7" 15 22.06%
9" 18 26.47%
11" 11 16.18%
13.9" (the diagonal of an 8.5" x 11" page) 3 4.41%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Ideal Screen SIze

How big would you like your screen to be?

Assume that they introduce plastic screens to replace the glass screens so weight is not a problem, what would be your ideal screen size?

Some of the choices exist in the market, others are not made that I know about.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I like the 5 or 6 inch for reading fiction.

*IF* I were to look for a reader for technical documents -- work or study -- then a 9-inch with the ability to rotate 90-degrees or an 11-inch sounds about right.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Personally I would prefer a screen with at least a 9" diagonal. That way I could read stuff like formatted documents and graphic novels comfortably. On the other hand devices with 5-6" screens, which are fine for novels, offer a considerable edge when it comes to portability.

Oy vey... this is why I'm a proponent of flexible displays. You get the best of both worlds! Until then it looks like owning two devices is the best compromise.

Last edited by Dylrob; 09-03-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I too favor the 9" size as it is about one-half of an 8.5 x 11 at 8.5 high x 5.5 wide
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #5
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I think it all depends on the use you intend it for. But if you could have only one, and based on your assumptions, I chose 11".

And the term "diameter" kind of threw me a bit, but I guess it is a reasonable substitute for "diagonal screen size".
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I think Elsi is right - it depends on your purpose.

For reading novels a 5" is fine. Easy to carry around. I have 2 6" devices and I'm mainly using the 5".

If I needed to read more complicated documents I'd go for one of the big screens.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:47 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I can't choose...

I want a 5" one for traveling purposes (holidays and shorter journeys) and I want a 14" for technical books (and comics).

So, a multiple choice would be nice

(oh, and there's a typo in the list too! " 5: ")
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:57 AM   #8
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
Voted for the six inch screen but as others have said it depends on what you want to read and I also think refresh rate would be important as well as color. Fiction works well on the smaller sizes but technical papers and drawings really need something larger.

What we really need is a six diagonal screen reader with the ability to project a holographic representation of any pictures, charts or drawings. Thats the one I want.
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #9
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
It really should be multiple choice. Given it could be a lightweight device with a plasticbased screen, then a 7-8" would be great for fiction and 14" for tech books and comics (colour of course). Anything smaller for portability should be a smartphone (I've been eyeing the new HTC models with Android OS)
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:33 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrell View Post
Voted for the six inch screen but as others have said it depends on what you want to read and I also think refresh rate would be important as well as color. Fiction works well on the smaller sizes but technical papers and drawings really need something larger.

What we really need is a six diagonal screen reader with the ability to project a holographic representation of any pictures, charts or drawings. Thats the one I want.
i want that one too.

actually i can't decide what to vote. i've currently got several 6" devices and i like them for reading fiction at home, but i've got my eye on an opus (5") for carrying around with me. i'm not sure i'd want a larger screen but if i did it would definitely not be my *only* device.

alternately, i'd like a 6" screen which could be unfolded to make a double-size seamless-display screen, just in case i need a larger display (i think that would be rare for me, but i can imagine cases where it could be nice). it should be colour, ultra-lightweight, very high definition too. since we're dreaming.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #11
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
A really tough question. For casual novel reading, a 6" screen is great. But if I want to read news articles, something technical, or something with graphics, then I want something much larger - but I still want to stuff it in my pocket if I can. I guess this is the purported reason the Apple iSlate or iPad or whatever still doesn't exist. So I'll cheat and say that the screen I'd like to have is no screen at all. Instead, I'd like to pull out a pair of viewing glasses from my pocket and read everything in high resolution, full color, with a large apparent viewing area project on the inside of the glasses. Oh, and there should be dancing girls, too.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #12
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
A really tough question. For casual novel reading, a 6" screen is great. But if I want to read news articles, something technical, or something with graphics, then I want something much larger - but I still want to stuff it in my pocket if I can. I guess this is the purported reason the Apple iSlate or iPad or whatever still doesn't exist. So I'll cheat and say that the screen I'd like to have is no screen at all. Instead, I'd like to pull out a pair of viewing glasses from my pocket and read everything in high resolution, full color, with a large apparent viewing area project on the inside of the glasses. Oh, and there should be dancing girls, too.
Do they have those glasses with dancing guys too? If not, I'd vote for 6''...
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
None of the sizes mentioned in the poll.
8" screen, like iRex iLiad but in Sony's execution. I would even forgive touch screen's associated problems then although, in standard ratio version (not this tall daily freak).
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:03 PM   #14
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I'm happy with my 6" screen.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:45 PM   #15
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
I can't answer this poll!
I have to see them and hold them to make that decision!
I'm sure each size has its advantages
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote