Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
iOS5.1 Available now: Stanza?

But I'm holding off. I've decided that unless there is a really compelling reason to upgrade, I'd rather keep a Stanza that works.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
kiwikobo
Enthusiast
kiwikobo doesn't litterkiwikobo doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Yup. Would also like to hear from any lucky beggars whether this works on ipad3, would be the only thing that stopped me buying one if Stanza is broken.

(Edit, when I said "yup" I meant "yup I would like to know this too", not "yup it works". Suddenly realised that what I wrote was open to misinterpretation!)

Who's going to try OS5.1 first? :-)
kiwikobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I asked a guy in one of my forums if he would mind downloading stanza and telling if it crashes or not... he didnt respond, but anotehr fellow did, and said it works fine. I'm not convinced, however, that the second fellow wasnt just being an a*hole. he often is. So I am still waiting for someone to do the do. On anotehr note I have just updated itunes, and suddenly there was a bunch more apps for update, including ibooks. chances are it was just about the res for the new ipad, but I'll check it out and if its looking OK, amy well make the switch, which I have not yet done to any other app. I keep trying to switch to readme or megareader or ibooks but they all fail in some tiny way, to be as good as stanza.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
I'm not a Stanza user (I use Bluefire) but I do have it installed. I upgraded to 5.1 and am able to browse books and open them with no apparent problem.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
I'm not a Stanza user (I use Bluefire) but I do have it installed. I upgraded to 5.1 and am able to browse books and open them with no apparent problem.
Thank you!
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:34 AM   #6
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadata View Post
Thank you!
+1!

Now, all I need is to be able to actually GET the blasted firmware. The servers are being hammered something shocking, and you just have to be on the right time to get the link working, or your iphone/itunes d/l working. I'm going for teh download link so I have the full package here forever.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:28 AM   #7
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Confirmed. I don't use it, but had it installed on my phone. After 5.1 update it's still there, runs, reads books, can pinch to change font size, swipe for brightness, download books via browser (not within stanza, I get a catalog error), and look up words. I did get one crash when entering the dictionary settings.

My iPad is updating now, so I can't test for a while.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:20 AM   #8
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Works in iPad too. Crash in same place. Was able to download books within app using a source I'd previously added.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:13 AM   #9
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
I'm getting the same thing - if I go into Actions, and then Dictionary, I get an unhandled exception error and Stanza crashes.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #10
kyteflyer
Wizard

Dictionary has been crashing since Amazon's kacky handed update to make it partway compatible with iOS5 and not at all with 4 and below. Still on the hunt for something else thats Stanzaesque.

Doesnt look like I am going to be updating any time soon. Havent been able to get a hold of the update file, either through itunes, or from a direct link... tehre seem to be DNS issues at this end so maybe I'll never get updated. Meh.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #11
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Dictionary has been crashing since Amazon's kacky handed update to make it partway compatible with iOS5 and not at all with 4 and below.
I haven't had any problems using the dictionary under IOS5.01, and I've used it a lot. I too would love to find a decent Stanza replacement but so few of the apps out there have dictionary support at all.

My requirements:
- Dictionary
- Catalog from Dropbox
- Some degree of page control ( margins, color, etc)

So far, Stanza has it all. I would rather pass on the IOS update than to give up Stanza. From what I've seen, there is nothing compelling in 5.1.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwikobo View Post
Who's going to try OS5.1 first? :-)
My iPod touch now has a camera shortcut on the lock screen. Since I only use my touch for internet radio and audiobooks, that feature will go to waste.

I have Stanza so I checked to see if it works; and it does. Don't use it though. Tiny LCD screen bothers my eyes when reading novels.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
I'm getting the same thing - if I go into Actions, and then Dictionary, I get an unhandled exception error and Stanza crashes.
I tried it after reading your post and the same thing happened to me.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #14
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
I haven't had any problems using the dictionary under IOS5.01, and I've used it a lot.
It works fine in 5.1 if you highlight a word and choose define. It crashes if you hit the ... button, then choose dictionary from the list of options.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #15
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
...download books via browser (not within stanza, I get a catalog error),
are you saying that catalog downloads are now broken? Did it work for you before the IOS update? Access to my personal Dropbox catalog is important to me.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote