Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-17-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
What's your favorite Agatha Christie?

Currently watching a Poirot mystery on PBS (thanks Tivo!)- not sure which one. As for the books, I've only read one and I loved it (of course) - "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd." I did get "The Mysterious Affair at Styles" from here but haven't read it yet.

So, what's your favorite, or favorites? I expect to see an answer from you, DGma!!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
the murder of roger ackroyd is excellent, but i think my favourites are the ones with miss marple. i'm not sure i can choose just *one* favourite but among my favourites are (oh, monty python flashback...)
the murder at the vicarage (maybe my favourite of all)
the body in the library
4.50 from Paddington
sleeping murder

and all the short stories are great too.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
the murder of roger ackroyd is excellent, but i think my favourites are the ones with miss marple. i'm not sure i can choose just *one* favourite but among my favourites are (oh, monty python flashback...)
the murder at the vicarage (maybe my favourite of all)
the body in the library
4.50 from Paddington
sleeping murder

and all the short stories are great too.
I like the Miss Marple ones I watch on PBS, so presumably I'd like those books best too
Old 08-17-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I like the Miss Marple ones I watch on PBS, so presumably I'd like those books best too
they're all good, but she's a really funny character. i really recommend those books (all of them. don't ask me to pick one. )
Old 08-17-2009, 07:25 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
they're all good, but she's a really funny character. i really recommend those books (all of them. don't ask me to pick one. )
We'll see which one gets the most votes
Old 08-17-2009, 07:25 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
We'll see which one gets the most votes
wait, is this a poll ?
Old 08-17-2009, 07:31 PM   #7
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I love the Marple ones best too. My all time favourite is The Moving Finger. Possibly it was the first Christie I read. I remember I bought my first copy at a used book stall at my high school while I was a pupil. It had belonged to the Principal. I now have 4 versions: paper, e, audiobook and audio dramatisation. Wonder if there is a dvd to get next.

Problem is, I find they change the storyline when they do them for television.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
wait, is this a poll ?
Kind of Just not the kind of one with choices at the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post

Problem is, I find they change the storyline when they do them for television.
Well that would make me feel better then to read ones that I've already seen!
Old 08-17-2009, 07:48 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Well that would make me feel better then to read ones that I've already seen!
even if you've seen them, they're worth reading. the books are really good. i never get tired of them, even when i know the plot by heart. i can't even tell you how many times i've read "murder at the vicarage." and roger ackroyd as well. and others...
Old 08-17-2009, 07:57 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
even if you've seen them, they're worth reading. the books are really good. i never get tired of them, even when i know the plot by heart. i can't even tell you how many times i've read "murder at the vicarage." and roger ackroyd as well. and others...
I think I saw a part of Murder at the Vicarage, but I can't remember what happens. Eh screw it, I'll buy it

by the by, Alan Cumming is doing the introduction for this episode. *swoon*
Old 08-17-2009, 08:00 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

i love alan cumming. what are you watching ?
Old 08-17-2009, 08:15 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
i love alan cumming. what are you watching ?
I thought it was going to be a Miss Marple (some kind of spice in the pocket? I missed it), but I guess Tivo skipped that one and recorded Inspector Lewis instead.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:15 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

pocket full of rye, you must be thinking of. which one is alan cumming in then ? inspector lewis ?
Old 08-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
pocket full of rye, you must be thinking of. which one is alan cumming in then ? inspector lewis ?
Yeah, that's it. Alan isn't in them at all, just did a little intro in the beginning. For the Poirot one he talked about how Christie got really irritated with Poirot in the end (apparantly his mannerisms drove her crazy?)
Old 08-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #15
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
They came to Baghdad.

"A secret summit of superpowers is to be held in Baghdad, but it is no longer secret, and a shadowy fascist group is plotting to sabotage the event. Things get complicated when enthusiastic young tourist Victoria Jones discovers a dying secret British agent Henry "Fakir" Carmichael in her hotel room, his last words - "Lucifer...Basrah...Lefarge" - propel her into investigation."

The hero of the book is an archeologist like her husband.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote