Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 01:25 AM   #1
mockingbird
mockingbird began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx graphite
successfully installing bin files using exec

in case no one has tried yet...
since i can't access settings menu, i tried installing firmware update 3.0.3 using ~exec and it was a success.

context: jailbroken kindle with ss and fonts hacks
no usbnetwork hack

on kindle 3 w
;debugOn
~exec /mnt/us/folder_name_in_case_file_is_not_placed_in_kindle_r oot/Update_kindle_3.0.3_B008.bin
rebooted kindle then after a few seconds screen displayed update successful.

after that, i installed update_usbnetwork_0.28.N_k3w_install.bin using this method. Now my kindle has usbnetwork hack also.

if these things can be done, is it possible to reset kindle to factory settings using ~exec?
mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:24 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Most, if not all, kindle haven't got the ~exec scripts left, so, unless you put them on manually that's only useful to a really, really low number of people (because you'd have to get a root shell in the first place to put them in, which means you wouldn't really need the ~exec command). (And the 3.0.3 update just killed them, btw ^^).

And, to answer your question, why try to do it this way, when you can already just hold [HOME] during a cold boot?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 03:56 AM   #3
mockingbird
mockingbird began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx graphite
thanks! kindle is perfectly working now.
mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote