Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #616
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Me too. I'd love to be able to post that my fictionwise library had finally turned up at nook.co.uk.

No sign of it yet.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #617
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'm going to miss them! RIP Fictionwise! Thank you for lovely discounts and wonderful books.

I was one of the lucky ones who got their library transferred early. I still find myself lost at B&N. I miss FW!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #618
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I never received a letter or anything from Fictionwise. Luckily, I did not have many (around 20) books on their site and so I just downloaded them all to my PC. I did enjoy a few of those super discounts and will miss them.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #619
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I'll miss the discounts, as well. As will the folks who put out Ellery Queen's and Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazines. I still buy Asimov's and Analog at B&N, but the loss of discounts -- and the additional hoops I have to jump through -- means that it's no longer worth the trouble to get them.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:11 AM   #620
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well here's something interesting...Tonight I open one of my FW epub's from B&N with winrar only discovered it was epub made with Calibre!

So I went back to original one with DRM still on it and sure enough it's Calibre version converted with calibre (0.6.16) from the opf.
So I opened up another one calibre (0.5.1) and calibre (0.5.14) well you get the picture....I had no clue B&N was using Calibre.

These are all straight from the nook site not added to Calibre. Open one up and take a look for yourself. You don't need to remove the drm to read opf in notepad.
Advert
Old 02-07-2013, 03:16 AM   #621
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Publishers not able to use real software.... (Becasue seriously, calibre converted code suks). I ussually spot someting weirdo with the code before I see the cause of it.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:25 AM   #622
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Publishers not able to use real software.... (Becasue seriously, calibre converted code suks). I ussually spot someting weirdo with the code before I see the cause of it.
It's not all FW now Nook books I have found several that are available in epub from the publisher elsewhere are indeed the publisher's version in my Nook Library but those that aren't available as epub were converted with Calibre.

I'm just shocked because the formatting was horrible. Not saying Calibre is the blame just someone who doesn't know how to use the program. I went back to my original copy from FW and converted with Calibre and it looks perfect. Geesh!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:28 AM   #623
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It's not all FW now Nook books I have found several that are available in epub from the publisher elsewhere are indeed the publisher's version in my Nook Library but those that aren't available as epub were converted with Calibre.

I'm just shocked because the formatting was horrible. Not saying Calibre is the blame just someone who doesn't know how to use the program. I went back to my original copy from FW and converted with Calibre and it looks perfect. Geesh!
To calibre's defense, conversion is a tricky business. And if the original file is garbage, well... garbage in, garbage out.

Using calibre professionally is not option, unless you use sigil after to clean up. Well, even the adobe software or jutho wouldn't give you something absolutely clean.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:32 AM   #624
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
weeps

empty !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #625
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
To calibre's defense, conversion is a tricky business. And if the original file is garbage, well... garbage in, garbage out.

Using calibre professionally is not option, unless you use sigil after to clean up. Well, even the adobe software or jutho wouldn't give you something absolutely clean.
As I said in my post above the original FW version converts perfect. Who every converted it didn't know what they were doing and the Nook version is horrible, not Calibre's fault because my version looks fine after I converted to epub. So who knows what they did to it.

Last edited by Blossom; 02-07-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #626
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
I believe Baen uses Calibre on their multiple format books. I've not seen any issues with theirs, so obviously they found a template that worked and used it to batch convert the books.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #627
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I think the difference is that Baen has been doing eBooks for a very long time and care about the quality of their product.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #628
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Well here's something interesting...Tonight I open one of my FW epub's from B&N with winrar only discovered it was epub made with Calibre!
FW used Calibre for their Multiformat ePub's from the time they first started offering ePub as a format.

The formatting of most FW multiformat ebooks has always been shoddy. According to a few publishers I talked to it had to do with FW's rules for submitting books and FW was very unresponsive to pubs when it came to fixing problems.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #629
gstew
gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: HTC HD2 & One X
That's interesting..

Backstory... I opted in day 1, got a few books transferred then with the bulk coming a few weeks later in the process after a few calls & Cust Support tickets. But just before F-wise shut down for commerce, I purchased most of the items on my wish list which didn't appear to be available from B&N, some 40 or so books and stories. These have been AWOL in my B&N bookshelf since then, even after quite a few more calls & tickets.

I checked today about a week after my last call to CS & I am AMAZED, THEY ARE THERE in my B&N bookshelf!

That lines up with my impression that the last time I called CS, they seemed to be more knowledgable about the process and provided more complete, believable, and realistic answers.

While I had already re-backed-up my F-Wise & EReader items... and with the help of those posting details in this thread, liberated them, it's nice to have them all in one bookshelf with an ok reader for access.

That doesn't excuse that the process has been a slow-motion, self-inflicted trainwreck since the beginning. And with the post-Christmas news about B&N's disappointing sales, I plan to DL, liberate, & archive the rest of my items that I'd purchased directly through B&N.

I am still amazed at how inept this process has been. I guess that my experiences with B&N's website (try searching for Science Fiction writers Robert Reed or John Barnes to see what I mean) and Fictionwise after their purchase (I fought with them to get an Android version of EReader that'd decrypt their DRM on my Android 4.0.4 phone... and they never came through) should have prepared me.

And what makes me so sad is that they could have made us old F-Wise & Ereader customers raving fans if they had just done this transfer well! Or even just provided good information and support after their initial epic fail!!!

But it does say something to me that they did what they said, at least for me. And will say more if everyone here has gotten their F-Wise & Ereader bookshelves transferred over before they shut down this process.

Thanks all here for all the news and support.

And everyone who hasn't gotten their books yet, my advice is just keep on calling CS & submitting tickets.

Greg in Mississippi

Last edited by gstew; 02-08-2013 at 11:02 PM.
gstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:13 AM   #630
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Good grief! I just went to nook.co.uk and I have books in my library! I actually have books from Fictionwise transferred to my nook UK library!

Now to see how many!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote