Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #31
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Does Amazon even offer a reasonable selection of ebooks in Italian? Apart from German Amazon's selection of non-English books seems to be very poor.
I've come across some moaning about the Kindle's poor support of foreign language dictionaries in a German forum. Users seem to be frustrated by what's being offered there, even though I have to admit that I didn't quite get all the problems. Does the Kindle have to identify the language from the ebook file to work correctly?

Last edited by CommonReader; 05-08-2011 at 08:54 AM.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:51 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes. A Kindle book has a "language" metadata item. The Kindle uses this to look up a word in the correct dictionary. Eg, if you have a book whose metadata tells the Kindle that it's written in German, the Kindle will look up words from it in a German dictionary (if one is present).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:51 AM   #33
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
Does Amazon even offer a reasonable selection of ebooks in Italian? Apart from German Amazon's selection of non-English books seems very poor.
I've come across some moaning about the Kindle's poor support of foreign language dictionaries in a German forum. Users seem to be frustrated by what's being offered there, even though I have to admit that I didn't quite get all the problems. Does the Kindle have to identify the language from the ebook file to work correctly?
You highlight a word, and that word exists as an entry in your selected dictionary or it doesn't. In English, it idntifies root words from plurals or past tense forms. I don't know if that's 'language awareness' or just having properly crossreferenced forms in the dictionary, but I suspect the latter.

Also, I don't know how many Italian books Amazon has, but you don't need to get your books from Amazon.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #34
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes. A Kindle book has a "language" metadata item. The Kindle uses this to look up a word in the correct dictionary. Eg, if you have a book whose metadata tells the Kindle that it's written in German, the Kindle will look up words from it in a German dictionary (if one is present).
Wouldn't it just use whatever default dictionary you select regardless of any language settings?
Old 05-08-2011, 08:57 AM   #35
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Also, I don't know how many Italian books Amazon has, but you don't need to get your books from Amazon.
That may be true but I don't know about any other bookseller that sells copyright protected ebooks in mobi format. Apart from Amazon everyone else in Western Europe seems to be using epub.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Wouldn't it just use whatever default dictionary you select regardless of any language settings?
No. If you have a German dictionary installed on your Kindle, even if it's not the default dictionary, it will be used to lookup words in a German book. The default dictionary setting only applies if the default dictionary has the same language identifier as the book you're currently reading.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #37
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No. If you have a German dictionary installed on your Kindle, even if it's not the default dictionary, it will be used to lookup words in a German book. The default dictionary setting only applies if the default dictionary has the same language identifier as the book you're currently reading.
Can there be no language specified? I assume the lookup works with text files, too? Never tried.

Last edited by ApK; 05-08-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #38
CommonReader
Fanatic

Apparently Amazon in Germany hasn't been too particular about setting the language tag correctly. This is hearsay only, though. As they haven't even bothered to provide a German interface I personally do consider the claim as credible.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I too would imagine that the default dictionary would be used for a text file. But I haven't tried it either .
Old 05-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #40
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
That may be true but I don't know about any other bookseller that sells copyright protected ebooks in mobi format.
I see no reference to what type or format of content the OP is interested in.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:09 AM   #41
CommonReader
Fanatic

Quote:
I see no reference to what type or format of content the OP is interested in.
That's quite correct. However, I don't consider it as a far fetched assumption that an Italian wouldn't use an ebook reader solely to read English books. The supply of English books for the Kindle is obviously excellent.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's certainly true that Amazon up until now have concentrated primarily on English language books. They have, I believe, recently launched a German-language bookstore, so there's good reason to hope that they will expand into other languages in the future.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #43
ApK

I mean he didn't say he was primarily interest in DRM'd mainstream books. And, of course, even if it were so, that doesn't automatically disqualify the Kindle, as has been discussed to death elsewhere, but he didn't ask about that element at all.

Tags
dictionary, ereader