Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
KingsGambit
E4
KingsGambit began at the beginning.

Device: None
PB360 broken, need a new eReader

With thanks to users in this very forum, I bought a Pocketbook 360 several years ago and I'm very glad I did. It's served me faithfully and been worked quite hard since, but sadly emerged from my carry-on broken following a trans-atlantic flight. Despite the integral screen cover the screen is broken and I now find myself, an Englishman in New York, without an eReader.

I bought a PB602 (I think!) some time ago but simply didn't like it and it now gathers dust. The things I liked most about the 360 was the FBreader180 that gave page turns at the flick of the wrist, the size, weight and ambidextrous form-factor. Another user on this forum kindly helped me get a dictionary on there and working.

My main wants in descending order:
Customisable (eg. fonts, font size, etc), wrist-page turns, ambidextrous, small/light, supports epub (and multi-format), dictionary.

I saw there is a new 360+ out, does it support RBReader180? Is there a small 6" close to the size of the PB360? Performance and screen quality are important, though less so than the above and price isn't an issue. If I can walk into a store somewhere in NY, even better :-) Is the Nook any good? Can it be used with ePubs bought from random stores? My thanks in advance for any advice and all advice most gratefully received.
KingsGambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:49 AM   #2
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
I cannt help with current crop of ereaders, but just wanted to comment that if MY pb360 (just over 2 years old now =-) ) were to break, I would go out and buy one of the newer PB360s.

I just love the ereader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
With thanks to users in this very forum, I bought a Pocketbook 360 several years ago and I'm very glad I did. It's served me faithfully and been worked quite hard since, but sadly emerged from my carry-on broken following a trans-atlantic flight. Despite the integral screen cover the screen is broken and I now find myself, an Englishman in New York, without an eReader.

I bought a PB602 (I think!) some time ago but simply didn't like it and it now gathers dust. The things I liked most about the 360 was the FBreader180 that gave page turns at the flick of the wrist, the size, weight and ambidextrous form-factor. Another user on this forum kindly helped me get a dictionary on there and working.

My main wants in descending order:
Customisable (eg. fonts, font size, etc), wrist-page turns, ambidextrous, small/light, supports epub (and multi-format), dictionary.

I saw there is a new 360+ out, does it support RBReader180? Is there a small 6" close to the size of the PB360? Performance and screen quality are important, though less so than the above and price isn't an issue. If I can walk into a store somewhere in NY, even better :-) Is the Nook any good? Can it be used with ePubs bought from random stores? My thanks in advance for any advice and all advice most gratefully received.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2012, 02:46 AM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
I saw there is a new 360+ out, does it support RBReader180?
Yes it does. You might need to use newer version of FBReader and Coolreader.
There are two new versions available, PB360+ and PB360+NEW. The newest model has faster processor, so pay attention to site selling them, some sites sell all models for almost identical prices. The new models (PB360+ and PB360+NEW) have also WiFi.
Software on new models is different (internaly) and I have noticed that the new models render fonts differently. So the font you like to use on your old model might look a teeeeeny bit different. You might need to look for another font that looks really great on the device.

By the way, I have played with PB602 and I do not like it much either. It has great software, great format support, but I didn't like the form factor that much.
If you are shopping, you might want to have a look at the new PB622 Touch. Seems to be much better device than PB602.
Quote:
Is there a small 6" close to the size of the PB360?
Quite a few. Most of the new 6 inch devices have similar width to PB360. None of them has lid, however.

Unfortunately, NY is not a good place to walk into a random store with electronics and buy PB360. There used to be one store, but I do not know whether it still sells PocketBooks, and if they do if they carry the newest models. PB company seems to have abandoned USA market.
Here is the contact:
http://www.pocketbookreader.com/Contact_Us.php
Quote:
E-Readers Kiosk
229 Brighton Beach Ave
Brooklyn NY 11235
Phone: (914) 374-5067
Business Hours: MON-SAT from 11 AM to 6 PM
Email: info@pocketbookreader.com
We were constantly bitching here about the fact that they sell readers much cheaper in USA. Instead of lowering prices here, as we secretly hoped they would, they stopped selling in USA ;-)

While you are in NY, have a look at stores. They might have some interesting e-ink reader on sale.
But NOT in the center of Manhattan! Some of the shops there have really bad reputation. They count on selling to travelers that have no way to come back and complain.
If I was in NY, and only had time to visit a single store, I would pay a visit to B&H Photo, Video & Pro Audio. B&H has great reputation for selling you what is best for you and not what brings them highest profit [for that single purchase]. That strategy works very well in the long term. There are LOTS of very positive reviews about them on the net.

Last edited by kacir; 08-06-2012 at 02:49 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #4
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
if you are willing to root your device,then the kindle touch will be able to perform all the functions you asked for.the nook str too is good.
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
I'd really steer away from the Nook str. Even rooted you can't get rid of the ads on the homepage and the interface is...annoying at best.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
KingsGambit
E4
KingsGambit began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thank you all for the wonderful replies, your help as ever is greatly appreciated and collective experience and advice is unmatched.

Being in a hurry, I did some basic research and ended up with the Nook (w/glowlight...I have no idea why!) from a B&N store nearby. My PB360 had a broken screen, but I was still able to retrieve my books from it and onto a memory card. I took the card with me and the assistant demonstrated them working on the Nook (as they're all in ePub format) which is enough for now.

I like the 6" screen, though I can't honestly tell the difference between "pearl" and "viziplex". I like how fast it is, particularly with page turns, I like the touch interface and like that I can change page with a simple touch to the side of the screen. I like the dictionary that so far seems quite helpful.

I don't like that I can't get rid of the "Quick Start Guide", lack of real customisation options, I hate the way the library doesn't group by author (tho I can browse "My Files" which Calibre sorted the way I like). I'm not too keen on the overall UI and controls, can't work bookmarks out and it just *does* things I don't want it to :-)

I tried contacting the seller kacir suggested beforehand but the kiosk service is no longer available and I didn't want to wait for delivery. As askyn suggested, I will reorder a new PB360+ when I return to the UK. I miss my fonts, the organisation, the wrist page turns and the interface. I found it an ideal reader and imagine having the same again but with faster processor and more memory can only be good. I hope the Nook works outside the US but I don't really need the store/wi-fi stuff.

I think my ideal reader would be the PB360 with the screen, speed and touch-screen of the Nook and everything else the same. :-) My thanks again, particularly kacir for the great advice about current PocketBook offerings. Greatly appreciated!
KingsGambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
I think my ideal reader would be the PB360 with the screen, speed and touch-screen of the Nook and everything else the same. :-)
The new PB360+ models have noticeably faster page turn speed. Especially the newest one. That is why I emphasized the difference.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote