years later I bought myself a Palm V and hoped that this would be _it_, but it wasn't. It has recided in a drawer for a couple of years now. A month ago I bought myself a iPaq 4150 and I must say that I'm head over heals in love with this little gadget. I have it with me all the time and I seldom bring my laptop with me anymore.
There isn't much I can't do on this little gadget but what I use it for most of the time is actually for fun. With an extra 512 Mb storage use it as a videoplayer when I'm bored on the subway and a Mp3-player when my girlfriend ste^H^H^Hborows my iPod. As there is plenty of hotspots around stockholm I can even use it for streaming radio and even to manage a shoutcaststream from home. I play a couple puzzlegames and Arkanoid type clones but can't say that I found anything realy good yet.

I already had a Haicom GPS that I bought for my laptop when we where traveling parts of Europe this summer and i just needed a cheap converter and Tomtom 3 to turn it in to a awesome navigator.

Finaly I must say that this seams to be the best PDA-forum there is and I found it very usefeul. I look forward to bother you with all my stupid ideas and setup problems.
Shakalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 06:58 PM   #14
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
As my sig says, I have an HP ipaq h1930 and Sony Clie T615C. I used the Clie for abotu 12 months before I had the opporunity to try out a PPC (another 1930) at work. I fell in love with the form factor (if you've seen a 1930 you'll know what I mean), speed (even though it's a slower model), O/S (I _like_ windows mobile) and the huge amount of things I can do on it (see my other post in these forums to see what I have installed on it )

I rarely use the Clie now, but keep it in my bag (just in case). There were some things I liked about palm os; it's pim features are better than the PPC alternatives, out of the box. Still, I love my PPC and can't ever see myself going back.

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 07:33 PM   #15
divajess
Connoisseur
divajess is on a distinguished road

Device: hp iPAQ 1910, Dell X30H
I started out years ago with a Handspring Visor that I bought myself as a college graduation present. I got hooked enough with having a PDA that I wept bitter tears when my Visor met an untimely death in my icy apartment parking lot...then a friend, to cheer me up, sent me a Casio EM-500 he was no longer using. Color, you say? With a metric ton of programs to install? I can read BOOKS? Watch video? Play NINTENDO? I was hooked from the get go. When I saw the hp 1900 series come out, I fell in love with them too, and snatched up a 1910 when I could afford it. I wish it had wifi/bluetooth (or at least an SDIO compatible SD slot so I could get a wifi card), but other than that it is invaluable to me. I do have my eyes on a new Dell, though, so we'll see...
divajess is offline   Reply With Quote