Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-01-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad
Lightbulb Engraved Reader?

Has anyone had their reader engraved?? Did you like the results??
I’m thinking of having my name, address engraved on my reader but I’m a bit worried that it might spoil it/harm it in some way. Thoughts?

ETA: I wonder if all readers can be engraved or if some will suffer more damage.
ChipnDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Mine is engraved with:

She reads too many books
& it has turned her brain

I like having the engraving. Doesn't seem to cause any change in structural integrity--it's a very light etching on the surface between the two sets of buttons. Keep in mind there's a very sharp character limit; it's two lines max, and about 25 characters. (They're not all the same size; you can get away with more i's and l's than m's and w's.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
The Mrs had mine engraved at a local shopping mall, one of those kiosk places that seem to engrave anything. They did a good job. Mine says " Enjoy This Reader, Don't Forget To Take Out The Trash"
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
The Mrs had mine engraved at a local shopping mall, one of those kiosk places that seem to engrave anything. They did a good job. Mine says " Enjoy This Reader, Don't Forget To Take Out The Trash"
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lol! Is it the front or the back thats engraved?
Old 03-01-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I've engraved all the iPods I've bought and it's usually with name and date of purchase. (the date because it usually ends up as a Christmas gift). I figure it's a good way to guard against theft, or at least prove ownership. I didn't do it for the reader though, I know you can't return it if you do, and since I'm new to the device, I guess I don't trust it as much. If you want it engraved though, I say go for it!
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I considered having mine engraved but it occurred to me that would make it difficult to sell were I to want to do that. Instead I just put mine name and number on a piece of lable tape and stuck it on the back.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:30 PM   #8
dschill
Connoisseur
dschill began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have my engraved it doesnt hurt a thing
dschill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #9
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
She had mine engraved on the back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDale View Post
Lol! Is it the front or the back thats engraved?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers

Well mine was a b-day gift from my bff so I won't ever sell/trade it....thanks everyone, it's good to know that it won't be harmed and can be done.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:06 AM   #11
InspectorGadget
Enthusiast
InspectorGadget is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500
Colored, anodized aluminum engraves really well with Nd:YAG laser. My friend has a laser marking shop and we can do really elaborate things with designs and images and different fonts. Haven't engraved mine.
InspectorGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:15 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschill View Post
I have my engraved it doesnt hurt a thing
It makes it virtually unsellable. I wouldn't have it engraved personally because I end up selling almost all my "gadgets".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:39 AM   #13
drew00149
Connoisseur
drew00149 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, iRex iLiad, HTC Kaiser
I was gonna get mine engraved because it was free from Sony Style. But then I realized I had nothing clever to put on it...
drew00149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:35 PM   #14
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew00149 View Post
I was gonna get mine engraved because it was free from Sony Style. But then I realized I had nothing clever to put on it...
How about "To my wife, Michelle, from Barack Obama". Then in a few years you could probably sell it for big bucks to some unsuspecting collector.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:43 PM   #15
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers

Right after he comes up with a clever story on how exactly he got his hands on Michelle Obamas reader...and that she owned a reader in the first place (I mean we all know about Barack and his Blackberry) not to be a buzz kill, just saying.