Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-05-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Cellular Book: Rollup screen e-reader for 2007

You may remember the previous expectations of a rollup screen device by summer 2006. Well, things are not too far behind schedule.

Telecom Italia and Polymer Vision have announced the Cellular Book. "The innovative terminal will be presented to the Industry as a world first at the 3GSM World Congress in Barcelona from February12th (booth in Hall 2, D 06)."

We're all about specs, and here's what we know so far:

* Polymer Vision rollable display technology which extends up to 5-inches
* 16 grey levels
* High contrast/high reflectivity display for paper like reading even in sunlight
* 4gig memory in initial devices
* Newspapers and books can be bought and delivered through TIM’s mobile network via a regular SIM Card
* Wireless access to e-mail, news, information feeds and maps
* Mini-USB slot
* Download and play music, audiobooks and audio podcasts
* Single-handed navigation
* 10 days of average usage time between battery charges

Future improvements should include color and moving images. But it's not clear if this will be a closed or open system. Will you have to buy content over their network, or will you also be able to read your own e-books?

And the bad news? "Telecom Italia will exclusively market the innovative terminal in Italy." No pricing was given for the device, wireless data costs or content.

Thanks to Branko Collin for the news. He has posted his coverage of the device at TeleRead.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:23 AM   #2
branko
Connoisseur
branko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enough

Device: Palm Zire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
And the bad news? "Telecom Italia will exclusively market the innovative terminal in Italy."
Ah, but: "Polymer Vision will market the device in the rest of the world". Which I guess means that only Telecom Italia will get the rights to the device in Italy.
branko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2007, 06:02 AM   #3
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I think I've seen the first serious/possible replacement for my Illiad...! That has some very nice specs...!
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:06 AM   #4
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It's good that they finally come out with it, alas only in a very limited market.

I am concerned that the size of the screen doesn't do it for me. I find even the screen of the Sony Reader - which is 6 inch - could be bigger, and I don't think I could go back to anything smaller.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
An other reader with left handed controls!

I really don't get it! Am I stupid to turn pages with the right hand?

PS Idots can refrain from answering!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2007, 10:51 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Sorry I can't refrain!

Seriously though, yeah, I turn pages with my right hand on a p-book, but I generally hold it in my left hand. On my Reader I both hold it and turn the pages with my left hand. Maybe that's what they're thinking of?

Besides, this thing doesn't look like it has that many controls, and certainly not enough controls to make inverting the screen un-doable. I don't think we know yet if that can be done on this device or not.

It does look like they've maybe found a way to reinforce the rolling screen, which would be a big plus.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:51 AM   #7
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
I mostly use my left hand for reading for short periods or when eating and reading. Though I often switch back and forth when I read for hours at a time. Doesn't the Sony allow for inverting?

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:02 PM   #8
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Sony does'nt permit the hand that holds to swith unless you're holding it horizontal. If you're laying on your side, like 90% of my read time, it's a two handed affair.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:11 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack B Nimble
Doesn't the Sony allow for inverting?
Nope, and that's rather a sore spot with a number of people.

On the other hand (you should pardon the expression ) it also only weighs 9 oz., so it's less of a burden to hold for long periods of time.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:03 PM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Sure but if your hands are too dry or too humid, because of the nature of the material, you have to exert a death grip that is tiresome.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:15 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

Ah, but remember: I use a wrist lanyard when I'm just carrying it around.

Soothes my nervousness about dropping the rascal, as well as reducing the amount of grip force I have to exert to hold it.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:23 PM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Forgot that. I'll grab one off in the crowd of useless old cameras lying around.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:33 PM   #13
erwin
Newton Zaelot
erwin is on a distinguished road

Device: Toshiba G900, Newton
Hi!
I'm in Italy, and I will buy one of these as soon as they will be available. Stay tuned for a review... :-)
erwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:03 AM   #14
Pitchfork
Connoisseur
Pitchfork began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad/Ipaq 6340
The CellularBook looks like it just is a branded version of the upcoming Readius.

Is anyone planning on going to the 3GSM conference in Barcelona? I was thinking of going, but unfortunately will not be able to make it
Pitchfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:45 AM   #15
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchfork
Is anyone planning on going to the 3GSM conference in Barcelona? I was thinking of going, but unfortunately will not be able to make it
Would be cool if someone could go to Barcelona and make some shoot some nice closeups of the Radius for us!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote