Notices

Old 06-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
Poldi
Connoisseur
Poldi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Question Problems connecting two libraries

Hello,
lately i can't connect my two libraries in order to transfer some books.
The little orders icon is working for hours till I get the following error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 85, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 476, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 246, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 391, in sync_booklists
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 390, in write_prefix
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\book\json_codec.p y", line 123, in encode_to_file
File "json\__init__.py", line 250, in dumps
File "json\encoder.py", line 209, in encode
MemoryError

Last week it still worked fine
What to do?
Poldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I think you ran out of memory (the last line).
The question: Why?
Is this a Flash drive?
You do know that keeping (using) a Library on a Network drive is unreliable (an not supported)?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you want to transfer books between libraries you dont use connect to folder, you use copy to library.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
Poldi
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If you want to transfer books between libraries you dont use connect to folder, you use copy to library.

Hi, before I can copy to library, I have to connect the two libraries. And this seems to be impossible now. Maybe the database is too big?
Bevore this was no problem at all: open my new library, connect it to my complete library and then copy the books from the new library to the complete library. But now I can't connect my new library to the complete one.
After an our I get either a error message or the whole program crashes.
And an other bad thing is I can't stop this order because it's machine oriented (soory I am using the german version so I have problems to find the right english names.

Anyway, its a phantastic program and I thank you very much for it.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
Poldi
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I think you ran out of memory (the last line).
The question: Why?
Is this a Flash drive?
You do know that keeping (using) a Library on a Network drive is unreliable (an not supported)?
This library is on a normal sata HD with 600 GB free space and it's not integrated in my network.
I was also wonderin about this memory error.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That error comes from trying to connect to a folder as a device, it has nothing to do with libraries. You are either manually trying to conenct to a folder or you have set the auto connect to folder tweak under Preferences->Tweaks.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poldi View Post
before I can copy to library, I have to connect the two libraries.
Actually, you don't.

Both of these libraries have to be real calibre libraries with a metadata.db file in their parent folder. (These libraries cannot be just a set of files you placed somewhere on your hard drive.)

Then you load (Quick Switch) the library that you want to copy from. Highlight all of the books you want to copy and right click on any highlighted book. A context menu appears and you select Copy to Library and the appropriate library name you want to copy to. Calibre will spend some time copying the files over and you should be set.

Please note that under the Add Books toolbar button there is an option on how to treat newly added books that are duplicates. You should set this as you want before adding books.

You might also want to review your Add Books template in Preferences. A good template can save you lots of time correcting data that is based on the filename.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #8
Poldi
Connoisseur

Oh, I did not know that you can transfer books without connecting the libraries. It works and it solves this problem. Normally I add books to the new library, fix all the metadata and then transfer them to my complete library. so I won't need this Add Books Template (?)
Old 07-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #9
Poldi
Connoisseur

I always connected to the folder where my other library sits and it worked (until now).
How do I get the auto connect folder tweak? I don't have it.

This should be my answer to Kovid ;-)
Old 07-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #10
Poldi
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You are either manually trying to conenct to a folder or you have set the auto connect to folder tweak under Preferences->Tweaks.
Wow do I get this Auto Connect Folder Tweak? I don't have it?
Old 07-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poldi View Post
Wow do I get this Auto Connect Folder Tweak? I don't have it?
What version of calibre are you running? You should have the tweak. Preferences - Tweaks and find this tweak. The tweak has been around a long time. If you don't have it you are running an ancient version of calibre.

Quote:
# Specify a folder calibre should connect to at startup

auto_connect_to_folder = ''
Since you have a Kindle what is connecting to a folder as a device going to do for you? The vast majority of folks never have a need to connect to a folder as a device.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-04-2013 at 08:34 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #12
Poldi
Connoisseur

I just updated to Calibre 0.9.38
When I tried to open the Tweaks I got the following error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\main.py", line 282, in show_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\__init__.py", line 636, in create_widget
File "importlib\__init__.py", line 37, in import_module
File "site.py", line 66, in load_module
ZipImportError: can't find module calibre.gui2.preferences.tweaks

Update:

After restarting the computer there was no more error and I found the tweak.
auto_connect_to_folder = ''

I guess that my problems are solved and I thank you all for your help.

Last edited by Poldi; 07-05-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You have a corrupted install, uninstall and re-install and you should be fine.