Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-26-2009, 12:45 AM   #1
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Looking for source of crashes ...

Well, my son's PPro is in and working, but he is reporting multiple crashes per day. I'm not concerned yet. I knew I was getting an early generation device. I thought I'd tap into the collective experience as I try to track down the cause. I know that most of you haven't reported similar issues, so I assume its something specific to my situation. So let me describe my situation:

1) I am using just the built-in memory. (See the post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60413 ; I suspect that the SD card may be a battery drain problem.)

2) I have between 300 and 400 books stored on the built-in memory, but I still have plenty of memory left.

3) All of the books are stored in .mobi format.

4) The particular books being read are from Baen: Weber's War God (Oath of Swords) book one and two.

5) However, the books themselves were mobi books that calibre created. In order to update the meta-information I took the original DRM-free Baen book and modified the meta-information and then created a new mobi book.

I'm assuming that the problem lies somewhere in the steps above.

As a first step, I'll try converting the books to epub and reading them in that format. Next, I'll try the original books from Baen (ie no conversion through Calibre). Depending on what I find my trouble shooting steps might head different ways.

Anyway, I'm hoping you will report your crash experiences both negative and positive. I'm also looking to hear about the situation (book formats, sources of books, memory locations, etc) you've used when the system has either crashed or not crashed. I hope this'll shortcut my diagnosis process.

Thx,
MLH
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
I believe the .prc (Mobi) crashes more than other formats.

Did you install the available firmware. I think it might help.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 01:31 AM   #3
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
The only issue I have had is the PP "appears" to lock up when reading one of my generated .mobi from Calibre (and a slight increase in power usage). I have had no other problems with .epub (both DRM and non-DRM), .pdf and .fb2 (havent tried any others as yet).

I think a conversion to .epub will solve the problem.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
rling
Connoisseur
rling began at the beginning.

Device: Mentor Lite, Nook Color, Pocket Pro
Had a few lock-up on loading and sometimes turning pages with .mobi format books. Turning device off and on fixes this. Have since switched to epub, and have not had any lock ups over the past 2 weeks of reading.
rling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
Toeknee
Enthusiast
Toeknee began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZReader Pro
I had some problems with .mobi books as well. Holding the "Exit" button (left half of the circle thingy) has always recovered for me. A full power down also resolved the problem till the next lockup.
Toeknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I too have had issues with mobi ebooks the ones I converted using calibre as well as converted using the mobireader software.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #7
bbqncigars
PDA dino
bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, Rooted NC, Voyages(2)
MLH: I think you might want to download the Epub versions from Baen. I plan on doing that for all my current mobi files to avoid problems with my PP.
bbqncigars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:59 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I suspect the mobi firmware has a memory leak and eventually runs out.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:01 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I suspect the mobi firmware has a memory leak and eventually runs out.

Dale
Maybe that is what is causing the paint to wrinkle
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote