Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Releasing a chapter at a time?

I'm thinking, that while this is my first foray into fiction, I might release each chapter on blogspot or something like that free. I don't know how that would work out, or if it's even a good idea if I want to sell the book for .99 or whatever after it's done and edited etc. And also since I'm a new writer, how people would take to the errors I make while I'm learning about this crazy thing. Would it hurt, or would it help, that sort of thing.

Would it be like my youtube.com/jhempel24 channel (shameless plug) where someone goes through and just says it sucks with no reason as to why or what would have made it better (ALL of my videos get an automatic thumbs down from one or two subscribers as soon as it's uploaded).

What are your thoughts?
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I wouldn't. I don't have that level of confidence.

Even though my books tend to be written chronologically (at least so far, we're not talking a long history here), that doesn't stop me constantly going back as I find things that need to inserted or adjusted. And sometimes the changes are more dramatic, the first half of my second book got a complete overhaul after the first draft was complete.

And, as a strange sort of contradiction to my previous paragraph, I also find there there is something strangely permanent about the words once you've got them down, and I sometimes have trouble making myself change things even when I know they must be changed. If I thought I had an audience watching over my shoulder I would feel even more self-conscious about every change.

Of course this is a personal thing. If you are working off a detailed outline you may feel more comfortable that chapters, once written, will stay mostly static. It may be that you are happy to have people watch over the development of your work, and I imagine some may find it interesting to watch, but I know it's not for me. I had enough trouble deciding to reveal the finished product.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
Alex Bleach
Enthusiast
Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC - PDF & Kindle Desktop
Quote:
I'm thinking, that while this is my first foray into fiction, I might release each chapter on blogspot or something like that free. I don't know how that would work out, or if it's even a good idea if I want to sell the book for .99 or whatever after it's done and edited etc. And also since I'm a new writer, how people would take to the errors I make while I'm learning about this crazy thing. Would it hurt, or would it help, that sort of thing.
I don't know. Technically if they download a chapter at a time from blogspot, they can get the whole thing for free, so many people may not want to pay .99. A lot of writers break a big book down into parts and release them cheap and do a further discount on the complete novel e.g. 1 part for .99 of a 3 part story, the complete 3 part novel for $2.49.

I personally released my short story for free, partly to get myself known and partly because I don't think it's good enough to charge for. What's becoming increasing clear is the harshest critic is myself, so it may be the case with other writers. Even published novels by established writers can have mistakes in them, the English language is a strange, as long as it's a good story and grammatically accurate, spell checked and generally coherent - you should be fine.

You could release a chapter for free and charge for the whole book. It depends how long the book is though. Hope that helps.
Alex Bleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
There are dedicated sites for doing just that. One that comes to mind is Bookiejar ( http://www.bookiejar.com/ ). These sites have tools specifically for this kind of thing. Those that are poking around there are expecting work in progress so they are not surprised by it. If you are going to do it, I would suggest a venue like Bookiejar.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #5
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's quite an interesting link, I'll have to check it out.

But I'm also with gmw, while I don't mind releasing bits and pieces here as I'm learning because of the outstanding feedback, I'm not sure I'm ready to give anything to the masses lol
Advert
Old 12-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Very good question. I do know that Kris Rusch http://kriswrites.com/ has done just that on one or more occasions at her site. (and here Freelance Survival Guide and other postings are a treasure!)

I'm taking an approach with my works that are intended to be collections (Marville Stories, and some Essays) to release them either free or low cost (or a combination of both) with the intent of eventually collecting/combining/releasing them as a full-sized book.

My thought on that is that since each story or essay stands alone it works better than would chapters of a novel - at least IMO.

Last edited by kennyc; 12-13-2012 at 07:43 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
jhempel24
Wizard

I've decided I don't want to do that. I'm going to use my account for short/flash fiction. A good friend of mine writes for a living and he's the reason I've even begun to put ideas on paper. He posts these "writing prompts" just to get creative juices flowing.

So I think writing some short fiction while I'm stuck in my other project would be a good exercise, and allow me to experiment with other genres of fiction and get good feedback from other writers. Especially on my tense and POV problems.

I did offer up the prologue to my project (I'm not ready to call it a book, I'm only 40 pages in) on the site though.

[Link deleted -MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-13-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post

Would it be like my youtube.com/jhempel24 channel (shameless plug) where someone goes through and just says it sucks with no reason as to why or what would have made it better (ALL of my videos get an automatic thumbs down from one or two subscribers as soon as it's uploaded).

What are your thoughts?
I did that when I was in your position. I pretty much wrote it out in the open with a new chapter each week and then when it was finished went back and rewrote it all for selling on Amazon.

I don't know how many people were put off by reading the first crappy version, but I doubt I would have ever finished it if it wasn't for the encouragement I got from a few people. The need to write a new chapter every week also helped.

Sales didn't really take off until I made it available in paperback, but considering most of the target audience still buys vinyl records an ebook was always going to be a bit of a long shot.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #9
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've decided I don't want to do that. I'm going to use my account for short/flash fiction. A good friend of mine writes for a living and he's the reason I've even begun to put ideas on paper. He posts these "writing prompts" just to get creative juices flowing.

So I think writing some short fiction while I'm stuck in my other project would be a good exercise, and allow me to experiment with other genres of fiction and get good feedback from other writers. Especially on my tense and POV problems.

I did offer up the prologue to my project (I'm not ready to call it a book, I'm only 40 pages in) on the site though.

[Link deleted - MODERAT0R]

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-15-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why was the link deleted? I skimmed through it while it was still here, it looked to me like a request for feedback on an early draft. There's a few redundant words ("that" in particular) but it seemed okay to me for a first try. I was going to go through it properly now I've got the time.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
jhempel24
Wizard

I'm really not sure why it was deleted. but it's just my name Joe Hempel with the blog spot.com stuff in it. but yes that link was there to get feedback and also to learn and put into practice what I learned from existing offers
Old 12-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
kennyc

And not only was it deleted from my post quoting it, but the quote tags were screwed up destroying my post! Making it look like my 'thumbs up' was in favor of deleting the link which I certainly am not!

I'll leave it at that so I don't get banned again...

Last edited by kennyc; 12-13-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

I'd have it more from the girl's perspective. The revulsion she would feel from her smell, the discomfort from being naked, hunger, etc. Then when she's dead switch to the other POV to make it more obvious who's pregnant.

Not sure why she's standing? If it's the chains holding her upright you need to make that clearer, otherwise she'd be sat down.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #14
jhempel24
Wizard

Thank you so much for your feedback.

I had thought the person pregnant would be obvious but after reading it back I can definitely see where there would be confusion now that you pointed it out.

She was standing because I originally had sit but the weight of her body if she were killed sitting down would not drag the woman to the floor. But being a statistic woman that she is she could easily have them standing because when their legs give out their wrists would have to support the wight for long periods. But now that I'm typing that out I see that she would not slide to the floor because she's chained to the wall.

Thank you for pointing out some stuff that definitely need to change
Old 12-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #15
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
But being a statistic woman that she is she could easily have them standing because when their legs give out their wrists would have to support the wight for long periods. But now that I'm typing that out I see that she would not slide to the floor because she's chained to the wall.

Thank you for pointing out some stuff that definitely need to change
Hey, I have a degree in statistics... we are not THAT bad... really... okay maybe, but still!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote