Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-04-2012, 05:42 AM   #1
tadbear
tadbear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tadbear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tadbear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tadbear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tadbear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tadbear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tadbear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tadbear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tadbear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tadbear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tadbear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: toshiba at100 android touch yablet
making mouse pointer bigger when using with an android table

Hi Guys and Gals, I've just bought a Toshiba AT100 android touch tablet for my aged mother in law. She has macular degeneration and parkinsons so has problems with both eyesight and ability to distinguish between a tap and a push motion. I purchased the device largely so she can read (boy those kindles are tiny- yes you can change print size , but not the menu print size - weird). The other issue is that she can only follow very simple instructions.

I have her using kindle for android app at this time as its the only app i can find for android that enables her to see the books at a reasonable size, so she can choose what to read. I would have preferred calibre for her so that the image of the book could be even bigger (I have limited the number of books she has to her 5 favorite authors at this stage, so that flipping through all the books would not be an issue - she does not feel confident enough to use the onscreen keyboard to find the book she wants to read) but believe it is not available for android.

Anyway my idea was for her to use a logitech wireless mouse with the tablet. The left button on the mouse does work (the mouse means that she does not have to try to distinguish between a tap and a push). The problem is that the mouse pointer is tiny. If it was a pc I could change the size and colour, but I cannot find out anywhere how to increase the size of the mouse pointer with this android tablet. Any help would be appreciated. Also if there is an ereader app for android that shows each book cover largely and is better than kindle I would also like to hear about it.

ps my next avenue of attack if I can't increase the size of the mouse pointer is to see if she can use a stylus on her tablet.

Cheers

Tad
tadbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadbear View Post
Hi Guys and Gals, I've just bought a Toshiba AT100 android touch tablet for my aged mother in law. She has macular degeneration and parkinsons so has problems with both eyesight and ability to distinguish between a tap and a push motion. I purchased the device largely so she can read (boy those kindles are tiny- yes you can change print size , but not the menu print size - weird). The other issue is that she can only follow very simple instructions.

I have her using kindle for android app at this time as its the only app i can find for android that enables her to see the books at a reasonable size, so she can choose what to read. I would have preferred calibre for her so that the image of the book could be even bigger (I have limited the number of books she has to her 5 favorite authors at this stage, so that flipping through all the books would not be an issue - she does not feel confident enough to use the onscreen keyboard to find the book she wants to read) but believe it is not available for android.

Anyway my idea was for her to use a logitech wireless mouse with the tablet. The left button on the mouse does work (the mouse means that she does not have to try to distinguish between a tap and a push). The problem is that the mouse pointer is tiny. If it was a pc I could change the size and colour, but I cannot find out anywhere how to increase the size of the mouse pointer with this android tablet. Any help would be appreciated. Also if there is an ereader app for android that shows each book cover largely and is better than kindle I would also like to hear about it.

ps my next avenue of attack if I can't increase the size of the mouse pointer is to see if she can use a stylus on her tablet.

Cheers

Tad
One of the android experts may be able to help with the cursor size. As for the stylus, if she can handle it, that is a good idea. I like to use a stylus at all times whether on a 3.5" screen (iPod Touch) or a 7' screen (Galaxy Tab 7Plus) because it is more precise and thus I can be quicker. I might add that my hands are on the large size but I don't have control problems.
I don't know how it will play out. I have a sister also with the eye problem.
Maybe afv011 or the like can help you with the cursor.

Anyway,welcome aboard.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I believe you can change the size of items on the screen if you tweak the density of your device. This requires rooting your device, and then modifying a text file (/system/build.prop) to input an "incorrect" value for the DPI. If you increase the DPI, you will get bigger icons. The value to change is ro.sf.lcd_density.

Alternatively, you can use this app: change LCD density. You need root as well.

A note of warning: when you trick your tablet into using a different DPI, some apps in the market may become incompatible and not show anymore, as an app may not look at its best on high density devices and the developer has indicated so when uploading it to the market, so the market will filter out any apps that are deemed unsuitable for high density devices.

Last edited by afv011; 08-04-2012 at 06:47 PM.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
tadbear
tadbear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tadbear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tadbear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tadbear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tadbear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tadbear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tadbear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tadbear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tadbear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tadbear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tadbear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the welcome SeaKing.

I came here because I thought that a group like this would understand the joy that being able to read provides. It's not just the act of reading, but the pleasure of being able to be taken away to other places - the escapism, and the joy of sharing what you are doing with friends.

I am also disabled so understand the continuing loss of one's capacity. It is often the secondary effects that can become more painful. The emotional, psychological and behavioural affects. It is partly due to this that I will continue to endeavor to give her back something that she really treasures.

Tad
Old 08-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
tadbear

Afv011 thanks for the information. I will look into the rooting of an android tablet (with some fear and trepidation) and then see if I can change the density of the device. Also I appreciate the warning.

I have found this link http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/ty...-tool-gui.html for rooting the tablet so will have a good look to see if it within my capabilities.

Cheers

Tad

Last edited by tadbear; 08-04-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Advert