Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Angry You thought agency pricing was bad, how about 95$ for a single ebook?

http://www.directebooks.com/ebook_de...prov=undefined

"This volume completes the translation of Ibn Battuta's narrative. Volume III ended with Ibn Battuta's appointment by the Sultan of Delhi to accompany an embassy to China. In Volume IV he describes his journey to the coast where he embarked near Cambay and sailed to Calicut.The final volume comprises the index to the whole work."

3 volumes at 70-100$ each? The best part, they only have I, IV and V.

I needed them for an assignment, guess I'll order a nice complete set of the dead tree VolI-IV next day air to my house from another continent instead so I can save some money.
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
ouch.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2012, 01:39 AM   #3
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
For specialized books, that is not too bad of a price.

I have seen books over $200. But only appeal to a VERY small audience.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:08 AM   #4
Lirillo
Lirillo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Academic books - even the e-versions - tend to be very high. I wanted to get scientific books for a project, but had to give up when they asked over $300 per book. I'm going to wait for the university library to get them
Lirillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:19 AM   #5
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
The abridged 1829 translation by Rev. Samuel Lee (243 pages) can be found on Google Books, in case that'll do you.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
For specialized books, that is not too bad of a price.

I have seen books over $200. But only appeal to a VERY small audience.
Sure, but normally paper copies are up there too. I could get a complete set for a little bit more than the cost of 1/4 ebooks. And the ebook set wasn't complete. They had the last book(index of the set) but a big gap in the middle.
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #7
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
New or used?

Used pbooks skew the market.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I thought there was an ebook on Amazon that was several thousand dollars. Something about nuclear physics, or something.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Used pbooks skew the market.
I think that depends on your point of view.
I'd rather say that the lack of any used market skews the prices for eBooks.
A market allows for prices to be determined by the balance of buyers and sellers. For eBooks, there is only one seller, the publisher.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
As long as you don't need this book for a course, at $7,478.40 , consider yourself lucky.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lirillo View Post
Academic books - even the e-versions - tend to be very high. I wanted to get scientific books for a project, but had to give up when they asked over $300 per book. I'm going to wait for the university library to get them
And then do old-fashioned pbook-pirating by sticking it in a copy machine? Even at uni library pay-by-page rates, that's bound to be a lot cheaper.

(Disclaimer: My question should not be taken as encouragement or endorsement of copying a textbook in this illegal manner. It's an observation of student behavior I saw all the time while studying in my own uni library.)
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
As long as you don't need this book for a course, at $7,478.40 , consider yourself lucky.

...and the 'reviews' are brilliant
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:19 AM   #13
Lirillo
Lirillo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post

Good grief, I'd need to write an entirely separate grant to afford that book.
Lirillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:26 AM   #14
Gorgonseyes
Connoisseur
Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I understand the concept of supply and demand but they should understand that in todays world, people need a little more encouragement to fork out cash for books... Even if they are needed for college... Most people buy used to save on the crazy costs...

Even regular ebooks shouldn't be priced more than 2.50USD internationally (no matter who the author is) Amazon etc wont go bankrupt or even lose money if they lowered their fees just a tad!

Gorgonseyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:15 AM   #15
Gorgonseyes
Connoisseur
Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gorgonseyes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
Just think of it as an investment.... With it you can learn to create your own energy!
Gorgonseyes is offline   Reply With Quote