Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-20-2006, 09:47 AM   #1
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Question Purchasing iLiad without VAT

As a USian who is a potential purchaser of an iLiad, I'd like to know whether anyone has yet made a purchase without VAT. How does that work, anyway?

Still waiting for my invitation, and mulling over what to do when it arrives...

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:06 AM   #2
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon
As a USian who is a potential purchaser of an iLiad, I'd like to know whether anyone has yet made a purchase without VAT. How does that work, anyway?

Xenophon
I'm guessing that once sales open off the continent they will start with a 'choose your shipping location' or something like that to determine if VAT applies.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:13 AM   #3
oliverbogler
Connoisseur
oliverbogler has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad
Anyone in the US invited?

Quote:

Xenophon
Has anyone in the US received an invitation?
oliverbogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:30 AM   #4
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
customers from outside the EU are suppposed to start receiving invitations in July if I remember correctly.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:50 AM   #5
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
And i don't think that you can avoid VAT if you are not a company inside the EU ?
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:36 AM   #6
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
As I undersand it for the EU:

If you don't pay at point of sale, you would technically be liable for the tax when it enters your country.

But I know UK customs is somewhat lax when letting parcels through.

I have had several huge parcels delivered over the past year. All cost about the same. Only one of them required me to pay a customs fee.

Also, for UK, you will still be liable for duty I think. (just tried to check with a mate who works for customs, but he diddn't know, as he's merely a techie)

Last edited by Riocaz; 06-21-2006 at 04:42 AM.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:11 AM   #7
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Thats fine but VAT is something Irex has to pay and they charge it to you if they have to. If they don't have to (like for costumers who are companies within the EU) they don't charge you the VAT. Thats how it works. It's no tax that will charged by your home land costum when your parcel pass the costum ... (from what i know about international VAT)
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:14 PM   #8
RibRdb2
RibRdb2 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverbogler
I was told US invitations would be going out Tuesday or Wednesday this week (as in yesterday or today), but I haven't gotten one yet. Has anyone else?
RibRdb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:00 PM   #9
oliverbogler
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RibRdb2
I was told US invitations would be going out Tuesday or Wednesday this week (as in yesterday or today), but I haven't gotten one yet. Has anyone else?
OK - I had heard the same thing, exactly, but have also not received one. Perhaps if you get one, you could post that you did, and I will do the same?
Old 06-22-2006, 01:23 AM   #10
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Hehe, nice avatar, oliver
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:45 AM   #11
oliverbogler
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
Hehe, nice avatar, oliver
Thanks!

Darth has his, now I only need to wait for mine ...
Old 06-22-2006, 11:11 AM   #12
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not I (sniff, sniff)
Old 06-22-2006, 11:29 AM   #13
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Quote:
If you try to register with a non-invited email address, it says

Quote:
Dear customer, For the time being the iLiad is only for sale for registered B2B contacts in:

Europe (June)
Rest of world (July)

Sales to consumers will start in the September timeframe. If your access is incorrectly blocked, please contact us on:
which makes me think you'll have to wait till july if you're in the US.
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:26 AM   #14
Xenophon
curmudgeon

Question definitively answered

Now that the web shop is open (at least to MobileReaders who acknowledge that it's a beta), my question has been definitively answered! They're charging the USD equivalent of Euros549 (within a penny or two), so the VAT is NOT included for US purchasers!

Xenophon
Old 07-06-2006, 11:02 AM   #15
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Now that the web shop is open (at least to MobileReaders who acknowledge that it's a beta), my question has been definitively answered! They're charging the USD equivalent of Euros549 (within a penny or two), so the VAT is NOT included for US purchasers!

Xenophon
In fact I got this price too when I put my European VAT number, but then the system went into a buggy situation with the invoice calculation. I guess this was also one of the details to be debugged before allowing for overseas petitions.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote