Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > BBeB/LRF Books (offline)

Notices

Old 07-10-2007, 06:17 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
White, Lionel: The Big Caper. v1. 10 July 07

A number of Lionel White's books have been made into films, or have inspired films. This is another noir paperback, this one a mystery/thriller.

Here's what I call a "Teaser" from the book. (I've been preserving these when they occur; they may be from the back of the book or from the inside as a summary.)

Everything below is a quote:

The wheels were beginning to turn. From all parts of the country quiet, tough men slipped into the small southern coastal town and took up the final vigil.
There was the arsonist, the safe blower, the boy-faced killer—there was a regiment of crack, lawless men waiting out the minutes until Saturday night—the night the town would explode into violence.
For in the center of town sat the bank—a citadel of twelve million dollars, impregnable as Gibraltar, safe as a church.
Safe—until precisely ten-fifteen on Saturday night. Until the wheels began to pick up momentum, and suddenly a fire lit the sky, and the power went off all over town and under way went the king-sized knockover.
The grand slam.
The Big Caper.

I had some trouble with this one and spent about an hour with it. Please let me know if there are any strange page breaks. I tried to fix them.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote