Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Odd PDF performance

So, I got my Aura HD last night (side note: Kudos to Future Shop and Canada Post. Ordered on Sunday, in my hands Tuesday via no-extra-charge shipping? Excellent!) and loaded my Shadowrun PDFs onto my new Kingston 8GB Class 4 SDHC card.

I'm thinking I may have picked the wrong card. I figured for ebooks, Class 4 would work fine. (I also remember seeing somewhere around here that Class 4 might work better in ereaders then Class 10.) But the Shadowrun 5th Ed Handbook is displayed so slowly.

Page turns take seconds (usually 3-10). Now, once the page is displayed, things are *fast*. Zoom is pretty much instant. And the display is, of course, beautiful. But the page turns are painful.

I put the Exalted 5th Ed PDF in main memory to compare. The Exalted PDF is larger, by almost 50%. Much faster page turns.

I suppose the next test will be to take the Shadowrun book off the SD card and put it in main memory to compare...
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:59 PM   #2
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I second your thought that the test might be more valid using the same file. Let us know if it turns out to be the card. As for the class four cards being faster the argument is usually made based on the card's abilities to process smaller files more quickly due the card's design and block size. Specifically it would likely be most important to consider when replacing the internal card which handles smaller files as part of the firmware which it holds. Larger files might be faster on a class 10 card being used externally for file storage only.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2014, 09:56 AM   #3
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Son has Sony video recorder shoots 1080P to SD card. Manual says only use class 10 SD card. Faster record performance is reason for class 10. SD cards and all data storage fails sooner or later. Always have backups reduces chance of this being big problem. My library is on 2 readers, 2 computers and servers someplace.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:22 AM   #4
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Well, my gaming pdfs are on a removable sd card and are backed up on several computers and the cloud (my drivethrurpg.com account allows multiple downloads.) So I'm good that way.

Turns out the Exalted pdf I tried (the larger one) was on the sd card as well. I moved the Shadowrun to main memory; still slow. I could swear that the Shadowrun PDF moved faster on my Touch. Wish I could compare, but alas I lost the Touch the same day I ordered the Aura.

Interestingly enough, I can speed up things . If I'm zoomed in, "moving" the display immediately after a tap-to-change will render most of the new page almost immediately. Certain tables and the like take longer. Trying to call up the menu seems to help a bit when I'm not zoomed in.

Even still, loving the Aura HD more & more, even after only two days.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:04 AM   #5
EndlessWaves
Zealot
EndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Aura HD
If any of those PDFs are freely available I'd be happy to try them on my Aura HD for comparison. I've not tried many gaming PDFs yet, but certainly the 397 page/6.8MB dominions 4 manual has no issues with responsiveness.
EndlessWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert