Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Kindle4PC - where the heck is it loaded?

I downloaded Kindle4PC today - 4 times. I never got any prompt asking where to put it. It is installed, and works correctly, but it shows it is installed in C:\Users\Debra\AppData\Local\Amazon. Well, I cannot find the file, no way, no how. I searched for it, I tried the command prompt, can't find it. I was able to right click and click properties to find out where it was. I made sure it was Read Only, and no hidden.

I have no problem finding my books, but it really bothers me I can't see where the program is. And why it isn't under "Programs", which is where all NORMAL programs are?

Can you see the file containing the program? Where you able to make it download somewhere else (I even tried logging in as an Administrator, but it loaded the program in the same place.

I realize this may sound paranoid, but that is just because Amazon appears not to have my best interests at heart.

Any help is appreciated. Debra
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
barb2cats
Connoisseur
barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle 2, iPhone, VIZIO
Does this help? Mine is located at:
C > Program Files > Amazon > Kindle For PC
barb2cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Try:
Try C:\Program Files (x86)\Amazon\Kindle For PC

(What's the purpose of making the program file itself read-only if you turn off automatic updates?)
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I think that the AppData folder is hidden. I am on a Mac so I cant help much more than that
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, that is the first place I looked. This just doesn't seem to make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
(What's the purpose of making the program file itself read-only if you turn off automatic updates?)
Same reason I have my ebook library backed up in 4 different places.
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
Mike4672
Mike4672 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 4, LG G3
The program is at the location where you believe it is. The problem is that Windows Explorer won't show the AppData folder. I suppose it's a hidden system folder of some sort.

I can see the folder and the program exactly where you said it would be on my computer, however, I use a file manager as opposed to using Windows Explorer, therefore I can see hidden system folders.
Mike4672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:18 PM   #7
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Go to Windows Explorer.

From the Menu bar, go to Tools --> Folder Options

In the View tab, select "Show hidden files, folders and drives."

If that's the issue, that should do it.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #8
Mike4672
Mike4672 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 4, LG G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
Go to Windows Explorer.

From the Menu bar, go to Tools --> Folder Options

In the View tab, select "Show hidden files, folders and drives."

If that's the issue, that should do it.

That works too.
Mike4672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:07 AM   #9
drl
drl began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR800
I right clicked on the desktop shortcut and chose "properties" and the location of the executable on my pc is: "C:\Users\xxxyour name\AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle For PC\application\KindleForPC.exe". A strange location for a program file indeed.

Cheers.
DRL
drl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
alee
Connoisseur
alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Earlier versions of Kindle4PC installed into C:\Program Files\... while recent versions install into C:\Users\...\AppData\... Google Chrome also installs into C:\Users\...\AppData\...
alee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:54 PM   #11
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Thanks so much for the help. Amazon IS playing with us!