Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 03:38 AM   #1
Marcels
Marcels began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Text To Speech

I've owned a Kobo for about 6 months now but I just purchased a Kindle 3 (I'm waiting for it to arrive).

One of the main selling points for me to get a Kindle is the text to speech feature, I've a family friend with dyslexia and they are very interest to see this in action, the hope is that it will help them read their first book and if all goes well, many more.

My question is does this feature work with any MOBI format eBook? I've got a lot of EPUB books I'd like to convert to MOBI and I wanted to know if they'd work? Also what about the free MOBI books out there?

To be honest I'm happy to buy one or two of the books again from Amazon if it means that my friend can try this out.
Marcels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:11 AM   #2
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Some editors don't enable the text- to- speech function, but most books I bought have it.
Also on my own epubs, converted to mobi through Calibre it works.
Most free books I got from Mobile Read so far, mostly Jane Austen and Bronté-sisters have it.
Options are female/male, slow/pause/fast. It also reads foreign books, in my case Dutch, but I wouldn't advise it: incomprehensible through the strong English accent.
I wouldn't know where one can see, in the file of a book, if it has the text-to-speech option.
iPad also has text-to-speech.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 04:11 AM   #3
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Yes.

Doesn't work in PDFs and a lot of books actually from Amazon will turn off the function. But ones you make yourself, be it Mobi or text files will use the TTS feature.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:30 AM   #4
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
One of the main selling points for me to get a Kindle is the text to speech feature
Infact, You can install Balabolka on PC and some good TTS voices from best TTS engines of world.

My best rated are:
3. VW Paul
2.a. VW Kate (Better Pronunciation, but hurts my ears on long listening)
2.a. Acapela Lucy (UK accent.)
1. Acapela Heather (Best for novels with long soft-feeling reading times.)

I completed 3 novels last month with Acapela Heather. VW Kate is what I mostly use with Free NaturalReader Software to read online articles or short stories and news sometimes.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:11 AM   #5
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I can confirm TTS works a treat on all the mobi files I have produced (mainly from PDFs but also conversions from epubs etc.).
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I believe that the FCC ruled that the DRM that blocks TTS can be legally broken for books that have blocked the TTS if you have a real need for the TTS feature. I would say dyslexia qualifies since I know folks with dyslexia that have had to get books read onto tape.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote