Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Question Nook HD - Calibre Doesn't See SD Card

I'm trying to use CC and Calibre to send epubs to my new Nook HD. The path I set up in CC is /mnt/sdcard/nameofbook.epub

Shouldn't my SD card show up in Calibre as Storage Card A (as it does on my Nook Tablet when connecting via USB on my Mac)? Storage Card A is grayed out.

Book I sent to main memory before I bought the SD card looked like they were being moved (I saw the cute little Android guy reshelving them), but Storage Management on the Nook HD says the card is 0% full.

Can someone please let me know what I'm missing? Thanks!
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Are you using CC as the device? If so, then no, all books are considered to be in "main memory" no matter where they are really stored on the device. CC ensures that the books are stored where you ask.

BTW: I suggest that you put the books in a subfolder on the SD card. Otherwise every time you connect, CC will scan the entire SD card for books unless you turn off scan on connect. Putting the books in a dedicated subfolder ensures that CC scans only the folder(s) of interest.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your quick response. Right now the only folder I see on my SD card from the Nook HD itself is the LOST.DIR, which is empty. No books show up on the card at all when I check it on the HD, even though CC showed them being moved.

Can I call the subfolder anything I want; i.e. /mnt/sdcard/mybooks ? Does it need to go inside the LOST.DIR folder, since I'm on a Mac? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Are you using CC as the device? If so, then no, all books are considered to be in "main memory" no matter where they are really stored on the device. CC ensures that the books are stored where you ask.

BTW: I suggest that you put the books in a subfolder on the SD card. Otherwise every time you connect, CC will scan the entire SD card for books unless you turn off scan on connect. Putting the books in a dedicated subfolder ensures that CC scans only the folder(s) of interest.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
Thanks for your quick response. Right now the only folder I see on my SD card from the Nook HD itself is the LOST.DIR, which is empty. No books show up on the card at all when I check it on the HD, even though CC showed them being moved.
You are entering uncharted territory for me. I don't have a nook so cannot tell you exactly what you should see. That said, if CC sees the books then they are really there, somewhere.
Quote:
Can I call the subfolder anything I want; i.e. /mnt/sdcard/mybooks ? Does it need to go inside the LOST.DIR folder, since I'm on a Mac? Thanks!
You can make the folder whatever you want. It should not go into LOST.DIR.

My guess it's that you have the name of the SD card wrong and that the books are really going into the device's main memory. I suggest you use tools on the nook to create the subfolder, then navigate to the subfolder in CC instead of manually typing in the path. You can navigate by entering a / and then tapping (IIRC) the create button. You will be shown a list of folders inside /, one of which will be /mnt. Go into that folder and continue until you find the folder you created.

Sorry about this being so complicated, but unfortunately each manufacturer handles external SD cards differently, and it varies from android release to release. Perhaps a nook hd owner who has already solved this problem will notice this thread and provide some concrete details.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe

Thanks anyway for your help. I will try asking on the Nook forum here and also at B&N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
You are entering uncharted territory for me. I don't have a nook so cannot tell you exactly what you should see. That said, if CC sees the books then they are really there, somewhere.
You can make the folder whatever you want. It should not go into LOST.DIR.

My guess it's that you have the name of the SD card wrong and that the books are really going into the device's main memory. I suggest you use tools on the nook to create the subfolder, then navigate to the subfolder in CC instead of manually typing in the path. You can navigate by entering a / and then tapping (IIRC) the create button. You will be shown a list of folders inside /, one of which will be /mnt. Go into that folder and continue until you find the folder you created.

Sorry about this being so complicated, but unfortunately each manufacturer handles external SD cards differently, and it varies from android release to release. Perhaps a nook hd owner who has already solved this problem will notice this thread and provide some concrete details.
Advert
Old 10-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Thanks anyway for your help. I will try asking on the Nook forum here and also at B&N.
No need to ask on the Nook forum (although it can't hurt and may lead to a quicker understanding) simply use a file manager on your Nook to create the folder on your SD card then via CC settings Book formats and folders tell CC where to place the books as suggested, here is the FAQ on this topic.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe

Is a file manager something I can use without rooting?

Just for anyone else who has run into this same problem, the correct path seems to be: /mnt/ext_sdcard Or at least that worked for me; the books are now appearing on the SD card.

Thanks, everyone, for all your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
No need to ask on the Nook forum (although it can't hurt and may lead to a quicker understanding) simply use a file manager on your Nook to create the folder on your SD card then via CC settings Book formats and folders tell CC where to place the books as suggested, here is the FAQ on this topic.

Good Luck.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Is a file manager something I can use without rooting?
Yes, just search the Play store file manager.

Quote:
Just for anyone else who has run into this same problem, the correct path seems to be: /mnt/ext_sdcard Or at least that worked for me; the books are now appearing on the SD card.
Good to know, thanks for sharing your solution.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:20 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Thanks, everyone, for all your help.
Glad you got it working, and for telling us how. Shoulders of giants and all that.

If you create a folder called "Books" on the SD card then the path should be /mnt/ext_sdcard/Books.

Tags
calibre, calibre companion, nook hd, sd card problem