Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Displaying metadata on Android?

I read a post about transferring metadata to a Kindle (can't be done) but I'm in the middle of moving to an Android tablet. I've been using Mobipocket to read & Mobicreator to modify the title to display the series & sequence. In Calibre that's stored in the metadata-so I'm trying to find an Android reader app that will display the metadata from Calibre. Do you know of any?

Note that I can't use Calibre as a content server. (Or won't-maybe I could set it up, I'm not sure of that, but I won't leave my PC on when I'm not home.)

Thanks.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Mantano lets you search and set tags, and also read comments. Using folders in the save template you can also easily create collections.

Collections can be used to group books like Classics, SF, Fantasy, Nonfiction and so on. Whatever you want.

You can list books using Author, Title or Series. Also rating, access and added. And one collection at a time, if you wish. Also recently read or in a specific folder or recently added an so on. Quick to switch views.

Only ePub and pdf... But Calibre can easily convert mobi - > ePub.

Last edited by Adoby; 01-11-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I'll take a look at Mantano. Will it pick up the tags & comments from Calibre or will I need to re-enter them? No problem with formats-I only use mobi because of my Palm. Once that's gone I'll use whatever format is required by whatever reader app I end up using. Hopefully ePub but format is not one of my criteria for choosing an app.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:28 AM   #4
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Yes, Mantano displays tags set from Calibre. Tags and comments, for instance.

Mantano is good if you keep a lot of books on your device. It is almost as fast and good as Calibre to help you find a book. And ePub is relatively efficient with storage. I have around 2200 books on my tablet, and it takes up less than 8GB. Some of them, mainly nonfiction, are large PDFs.

The only wierd thing is that it doesn't support Author Sort directly, so you have to fix that using a plugboard when you send the books. Set Authors to Author Sort.

I would have liked to be able to map tags set in Calibre to Collections in Mantano, to automatically group newly added books in collections. Currently I use a special #Coll tag that I use to create a subfolder for each collection. In Mantano I list all books in each folder and assign them to different collections that way. Works fine, but it would have been nice if that could have been automated during import.

Last edited by Adoby; 01-12-2013 at 04:47 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:07 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
I read a post about transferring metadata to a Kindle (can't be done) but I'm in the middle of moving to an Android tablet. I've been using Mobipocket to read & Mobicreator to modify the title to display the series & sequence. In Calibre that's stored in the metadata-so I'm trying to find an Android reader app that will display the metadata from Calibre. Do you know of any?

Note that I can't use Calibre as a content server. (Or won't-maybe I could set it up, I'm not sure of that, but I won't leave my PC on when I'm not home.)

Thanks.
The Calibre Companion app can display all calibre metadata including custom columns. It can also group on most metadata (text-based columns) and sort on several standard metadata items. The metadata is updated on the device every time you connect to calibre as a wireless device, avoiding the "must resend the book to get new metadata" problem that most reader apps have.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
calvin-c
Guru

What I've read about Calibre Companion says it uses Calibre's content server function. As I said, I don't use the function in Calibre. Perhaps I've misunderstood what I've read about the app though? After re-reading your link I note that it says it *can* use the content server, not that it must do so. I'd give it a try if it were free. Or I'll pay for it if you can verify that it will do what I want, i.e. get Calibre's metadata without using the content server. Thanks. (A note to the developers if they happen to read this. I'm willing to pay for an app I'll continue using, but not willing to pay for one that I'm testing.)
Old 01-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What I've read about Calibre Companion says it uses Calibre's content server function. As I said, I don't use the function in Calibre. Perhaps I've misunderstood what I've read about the app though? After re-reading your link I note that it says it *can* use the content server, not that it must do so. I'd give it a try if it were free. Or I'll pay for it if you can verify that it will do what I want, i.e. get Calibre's metadata without using the content server. Thanks. (A note to the developers if they happen to read this. I'm willing to pay for an app I'll continue using, but not willing to pay for one that I'm testing.)
I am one of the developers of calibre companion (CC), as well as of calibre.

You can use the wireless device driver, the content server, or both interchangably. You must use one of them to get books onto your device; which one is up to you. From your problem description you would want to use the wireless device driver, connecting to calibre and then managing the library on the device using calibre's device functions.

I cannot guarantee that it will do what you want, or that it does what you want in a way that you like. I can guarantee that it downloads calibre's metadata for books and makes that metadata available off-line. In addition, and as we say in the description on CC's Google Play page, we will give you a refund within some reasonable time (for example a week, not 6 months) if you aren't satisfied. There is no benefit to us in having an unhappy user. There is also no benefit to us in offering a function-reduced free version that will simply invite 1-star reviews for being function-reduced.

Do note that CC is not a reader app. Instead it uses the app(s) on your device for reading. CC works well with FBReader, Moon+, and (I think) Mantano. It works well with Cool Reader for epubs but not mobis (Cool Reader doesn't "advertise" on the device that it supports mobi). Aldiko works, but it seems to make another copy of the book instead of opening CC's copy directly. Kindle 4 Android is supported as best we can, but not as well as the others. I used FBReader until very recently, when I switched to Moon+. When I acquired another device I wanted to sync reading positions as I swapped between my devices, and Moon+ supports such syncing.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
calvin-c
Guru

I suspected, from your post, that you had something to do with CC. I suppose I can see your point about the function-reduced evaluation. I've run across some of that type of review myself-and recognized them as being posted by idiots. Oh well, you can't get rid of them, can you?

I appreciate your clarification about being able to use the wireless connection without the content server. As for it fitting my needs, I really should have phrased that differently. As you point out, how could you possibly guarantee that if I can't even make my needs clear? (I ignored the refund part-it generally takes me quite a while to really evaluate a product. First I have to learn the ins & outs of it, then I need to see how far I can push it towards doing what I want. All this while doing other time-consuming things. I typically figure 6 months before I'm satisfied that an app is a keeper. OTOH I can often downcheck them a lot faster-so I guess it's all in how you look at it.)

I do appreciate your clarification about the reader app-I hadn't caught that in the description. I don't see that as being a problem, I'll find one that works with it. (The installed app on my tablet might. I haven't been able to find a 'brand' for it, just that it's the ASUS Transformer eBook reader app. It seems to work well for ePubs though and seems to find them wherever they're located so I assume it'll work with CC. If not then I'll find another app that will.)

Thanks for your advice. I'll give CC a try.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks for your advice. I'll give CC a try.
I hope it works for you. If it doesn't, please let us know why. I won't promise that we will "make it right", but we will certainly consider any issues you raise. Without user feedback we don't even have the option of deciding not to do something, much less deciding to add functionality or change how CC behaves.