Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

Kindle Leather Cover for K4 NT compared

I just got my black Kindle Leather Cover for my K4 NT. This in the non-lighted version.

Although the quality is somewhat below that of the Kindle cover for the K3/KK, it is still a good quality. The cover is very light weight and it fits the K4 NT like a glove. The K4 is held in place by a molded rubber and plastic cradle that looks good and works very well. This cradle allows for a secure K4 and takes very little space so it keeps the case streamlined and small. Over all this is a very nice looking, very functional, and pleasantly small and lightweight case.

It does not have a mechanism for keeping the front cover closed like the K3/KK covers. Some might like this, others not so much. I must admit I would have preferred an elastic closure band, but it is okay without one.

I really like the holding mechanism. I hate those covers that use elastic straps at the four corners. This mechanism is very elegant compared to those.

I also very much like that this case was specifically sized/designed for the smaller K4 NT rather than being a larger case designed to also work with the larger K4 Touch.

I've attached a few photos of the cover. Two of the photos show how small it is compared to the larger Marware cover I own.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k4-case-comparison.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	357.4 KB
ID:	78585   Click image for larger version

Name:	k4-case-comparison2.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	78586   Click image for larger version

Name:	k4-cover-opened.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	78587   Click image for larger version

Name:	k4-cover-back.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	78588  

Last edited by jswinden; 11-04-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks, Jack! Do you have a link?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Thank you, Jack! would you be willing to post pictures of the mechanism that holds the Kindle in place, please.

You're description may make me forget how ugly the other new colors are and get one anyway.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Thanks, Jack. I'd been wondering if anything held the cover closed.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
Pepelusky
Pepelusky is a jewel in the roughPepelusky is a jewel in the roughPepelusky is a jewel in the roughPepelusky is a jewel in the roughPepelusky is a jewel in the roughPepelusky is a jewel in the roughPepelusky is a jewel in the roughPepelusky is a jewel in the roughPepelusky is a jewel in the roughPepelusky is a jewel in the roughPepelusky is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Thanks, Jack! Do you have a link?
Here, costs half a kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SD1XB0/

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-04-2011 at 10:00 AM. Reason: shortened URL
Pepelusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Thank you, Jack! would you be willing to post pictures of the mechanism that holds the Kindle in place, please.

You're description may make me forget how ugly the other new colors are and get one anyway.
Sure, tomorrow I will get out my good dSLR and find some good lighting and give it try. I used a consumer camera to photograph the cover earlier, but the lighting was poor. The holding mechanism is dark gray so good lighting will be key.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:56 PM   #7
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Sure, tomorrow I will get out my good dSLR and find some good lighting and give it try. I used a consumer camera to photograph the cover earlier, but the lighting was poor. The holding mechanism is dark gray so good lighting will be key.
Oh! i didn't realize it would be a process...Thank you for agreeing to take the pictures, though!!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepelusky View Post
Here, costs half a kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SD1XB0/
True, but in all fairness most decent covers cost that much for any given eReader. Regardless of eReader model or cover manufacturer, they all cost more than we think they are worth. You can get covers at half that price, but you will typically get what you pay for. Most $20 covers look and feel like they cost half as much as a good cover. Or so has been my experience. It is funny how no one complained much about $40 covers when eReaders were priced at $300 or more, but now that eReaders typically cost less than half that much we tend to complain.

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-04-2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: shortened url
Old 11-04-2011, 01:11 AM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks Pepelusky!

Jack, some of the reviewers doubt that the hinge will last. How do you feel about that?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:09 AM   #10
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
It looks nice, I hope the lighted cover will be available soon. I find the lighted cover for the Kindle Keyboard good, but the light is too strong. It draws an unnecessary hight amount of power, and is disturbing for the sleeper when reading in complete darkness. It would be nice if the new one would allow for example a switch for 2 different strength of the light.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #11
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Jack how thick is it on the top part? What if I had this cover and wanted to use an external clip-on light, is it too thick?
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Thanks Pepelusky!

Jack, some of the reviewers doubt that the hinge will last. How do you feel about that?
I wondered this myself as it looks very thin in the pics.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #13
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I just got my black Kindle Leather Cover for my K4 NT. This in the non-lighted version.

Although the quality is somewhat below that of the Kindle cover for the K3/KK, it is still a good quality. The cover is very light weight and it fits the K4 NT like a glove. The K4 is held in place by a molded rubber and plastic holder that looks good and works very well. This holder allows for a secure K4 and takes very little space so it keeps the case streamlined and small. Over all this is a very nice looking, very functional, and pleasantly small and lightweight case.

It does not have a mechanism for keeping the front cover closed like the K3/KK covers. Some might like this, others not so much. I must admit I would have preferred an elastic closure band, but it is okay without one.

I really like the holding mechanism. I hate those covers that use elastic straps at the four corners. This mechanism is very elegant compared to those.

I also very much like that this case was specifically sized/designed for the smaller K4 NT rather than being a larger case designed to also work with the larger K4 Touch.

I've attached a few photos of the cover. Two of the photos show how small it is compared to the larger Marware cover I own.

What's that Kindle Tips book you have in the 3rd pic?
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

I attached some more photos showing close-ups of the cradle holding mechanism.

Quote:
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I wondered this myself as it looks very thin in the pics.
The leather (or faux leather?) is much thinner than the K3 cases, especially at the area which folds (hinges). I have no clue as to what material, if any, makes up the layer between the leather and the cloth inner surface. My eyes say this is really thin, but my touch says it feels strong. My instinct is that it would be incredibly difficult to tear it. Leather, and other layers, can be super tough, so I hope this cover is tough enough to last through tens of thousands of opening and closing actions.

EDIT: I just examined the Marware cover I purchased for $35 (only $4 less than the Amazon cover). The Marware is made of faux leather. My guess is some sort of vinyl. Although the cover is thicker than the Amazon case, it is due mostly to padding. The vinyl feels very cheap and thin and I'm thinking it is much less durable than the material (probably leather) used on the Amazon cover. I would suspect the Marware cover to wear out long before the Amazon cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Jack how thick is it on the top part? What if I had this cover and wanted to use an external clip-on light, is it too thick?
The back of the cover is a rubber and plastic cradle covered on the exterior surface with leather and molded to perfectly fit the K4. The K4 in the cover, so K4 plus back cover, is perhaps 2mm thicker than just the K4 by itself. I have a clip on light that I used with it last night and it worked very well. My clip on light clip is not hinged but has two standard sized clips and the larger one fit like a glove and securely held the light on the back cover. BTW, hopefully the clip on light will soon be a mute point for me as I hope to have the KFire in less than two weeks and will use it for low light reading and use my K4 for reading in well lighted areas!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k4-cover-01.jpg
Views:	1653
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	78612   Click image for larger version

Name:	k4-cover-02.jpg
Views:	1371
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	78613   Click image for larger version

Name:	k4-cover-03.jpg
Views:	1328
Size:	317.1 KB
ID:	78614   Click image for larger version

Name:	k4-cover-04.jpg
Views:	1422
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	78615  

Last edited by jswinden; 11-04-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
What's that Kindle Tips book you have in the 3rd pic?
Actually that isn't a book but an Amazon special offer. I have the K4 NT SO model. In this case, Amazon sent a link to an article on their CS website on how to create and use Collections. Normally we get special offers on discounts for purchases, but occasionally we just get a tip.

BTW, there is an eBook attached to the K4 NT Tips thread in the sticky area of this forum that lists all the Tips we have found so far.